Thinking of cutting cable and streaming....

My local cable company Eero WIFI6 with the internet package. No need for your own wireless router. I have 1Gb speeds when hard wired and get 650 Mbs when wireless through the Eero system.

If you have TVs, all you need is the Eero dongle with the cable box, power for the TV cord and you're good to go.

Eero and similar systems are wireless gamechangers in my opinion.

Reactions: JC1
I currently have At&t internet and Direct TV. Looking to cut costs but still have good entertainment choices.

Thinking of buying my own modem and switching to Xfinity internet for a better/faster connection.

I was thinking of trying Hulu live for my main streaming app.

Thoughts on best modem for reasonable $$ and if Hulu live is any good.
I did it and use Youtube TV which has all your most watched cable channels.(about 65) for $65 a month. It has a cloud based DVR. Put a show in your Favorites and it records every episode and you can speed thru the commercials if you don't watch it live. I have 30 mbps internet and get a great pic on my OLED tv. There is a learning curve on how to operate and get to where you want to go. Cut my Dish bill in half. There are all kinds of add-ons available including 4k. I've been happy with it.

My local cable company Eero WIFI6 with the internet package. No need for your own wireless router. I have 1Gb speeds when hard wired and get 650 Mbs when wireless through the Eero system.

If you have TVs, all you need is the Eero dongle with the cable box, power for the TV cord and you're good to go.

Eero and similar systems are wireless gamechangers in my opinion.
Why do you need a Eero dongle for the TV if it has WIFI or ethernet? You must have streaming video service through your internet/cable company? Most "cable TV" service is essentially a streaming service now anyway.

Now they are, when they first launched Roku wasn't offering them due to contractual issues and then they pulled dow
Thought about Directv streaming but YouTubetv is a little cheaper with unlimited DVR storage.
DirectStream now has free unlimited DVR and supposedly has a better picture quality. I really like it. The only option if you want regional sports networks too.

I am getting 36 tv channels here in Louisville with an antenna... I had no idea I would get so many...I may just drop cable now and save money....
Just curious what type of antenna you use.

I have a cheap indoor USB cord powered antenna and get a decent array of over the air channels for where I live. I don't quite get 36 OTA channels in well though.

Couple those with all the free streaming channels that show up on my Roku channel menu and there 100's of choices.

I have a cheap indoor USB cord powered antenna and get a decent array of over the air channels for where I live. I don't quite get 36 OTA channels in well though.

Couple those with all the free streaming channels that show up on my Roku channel menu and there 100's of choices.
I have a GE attic mount antenna from Amazon...number 33692 for 35.29...

Reactions: JTK
I currently have At&t internet and Direct TV. Looking to cut costs but still have good entertainment choices.

Thinking of buying my own modem and switching to Xfinity internet for a better/faster connection.

I was thinking of trying Hulu live for my main streaming app.

Thoughts on best modem for reasonable $$ and if Hulu live is any good.
We switched to Hulu live from direct TV in November and haven’t looked back. We watch whatever we want including local channels and I’m saving ~$100 per month plus the cost of NHL center ice! I would have switched sooner but the deal with ESPN just started this year.

Just my $0.02

My one concern is my wife and so watch a lot of TV. probably 8-12 hrs day of HD not 4 k. Wondering if 1.2 T of data is enough

Reactions: JC1
That wasn't a Roku problem, unless you had a bad Roku. You must have been underpowered, had network/router issues, or configuration problems. The current models all support 4K. I have 3 Roku Ultra and 1 4K streaming stick and they all work great. You will need USB power for any stick as the HDMI can only supply 300mA if it is even supported.
Well I had a Roku ultra 4K on external power, I had it hard wired to the comcast router and I was only running 1080i.
noticed this on motion, similar to an early digital TV motion jitter/lag. Still pictures, such as news casts were excellent.

I was running youtube tv didn't try too many of the other free channels.

Picture quality was excellent on the Firestick.. I will say am very sensitive to certain digital artifacts.

How would I know if I had config issues? I don't have an I.T guy in the house - thankfully :)

My one concern is my wife and so watch a lot of TV. probably 8-12 hrs day of HD not 4 k. Wondering if 1.2 T of data is enough
Probably not, but it would be close. You have to figure in your other internet use as well.

Well I had a Roku ultra 4K on external power, I had it hard wired to the comcast router and I was only running 1080i.
noticed this on motion, similar to an early digital TV motion jitter/lag. Still pictures, such as news casts were excellent.

I was running youtube tv didn't try too many of the other free channels.

Picture quality was excellent on the Firestick.. I will say am very sensitive to certain digital artifacts.

How would I know if I had config issues? I don't have an I.T guy in the house - thankfully :)
I would try a different ethernet cable to your Roku. It had to be a networking issue or a problem with the router you are using/other traffic on the network. A direct wired ethernet connection should be better than wireless. I can run 3 HD/4K streams to each of my 3 Rokus and surf the web, etc at the same time with only an 80mbps down 10 mbps up internet connection.

You could also try defaulting the Roku settings are starting over.

I tried a cheap wall antenna, didn't work very well. So I got a big full size antenna, like the kind people used to have on their houses back in the 1970s, installed it to my chimney, positioned it to maximize signal strength. Works like a champ.

Back