Thinking of rebuilding the alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I would proactively replace or rebuild an alternator. You can make this case for an endless list of parts on the car, where do you stop? Water pump, fuel pump, starter - they all can die out of the box, last 120k or the life of the car.

I went to Pick-N-Pull, grabbed one like mine for $20.
Tested it = works fine.
It sits behind the back seat as a spare.

Why spend more than needed??.............

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I don't think I would proactively replace or rebuild an alternator. You can make this case for an endless list of parts on the car, where do you stop? Water pump, fuel pump, starter - they all can die out of the box, last 120k or the life of the car.

EXACTLY!!!

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Alternators on that car are known to go. The fuel pump, starter, water pump were still original when I got rid of the car with over 200 K on it but that was a duratec not a vulcan. Things like struts, tie rods, ball joints, sway bar links, etc those are all basically wear items and should be replaced same with the headlamp bulbs.

A few days ago, my wife parked her 05 Camry outside of the garage. When I started the car to put it in the garage, I heard this loud whining sound. I thought it was the belt. Popped the hood and checked and listened around the belt/alternator area. It was coming out of the alternator area. I checked the voltage at the battery, it showed around 11.5v. I figured, it must be the alternator. I went to salvage yard yesterday and got a used 150 Amps alternator out of a 06 Sienna for $35+tax. The guy there said it would fit. 05 Camry shows 100 Amps only at car-part. I replaced it last night, tested it with volt meter. It works. Now, I have a spare. bad alternator. What to do? Throw in the recycle bin? Take it apart, to see, and throw in recycle bin? or rebuild and keep it as a spare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back