Thinking buying a firearm - I’m in Texas - Where do I start first

i would be leery of starting out with a shotgun or a centerfire rifle, unless you have access to lots of practice opportunities, i.e. either on open land or as a hunter/target clays sportsman. many if not most indoor shooting ranges don’t allow shotguns or centerfire rifles.

and if you do choose a shotgun i would start with an inexpensive new rossi or used h&r/nef single shot in 20 or 410. 12 is too much recoil in these particular models for comfortably sustained practiced. singles are simple to learn, and these brands can be run surprisingly fast with their auto ejection of spent rounds. there are other inexpensive singles and doubles on the market, some fold, but they use slow manual extraction of spent rounds, which makes them problematic in a defense situation.

you could also start with a $150 heritage roughrider or $200 ruger wrangler handgun. these 22lr single action revolvers are completely untactical in the 21st century but a great and simple tool to learn your way around a first handgun. they are fun plinkers too, and being single action won’t burn through increasingly expensive and scarce ammo. a 22lr firearm is also a softer introduction for anyone in your circle who may want to learn but is intimidated by recoil or flashbang.

utube is still a friend when looking at firearms choices.
Hmmm where to practice is the important part. Clays are fine, but with the caveat of "under instruction" first couple of boxes should be quite "nippy" loads, nothing like a bit of positive emphasis when it comes to embedding stance and gun mounting!!

Recoil. I have just restarted clays after a long siesta, predominantly skeet, and have found that loads, in general, have become "performance orientated" and through either a 6 or 7 pound semi auto markedly uncomfortable on a 100 plus day.
I have also noticed how basic to middling clay shotguns are at or over 8 pounds in weight, sod lumping those around all day!
I now use fiocchi blues, TT1 28 gram a relatively "slow" and very light recoiling round and an absolute pleasure to shoot all day in my Franchi Affinity.

However, my choice, would be the .22 pistol, for the reasons of ammunition costs and supply, the lower recoil allowing longer shooting session before fatigue/flinch appears as well as allowing quick development of a comfortable stance and control of the weapon. And they are just as lethal as other pistols.

OK all the best

Mo.

I live in TX for now.....with the new law Sept 1 .....anybody can buy a pistol can carry one will be one to get out the popcorn and watch....Ive carried a Smith 4 inch 686 along with an extra speed loader for years in my glove box.....plus a 70's Walther PPK 380 on me....or a Ruger LCR 38. I just bought a New Smith M & P 9mm 13 +1 may be my new glove box gun.....and an extra mag.

Find out what the gun laws are in your area first. Take a safety class and fire several different weapons. I recommend a shotgun for the home and whatever handgun you feel comfortable with.

“gmh101358: I live in TX for now.....with the new law Sept 1 .....anybody can buy a pistol can carry one will be one to get out the popcorn and watch...”

with all due respect the above statement is nonsense. texas law (Sec. 46.06(a)(2) of the Texas Penal Code) governing the proper transfer of firearms remains in effect. constitutional, i.e. permitless, carry of handguns, which commences in texas on 1 sep, has been introduced in a number of states with the effect of reducing violent crime.

regardless of any law, the new and responsible user of any tool should get properly trained on it, whether it is a car, backhoe, chain saw or firearm. my usaf pilot elder son flew supersonic t38 jets to get his wings, he started out in a cessna 172, hence my suggestion for a gun newby to start with a 22lr rifle.

What people should do and what they really do....My guess is most are NOT going to get any Pro training in firearm safety except "My uncle goes deer hunting....maybe he can tell me/us what to do.
My father was in WW2 ..... he had me shooting a 22 for my 8th b-day. Once when I was 10 he held up a beer can......and wanted me to shoot it with me .22 Remington bolt action single shot and about 50 ft......I was so afraid I would hit his hand ....but I did clip the can without and any other damage. Other than shooting my Grand fathers Prince Albert Tobacco cans on the fence post in Mississippi that was my "training" when i was a kid in the summers.....

Back