Thinking of using Ford Yellow in place of Dex-Cool on my LSx vehicles

To simplify coolants on hand, I am considering using it in my LSx-based vehicles that originally have Dex-Cool in them. Thoughts?

My 2019 F-150 takes the new Ford Yellow Coolant, the VC-13G. Reading on here and other parts of the net, I see that this coolant superseded the Ford Orange (Dex-Cool Clone) coolant, and that it is safe to top off existing Orange fills with.

My thinking is, (A) Ford superseded their Dex-Cool with this and it is safe to mix, (B) it is in the new Ford engines that have similar construction to GM LS. Think the 7.3 gasser with iron block, alum. heads and pushrods.

Thanks.

It looks very likely it is the same, which would be good, as the Prestone is a fraction of the cost. I'm going to assume it is and put the Prestone in my Ford van in 2 years.
Ford was asking for Prestone Cor-guard to be used in one TSB before their "new" yellow antifreeze was officially launched.

Wait, if the new Ford yellow is Prestone, don't use it. Get Peak 10x instead :)
On the surface, the new Prestone's test data looks impressive. It also contains phosphates.

Ford was asking for Prestone Cor-guard to be used in one TSB before their "new" yellow antifreeze was officially launched.

On the surface, the new Prestone's test data looks impressive. It also contains phosphates.
Does the Ford yellow contain phosphates? And what is bad about phosphates? I'm not a chemist nor a metals expert, so not sure what is good, bad, or indifferent about phosphates.

You can bet GM will be changing to a 10 year coolant soon to remain competitive. They’ll probably either stick with some Dexcool variation or use something similar to the new Ford yellow or Prestone 10 year with Cor Guard. Ten year coolant is the new norm.

You can bet GM will be changing to a 10 year coolant soon to remain competitive. They’ll probably either stick with some Dexcool variation or use something similar to the new Ford yellow or Prestone 10 year with Cor Guard. Ten year coolant is the new norm.

GM has been using the same coolant for their entire global lineup since 1997 so 24 years now, and in that time many of their competitors have switched coolant formulas many times (Ford is on formula #5, Mercedes on #3, VW on #5, etc). Modern OAT based coolants are very long lasting and many cars go to the junkyard with their factory fill coolant still in them. Dex-cool doesn't have a longevity problem, so if it ain't broke don't fix it.

You are absolutely correct; but I have 3 gm vehicles each with less than 2 year old Dexcool in each vehicle, and I have 3 sealed gallons of Dexcool concentrate on shelves in my garage; and more gallons of distilled water than I need. I use Phoenix test strips for coolant and brake fluid testing https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Syst...rds=phoenix+test+strips&qid=1609362973&sr=8-2 I'm not buying any "ten year coolant" until my current supplies are used and depleted....
And with the current condition of the globe, my supplies may last until time is no more....

GM has been using the same coolant for their entire global lineup since 1997 so 24 years now, and in that time many of their competitors have switched coolant formulas many times (Ford is on formula #5, Mercedes on #3, VW on #5, etc). Modern OAT based coolants are very long lasting and many cars go to the junkyard with their factory fill coolant still in them. Dex-cool doesn't have a longevity problem, so if it ain't broke don't fix it.
24 years? Time for a change. It’s a big deal to offer a 10 year maintenance interval for coolant. Why? Because most new car owners will never have to deal with the coolant. They will sell the car by then. Lease companies willing be able to flip the car and not have to put it in the shop. Used car buyers don’t have to worry if the owners maintained the coolant, generating more interest in such cars, possibly increasing the price. Overall a win-win although the coolant manufacturers would rather have you buy twice as much 5 year coolant.

Last edited:
Back