Thinking of cutting cable and streaming....

I currently have At&t internet and Direct TV. Looking to cut costs but still have good entertainment choices.

Thinking of buying my own modem and switching to Xfinity internet for a better/faster connection.

I was thinking of trying Hulu live for my main streaming app.

Thoughts on best modem for reasonable $$ and if Hulu live is any good.

I would recommend you try Hulu live or Youtube TV for a few weeks before you go for it. They're not quite the same as traditional cable and depending on what you're looking for you might hate it.

As for a modem I'd look for one with at least WiFi AX built in for a bit more "future-proofing" not that that lasts long in the world of electronics. And Docsis 3.1.
A nice priced modem/router combo on the big A right now is the Arris SBG8300-RB around 150 bucks. It's not WiFi AX but regardless looks good.

There's better modems and wifi solutions obviously for more $$$ but that should be a night and day difference from the AT&T provided solution.

-I'm a Cable Guy for Comcast/Xfinity who hasn't had cable in 10years

DirectStream is the closest thing to cable TV, but not the cheapest. Only option if you want Regional Sport Networks like Bally's

If you have the lousy old dsl/Vdsl AT&T internet it is indeed trash.

But if AT&T fiber is available in your area it’s worlds better than comcast/Xfinity.

Personally I have a Plex server and acquire my content anything I want to watch I get it on there and can stream it anywhere.

As for the paid streaming services, I found them to be a ripoff. If you want access to most stuff you have to have Hulu Live TV which is like $40 then Netflix is like $15 and it just keeps going.

Back when you could just have Netflix for $10 and be done with it, it was great.

Now, it’s a ripoff, so I decided screw them. Now they get nothing.

Ps: if you do decide to get comcast hmu I’ll give you a great deal on a comcast compatible modem. Then you just need to get a router, you can get a decent one for like $100.

Beats paying comcast $10/mo for their garbage router modem combo.

Keep in mind that Comcast has a (arbitrary) data limit of 1,200Gb every month. If you stream a lot you can easily hit that. They’ll happily sell you an unlimited plan for an extra $30 a month on top of whatever rate you have though, or it’s $10 for every 50gb over you go till you hit $100+regular monthly fee.

I used 2,287Gb of data last month, but I have a wife and kids who like the background noise and I’ve downloaded some games for my Xbox. 1.5Tb-2Tb isn’t abnormal for us though.

Otherwise we have Disney+ (includes ad supported Hulu), YouTube Premium, and Motortrend On Demand and I find that to be enough, though I couldn’t care less about sports or regional channels.

I’m using an Arris Surfboard modem and Asus RT-AX58U router. Best router I have ever had, I say stay far away from NETGEAR… my last one lasted 8 months before failing, the one prior a year. My router is in about the worst possible location (in a stairwell on the lowest floor sitting on the ground) but manages to blanket my entire tri level in 5G Wi-Fi no problem.

Edit - I have a 100mbps down/10mbps up connection. It’s more than enough for both 4K TV’s and 2 phones all streaming at once.

Last edited:
We cut the xfinity cable a couple of months ago. We live in a condo in which Starry (www.starry.com) had set up its internet service. We choose YouTube-TV for our streaming and oooma for our "land line" phone. Overall we save about $170 a month.

If you have the lousy old dsl/Vdsl AT&T internet it is indeed trash.

But if AT&T fiber is available in your area it’s worlds better than comcast/Xfinity.

Personally I have a Plex server and acquire my content anything I want to watch I get it on there and can stream it anywhere.

As for the paid streaming services, I found them to be a ripoff. If you want access to most stuff you have to have Hulu Live TV which is like $40 then Netflix is like $15 and it just keeps going.

Back when you could just have Netflix for $10 and be done with it, it was great.

Now, it’s a ripoff, so I decided screw them. Now they get nothing.

Ps: if you do decide to get comcast hmu I’ll give you a great deal on a comcast compatible modem. Then you just need to get a router, you can get a decent one for like $100.

Beats paying comcast $10/mo for their garbage router modem combo.
you don't like the combos like a Arris Surfboard?

I thought about using a digital antenna for local channels and streaming for the rest. not sure how much hassle that would be.

Keep in mind that Comcast has a (arbitrary) data limit of 1,200Gb every month. If you stream a lot you can easily hit that. They’ll happily sell you an unlimited plan for an extra $30 a month on top of whatever rate you have though, or it’s $10 for every 50gb over you go till you hit $100+regular monthly fee.

I used 2,287Gb of data last month, but I have a wife and kids who like the background noise and I’ve downloaded some games for my Xbox. 1.5Tb-2Tb isn’t abnormal for us though.

Otherwise we have Disney+ (includes ad supported Hulu), YouTube Premium, and Motortrend On Demand and I find that to be enough, though I couldn’t care less about sports or regional channels.

