Thinking of switching to amsoil in 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
1995 Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series 4.5 1fz-fe with 239350 miles. I love I n south Florida. So no real cold temps. I just bought the truck and she is running great. Slight oil leak from the distributor not bad just damp around it. Have to clean the front of engine to check for anything else. Daily driver for now with some off road mixed in and pulling boats to 21 ft. . My question is I love amsoil products and I just did oil change when I got the truck with conventional oil but was wondering on thought of switching to amsoil synthetic at this mileage. I have never switched with so many miles. I am switching to amsoil severe gear for the differentials front and rear and the transfer case. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
In my opinion, it is a waste of money and wont add any life to your Toyota. Amsoil is all about marketing and I don't like the silly approach they take.

Switched my new-to-me 2000 4Runner with 245,500 miles to synthetic last summer when I bought it. I ran cheap conventional in it for 1k miles just to make sure everything was ok and then made the switch. No problems. Amsoil is a little much for your vehicle, not as easy to get as the majors and pricey for my wallet. If it was mine I'd run a HM oil.

I run Amsoil in everything I own; and I don't care if the Amsoil haters and mockers pour sand in their crankcases. Do whatever lets you sleep at night. BTW,
welcome2.gif

A large percent of the service life on this vehicle has been consumed. The vehicle is old (23 years old) and will require a larger amount of time and money to keep it working properly. Plastics and rubber deteriorate, corrosion sets in and affects electrical connectors and other metals. Interior fabrics and polymers wear/tear/deplete to the point of unserviceability.

A far better investment of your time and resources could go to other aspects of this vehicle than paying a premium on motor oil. A regular service interval consisting of specified parts and chemicals would likely be more beneficial for long term ownership.

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil
I run Amsoil in everything I own; and I don't care if the Amsoil haters and mockers pour sand in their crankcases. Do whatever lets you sleep at night. BTW,
welcome2.gif

Why do people get upset at what others use in their vehicles?
Makes no sense. If you are here pushing your wares daily here under false pretenses then I can see people getting upset.

It is all very childish.

Switching to synthetic at high mileage on a vehicle that you do not know the service history of = expect oil leaks. That goes double for axles.
You're in Florida, you can keep it simple with a thicc conventional oil. The theoretical upgrade in protection is not worth springing leaks on an otherwise OK car.
I think synthetic is for running long OCIs, I am not sure that it has any increased protective abilities from my research on this board. I've seen valvetrain shots of cars on a steady diet of dino their entire lives that have varnish, and others that are clean as a whistle.

At that mileage I wouldn't switch to syn, especially if it's ran conventional it's whole life. Run a good premium conventional like PYB, GSGB, VWB or Castrol GTX and change every 5000 miles. It's a Toyota, realistically, it would likely run 300k miles on extra virgin olive oil! They're not picky engines.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Switching to synthetic at high mileage on a vehicle that you do not know the service history of = expect oil leaks. That goes double for axles.

Jeez. Really? Proof?

I say definitely go for the Amsoil if that's what you're wanting to use. We all have our oil faves and use them,although mine seem to change all the time haha
laugh.gif
Contact Pablo here,he will get you the best deal possible on Amsoil.

My '85 Bronco 5.8L had 218k miles on it when I switched it from conventional to Amsoil. No leaks and at 297k miles when I pulled the engine (swapped in a 460 BBF), it still wasn't leaking.

Yes,
welcome2.gif

Switching to any synthetic at very high miles has the potential to find weak seals. Sounds like you're in to wrenching a bit on an older vehicle, so I'd say go for it.

Amsoil will rebuild the engine as you drive . Amsoil is good oil but I doubt there will be any benefits of negatives.

With nearly 240K miles I'd continue using what ever oil that was used before, or something cheap and easy to obtain.

Thank you all for the input. I only have 150 miles on the oil change with pennzoil conventional oil with 1 qt marvel mystery oil. Notice I have very slow leak from distributer and will replace the o ring there. Going to clean the engine with degreaser and will see what else I find. Think i might make the switch if i don't find anything else. Thank you all for the advice and the warm welcome to the site.

Let us know what you find out. Use if you use Amsoil close to the recommended interval it is cost effective. You could also continue to use Pennzoil because if the oil meets specs it is the least of your worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back