Thinking about trading my car. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have a 2012 Nissan Rogue. So it has the CVT. This is whats worrying me. Nissan made improvements after 2010 and the failure rate is much less. I still worry though since the avg repair bill is 7 to 8k dollars. Thats insane on a car thats current value is about 13 to 14K for trade in. Mine has about 40K miles on it. So I have a warranty for another 20K miles, so I have time. I am in no rush but also the thought of some of these new cars is nice. So the cars I am thinking about are....a Focus hatchback. I am seeing new 2014s Titanium editions for 21k near me. A 2015 VW Golf (reliability worries me), a Scion TC. Up for any other suggestions. I would like to put my bike inside that car. I go mountain biking....so not sure about the scion? I can always get a hitch. I have 2 large dogs and no kids. I want good AC ...I am in Florida...and I want something that will last me awhile and something I am a little more excited about. I enjoy the Rogue and have no complaints of the car. I am one that actually likes the CVT...in fact I love it but the future cost of possible replacement scares me and do not want to get stuck with a 7k dollar bill. I am not against a stick shift. But I prefer the newer autos.....but like I said I would drive a stick and if I got a Golf it would probably be the stick. I do not like the feel of the Focus's stick manual....reminded me of my old Ranger stick! Thanks everyone!

I don't think the transmission is a good reason to trade it in. By the time you warranty expires, the car is worth maybe 7K. So, your risks are not so much. That is also kind of a worst case scenario and therefore not likely.

Quite a few cars have high-tech transmissions these days and let's face it: Ford's track record on the transmission front isn't so hot. So you may have the threat of a catastrophic transmission failure with any number of new cars.

If you do go with Ford, look into the the factory extended warranty. Ford is unique in allowing any dealer to sell such a policy to any new buyer and to allow them to advertise price on the 'net. I think the $50 deductible 7yr 100K policy for about $700 bucks is pretty hard to beat. http://www.floodfordesp.com/esp_plans.ph...Submit=Continue

Sounds to me the space the Rouge affords fits your lifestyle with the dogs and bikes. Maybe get an extended warranty if you're really worried.

Sounds like you'll take the depreciation hit, and someone else will benefit from the many years of service it still has left after you trade it. Clearly you have the itch to sell it and you're using the transmission as an excuse.

But at least you'll have that new car smell-for a while.

I'd be curious what a transmission repair would be at an indy shop.

Certainly CVs have been a new source of business for them and perhaps they can undercut the dealer by 4 fold.

Although Honda had issues with some of its transmissions a decade ago, its offering in this class (CR-V) never seemed to suffer durability problems with its transmissions, and the 2014 CR-V uses a conventional engine (that's as solid as they come, a port-injected K24) and a conventional transmission (their very tried-and-true 5-speed automatic). The 2015 CR-V is rumored to be graced with direct injection and their CVT; if that doesn't appeal to you, a 2012-2014 (all from the current generation) should set your mind at ease, if you do decide to trade.

The previous generation (2007-2011) has essentially the same powertrain (a port-injected K24/5-speed auto) and they are pretty infallible. Ours will click over 100,000 miles in a few more months, and we look forward to another happy 100,000.

The transmission problems are no secret and would be reflected in the resale value when the warranty expires. Many cars today are a risk to own past the factory warranty. It's just something to consider when choosing a new car and especially true if buying a used car. I feel very lucky to have stumbled into a brand new 1984 Honda Civic wagon that I still own and drive, today. Today there are some configurations and features that almost guarantee that a particular car should never be considered beyond the factory warranty. I think you are doing the correct thing, some research on your next purchase and planning today for what you're going to do in the very near future. For me I would not touch most vehicles with a CVT, a complicated V6 configuration and would stay away from a dashboard of complicated conveniences. I would concentrate on reliability and a proven track record.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Sounds like you'll take the depreciation hit, and someone else will benefit from the many years of service it still has left after you trade it. Clearly you have the itch to sell it and you're using the transmission as an excuse.

But at least you'll have that new car smell-for a while.

Clearly you do not know me. The thought of a new car is nice. However I bought this thinking I would keep it for around 10 yrs. It was not until the thought of a 7 to 8k dollar repair was mentioned to me by a friend of mine that is a mechanic and works for a company that uses a Rogue for a company car that I thought of trading it in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mcrn
I still worry though since the avg repair bill is 7 to 8k dollars.

Why is it so expensive? The trans (parts and labor) on the wife's Mercedes would have been this much if done at the dealer. I wouldn't expect a Rouge trans to cost this much.

are you attracted to problematic transmissions? then the ford focus is right for you!

all kidding aside, the DCTs are interesting, i really liked the 2012 focus i test drove a few years ago. its just not made for 6 foot 300lbs of man and felt cramped.

Last edited:
If you're worried, buying an extended warranty through Nissan is probably the best choice. You'll take a financial bath trading in and buying another vehicle.

Have you considered how much you'll lose on the transaction? That alone could be a big percentage of the cost of replacing the transmission.

I also think your logic is flawed. Some CVT transmissions have had issues in the past, but do you have any evidence that the transmission in your Rogue is problematic on a large number of vehicles?

EDIT-
I just checked Consumer Reports and their reliability reporting shows a very high score for transmission reliability. Meaning, CR surveys of Rogue owners aren't showing significant failures in that year.

They do show poor reliability for the transmissions in 2008 models. But the newer models don't have the same reported problems.

Price out an extended warranty if any available from Nissan. It may buy you peace of mind a few more years and not getting killed as badly on depreciation.

What is the actual likelihood of a transmission problem on this particular model year? TrueDelta shows 0% of users reporting transmission problems. Granted, their sample size is not very big. But I mean, any auto trans can fail, regardless of make/model.

Yes my model year is much better. 2008 to 2010 was the problematic years. However the price to replace......and this is why its so expensive is that they replace the unit....they do not rebuild them. A mechanic friend is the one that told me to research it. When I googled it a lot of info came up.....granted most are the earlier years.....however the price to replace remains the same. I researched this vehicle a lot before I bought it. I looked at the consumer reports and it other websites saying that the new ones are much more reliable....and maybe I am worrying for nothing....but the search still brought up some 2010 to 2012 year models failing. Nissan knew there was a problem and extended the warranty on the tranny to 120k miles...however than ended in 2010 or 2011 when they corrected some issues with it. Apparently these cvts are very sensitive to temps. The AWD models come with coolers.....mine does not and apparently it is very expensive to have it retro fitted....and some say it is not needed......Like I said I would like to keep a vehicle for many years....I am 39 years old and this is my first vehicle I have bought new and was only my 5th vehicle I have owned my whole life. So I do tend to keep cars for a longer amount of time than most people I know. The extended warranty is a good idea. Especially if I can buy one through Nissan. I am sure that will be cheaper than any other option and still give me piece of mind. I did just put new tires on this vehicle too. Also just waxed it. But that was mainly because I let my parents take this on a trip to Nebraska from Florida....lol they have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler....not a comfortable vehicle for a road trip for people that are almost 70 years old! They loved it on the trip by the way. Like I said I do like the vehicle and it seems like it will be very reliable.......just the possibility of a repair that expensive is insane on a car that will soon be worth that same amount of a new Tranny. Thanks again everybody!

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Price out an extended warranty if any available from Nissan. It may buy you peace of mind a few more years and not getting killed as badly on depreciation.

+1. It would be less than the depreciation you would lose by trading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back