I’m using an Arris Surfboard modem and Asus RT-AX58U router. Best router I have ever had, I say stay far away from NETGEAR… my last one lasted 8 months before failing, the one prior a year. My router is in about the worst possible location (in a stairwell on the lowest floor sitting on the ground) but manages to blanket my entire tri level in 5G Wi-Fi no problem.

Edit - I have a 100mbps down/10mbps up connection. It’s more than enough for both 4K TV’s and 2 phones all streaming at once.
if you rent their modem they remove the data cap.

I thought about using a digital antenna for local channels and streaming for the rest. not sure how much hassle that would be.
I wired up a antenna in my attic and tied it into my cable outlets, leaving one outlet connected to Charter/Spectrum for internet service. It meets my news and channel flipping needs along with my streaming subscriptions.

All smart TV's have a web browser built in so you can watch all the bootleg tv and new movies you would on your computer for free...oh that reminds me I'll have to watch bettercallsaul today lol

Plus all TV's have built-in internet channels...my LG has about 300 internet channels like dedicated poker and billiards channels lol

Last edited:
I gotta do something. Have Xfinity/comcast for $247- per month! No premium channels, 1 box, 1 room triple play.

Tried YT tv with a Roku. That was clunky and picture not good. But YT has the local news channels in big markets which was a big deal. Bad user interface Ditched that.

Next up, earlier his year tried a firestick, That worked pretty good but I don't have a USB power supply slot that works on the TV or cable box and the stick was doing a job pulling 5V high current off the HDMI and messing up the TV electronics.

I guess I gotta get a smart TV and forget the dongles. We have a new fiber internet competitor - fidium -in town where I can get enough bandwidth to stream HD for under $40/mo. but I am suspicious of their customer support.
Going on social security mext March. Gotta get monthy cost down.

I will be destitute paying megadollar for home heating oil this coming Winter. Speaking of heating oil - there is going to be a disaster in the northeast if oil prices don't come down. $3.39/ gal. was too high, over 6 bucks would be deadly to many.

I use Sling TV (blue), AirTV, and an antenna. Works great, saving almost $100 a month, cause I still have to pay Comcast for internet. Also use Pluto TV, Peacock, Amazon Prime, and others on an Apple TV.

I gotta do something. Have Xfinity/comcast for $247- per month! No premium channels, 1 box, 1 room triple play.

Tried YT tv with a Roku. That was clunky and picture not good. But YT has the local news channels in big markets which was a big deal. Bad user interface Ditched that.

Next up, earlier his year tried a firestick, That worked pretty good but I don't have a USB power supply slot that works on the TV or cable box and the stick was doing a job pulling 5V high current off the HDMI and messing up the TV electronics.

I guess I gotta get a smart TV and forget the dongles. We have a new fiber internet competitor - fidium -in town where I can get enough bandwidth to stream HD for under $40/mo. but I am suspicious of their customer support.
Going on social security mext March. Gotta get monthy cost down.

I will be destitute paying megadollar for home heating oil this coming Winter. Speaking of heating oil - there is going to be a disaster in the northeast if oil prices don't come down. $3.39/ gal. was too high, over 6 bucks would be deadly to many.
“Dongles” are great because you can swap them out as you wish vs if your smart tv doesn’t get updated apps anymore or doesn’t have a feature you want you have to replace the whole tv.

Just gotta be smart about what you use.
Obviously a usb extension cord and ac adapter might be a $10 initial investment if your tv doesn’t have a powered USB port.

Personally I like the Verizon stream tv gen 2 I got for free with their home internet. Then cancelled the service. But they didn’t want it back. It runs android tv.

you don't like the combos like a Arris Surfboard?

Some of the combo units are fine, but some are just trash. Comcast has had many different units and they all had horrid Wi-Fi range and couldn’t handle heavy usage without the occasional reboot.

Hence why I always used a separate modem and router, both owned, not rented.

I could upgrade or replace my router as needed, without having to deal with comcast each time. Just reboot the modem if that.

Unfortunately they play games with modem compatibility. When I first bought mine it was compatible with the 1.2Gbps speed which was their best. Now it’s only compatible with the 900Mbps plan. Because they want you to rent theirs.

Yeah, everybody's switching to streaming. Might as well get in on the action while it's still cheap!
As far as channels go, If you have an Amazon Prime account, there are plenty of FREE streaming channels included. If you don't have a "smart" TV, I'd recommend a ROKU stick. Just a TON of options available on it. The ROKU channel itself is FREE, and has a lot of good content.

We've found that the biggest trick to all this is keeping track of the channels you watch and knowing when to unsubscribe when you no longer enjoy their content. Also keeping track of multiple passwords on multiple TV's can be a challenge.

Amazon makes it pretty simple.

Cut it around 11 years ago and put up a good rooftop antenna which I found in someones rubbish. Been happy ever since and don't miss it at all. I still have internet which I play the new customer promotion routine every year.

Back