Thinking of switching from M1 oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I own a 2011 Silverado 6.2L, and I have been running Mobil 1 in my last 2 trucks for probably 5 years now. Lately I have been seeing around the net that Mobil 1 might not be preventing wear as good as it should be. I've always wondered how Castrol Edge is, and I was thinking about trying it, but then I started hearing good things about Pennzoil Ultra. I never really liked Pennzoil, but it's hard to ignore the Ultra since it has a lot of good reviews. So my question is am I being too paranoid about M1 and stick with it or try one of these other two oils? If I stay with Mobil I am going to EP regardless, but these other oils have me curious...

Last edited:
Mobil 1 is fine. From what I've seen from actual papers, we're talking a difference in wear that is negligible over 300,000 miles.

I have four jugs of Mobil 1 sitting in my basement right now that I plan to use very soon with full confidence.

The difference in wear between M1 and almost any other oil out there is so negligible that you may as well say there isn't one.

Wear depends on weather, condition of the engine, driving style, fuel quality, how much load you're towing, the type of engine, etc...

welcome2.gif

I think you're being paranoid, which is typical when joining here. I was exactly the same way, and have changed a bit since joining. Spend some time here reading and you'll learn that as long as you use a quality oil and filter your car will fall apart long before it fails because of the oil you picked. Mobil 1 is an excellent choice. I'd love to see someone prove an engine will last any longer using any of the oils you've mentioned compared to Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
The difference in wear between M1 and almost any other oil out there is so negligible that you may as well say there isn't one.

Wear depends on weather, condition of the engine, driving style, fuel quality, how much load you're towing, the type of engine, etc...

My driving style is somewhat agressive. I pass a good bit of people at pretty hard throttle, and run WOT maybe twice a week or so from a start. I always let it idle for maybe 3 minutes tops in the summer, and maybe 5 minutes or so in the winter before leaving to go to or from work. My drive to work is 9 miles one way. I use premium 93 octane fuel at all times, and I haven't been hauling much in the last year, but I will be hauling alot of wood soon if I buy a house I'm looking at.

Last edited:
It depends which Mobil 1 you are using, as they all have different add packs. In general terms M1 was designed for long OCI's, which means it has a fair amount of Calcium based detergent and dispersants and a high initial TBN, so it's a good cleaner. You don't get something for nothing, so a good oil with lots of detergents will chew up the anti wear layer more when changed too often for about the first 1K miles before it lays down a new layer.
Castrol Edge also comes in several different forms, but in general terms gives slightly lower wear figures but does not clean as well as M1, but to be honest I doubt if it will make a significant difference, as all the major brand full synthetics seem to give similar UOA results.
If it's an oil recommended for your specific engine type in a Mobil, Castrol or Shell web site, it will do a great job. Just look for a good special offer, as the oil and air filter quality will be more important, as will be your decision over when to change them.

Recently Mobil 1 has used more magnesium in their oils to prevent competition for the anti-wear layer of additives.

Originally Posted By: Swissdieselfan
It depends which Mobil 1 you are using, as they all have different add packs. In general terms M1 was designed for long OCI's, which means it has a fair amount of Calcium based detergent and dispersants and a high initial TBN, so it's a good cleaner. You don't get something for nothing, so a good oil with lots of detergents will chew up the anti wear layer more when changed too often for about the first 1K miles before it lays down a new layer.
Castrol Edge also comes in several different forms, but in general terms gives slightly lower wear figures but does not clean as well as M1, but to be honest I doubt if it will make a significant difference, as all the major brand full synthetics seem to give similar UOA results.
If it's an oil recommended for your specific engine type in a Mobil, Castrol or Shell web site, it will do a great job. Just look for a good special offer, as the oil and air filter quality will be more important, as will be your decision over when to change them.

So I've currently been changing it every 5,000 miles. Should I go further because of this? I also use the Mobil 1 EP Filter.

Originally Posted By: Vortec376
Originally Posted By: Swissdieselfan

So I've currently been changing it every 5,000 miles. Should I go further because of this? I also use the Mobil 1 EP Filter.

I'm often skeptical as I bet you are as well...and a little anal. I've been using M1 5-30 and had to do a few UOA to get me comfortable with the Armada in my sig. Sure enough, I'm doing 7500k with a valvetrain that can tear up oils and my UOA's have been stellar.

If I were you things here....I would go to 6k and send a sample in for analysis. Betcha with that engine even in PA winters and with those hills and the short 9m trip you will be more than good at 7k+. UOA will let you know for sure and give you confidence.

I am no fan of Mobil as a whole however I doubt very much that you will see any difference in wear switching between any brands as they are all of good quality and wear seems to more attributable to engine design than oil choice.
But trying something new certainly wont hurt,so if you feel as though you will be better served with something else then give it a shot. You will at least be able to make an I formed decision based on how it runs with something else. You may find that it ran better with Mobil,or it ran better with something else.
But don't change just because some Internet expert said Mobil is junk because that simply isn't true. Mobil makes a product that is competitive and comparable to any other product in its category.
Except of course the 0w-40. That stuff is one of the best oils on earth,the formula handed to Moses and written on stone tablets and has only been translated by the Mobil crew,

Well I have a Blackstone Labs kit here that I need to fill with oil, and send in. I have been planning on sending it in for a while now. What I might do is send it in using the M1, and then test out some PU for 5,000, and then send it in along with doing the same with the Castrol all the while listening to see if the engine is any quieter, and checking for cleanliness.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I've used both and prefer Syntec (black bottle Edge) over M1.

Any reason why?

Ran smoother. Engine just felt like it ran better with Syntec.

Anything that's dexos will work for the entire interval suggested by the OLM, including Edge.

Well I have a Blackstone Labs kit here that I need to fill with oil, and send in. I have been planning on sending it in for a while now. What I might do is send it in using the M1, and then test out some PU for 5,000, and then send it in along with doing the same with the Castrol all the while listening to see if the engine is any quieter, and checking for cleanliness.

Good idea, as it's real hard to guess at what your oil is doing. Odds on that if you don't get stuck in traffic, blow smoke or go off roading in the desert it will be good for 10K miles.

My driving style is somewhat agressive. I pass a good bit of people at pretty hard throttle, and run WOT maybe twice a week or so from a start. I always let it idle for maybe 3 minutes tops in the summer, and maybe 5 minutes or so in the winter before leaving to go to or from work. My drive to work is 9 miles one way. I use premium 93 octane fuel at all times, and I haven't been hauling much in the last year, but I will be hauling alot of wood soon if I buy a house I'm looking at.

Unless the engine requires 93, you're wasting your money...

Be prepared for the shock n awe....M1 and PU just may deliver the SAME or near same results. Just me. but 5k isn't a test of either of these oils. 5k is a basis for testing PYB.

Originally Posted By: TFB1

Unless the engine requires 93, you're wasting your money...

It does! Gm 6.2 requires 93 octane fuel…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back