Thinking about Quaker State synthetic....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have a bit of the rogue in me and going with Mobil 1 is a bit too main stream. Wal-Mart offers Quaker State as a synthetic option at $29.95. If I understand correctly QS is group IV. If my present ST dino easily does 4K in my Elantra this should be good for 7.5-- no???

Anybody have any experience with this? I notice that there's no UOA's on it.

The new "Full Synthetic" is G4.....just make sure you don't buy old stock.

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
The new "Full Synthetic" is G4.....just make sure you don't buy old stock.

According to Johnny, QS synthetics are all Group III.

Here is the MSDS for QS Full Synthetic motor oils (5W-30, 5W-50, 10W-30, 5W-20), as of 10/09/03.

quote:

Here is the MSDS for QS Full Synthetic motor oils (5W-30, 5W-50, 10W-30, 5W-20), as of 10/09/03.

EDIT: Refer to the following link for MSDS needs.

www.MSDS.PZLQS.com

EDIT 2: Check out Slick 50's MSDS

EDIT 3: Go here and then here and compare the viscosity of "Peak Performance" 20W50 and Mono grade 40W at 40*C....the monograde has a lower viscosity. Isn't that odd?
confused.gif

[ May 20, 2004, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

quote:

Johnny has stated numerous times that this MSDS is not accurate.

Also, the MSDS says that the oil has a pour point depressant. PAO base oil doesn't need and actually won't respond to pour point depressants.

Hmmmm....so 5W50 is group 3 and there is no mention of any esters. How do they cover such a wide spread?

Well, the 5W50 does have a VI Index of more than 190....so I guess you may be right!

quote:

Hmmmm....so 5W50 is group 3 and there is no mention of any esters. How do they cover such a wide spread?

More than likely, this oil doesn't even exist. I asked Johnny about the Pennzoil synthetic 5w50 that's listed on the Penn spec sheet and he said it doesn't exist, so the Qs 5w50 probably doesn't either. Last 5w50 Pennzoil was PerforMax, which was PAO based.

Actually, there is a lot of QS 5W50 SL at the local Wallies and Auto Parts. I've thought about buying some and giving it a try in my Z, but never did. I've never seen any Pennzoil 5W50 though.

See my post above.

Since someone @ Edmunds is challenging my contention that this is group IV, I'd really like to know if I'm right or if it's just group III.

Don't want this to slide to the bottom of the page....

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
I've seen the QS 5w-50 at AutoZone in PA. I already have a 5w-50 oil that I like though.
grin.gif

Which is the Syntec , right? I might try that next interval or Redline 5/10W-40 or a 15W-40 diesel.
So many oils....so little cars and time and money!
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
"Here is the MSDS for QS Full Synthetic motor oils (5W-30, 5W-50, 10W-30, 5W-20), as of 10/09/03."

Sorry-- I guess I'm not as good at reading datasheets as I thought. Is it group III or IV? Homopolymer sounds group fourish to me.

1-Decene Homopolymer IS PAO.....but G-Man said those MSDSs are not current. Who knows?
confused.gif

I emailed QS to ask them whether their full synthetic is indeed PAO. This is what they had to say:

"The MSDS #14953 you refer to is currently in process of being updated to reflect Group III base stock. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused. To reiterate, our Quaker State Full Synthetic Motor Oils are Group III. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Sincerely,

Mary van Rossen - on behalf of QS Technical Service"

Well, I guess that settles that!
On the other hand....it takes these oil companies years to update an MSDS?!?!? And I thought I was slow at writing performance reports for my troops!
rolleyes.gif
thumbsdown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back