Thinking About Next Oil Change..

Status
Not open for further replies.
96 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0L 6cyl inline 6, oversized tires; no highway miles, all short trip; I have been on and off between dino and synthetic oil over the years

Currently I am running M1 10w-30 full synthetic + Fram x2(
lol.gif
know better now) which was all done at 69,000 miles and about 5-6 months ago.

Now I have 74,000 mi (5k) and the oil level is good, the oil is dark black, but does not smell funny.

So, I was thinking if I should do something this weekend. I was thinking mabey pop in a fresh fliter (I have a new Purolator Pure One lying around)or if I should go all out w/full oil change.

quote:

Originally posted by OiledMustangGT:
96 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0L 6cyl inline 6, oversized tires; no highway miles, all short trip; I have been on and off between dino and synthetic oil over the years

Currently I am running M1 10w-30 full synthetic + Fram x2(
lol.gif
know better now) which was all done at 69,000 miles and about 5-6 months ago.

Now I have 74,000 mi (5k) and the oil level is good, the oil is dark black, but does not smell funny.

So, I was thinking if I should do something this weekend. I was thinking mabey pop in a fresh fliter (I have a new Purolator Pure One lying around)or if I should go all out w/full oil change.

Go over to Wally-World and pick up some Rotella-T 5w-40 and use the Purolator filter (If it was me, I'd spend the money on a new Motorcraft filter, but go ahead and use the Pure One...it should work absolutely fine)

Can't do much better for this particular application...

[ April 13, 2004, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

I can't understand paying top dollar for M1 and dumping it out at 5000 miles!
What ever happened to the 10K oil change M1 advertised? Does anyone believe it?

quote:

Originally posted by Lubricious:
I can't understand paying top dollar for M1 and dumping it out at 5000 miles!
What ever happened to the 10K oil change M1 advertised? Does anyone believe it?

This is why:

quote:

Originally posted by OiledMustangGT:

Oil is NOT supposed to be black unless they are pumping it out of the ground. Darker than new, yes. Black, definately not. Sounds like you might have a little bit of a blowby problem...

Oil color is NOT! an indication of a oil's condition! Some engines espeically diesels will turn an oil black quickly due to the combustion process. As for changing your oil go for it! I acually perfer purolator filters, and mobil1 on my 4.0 been running that combo since 15k currently about 300 shy of 60k. I also go 5k between oil/filter changes. No complaints so far and a big Jeep wave to ya
cheers.gif

...and money out of your wallet that could be used for oil.

Why would I spend $20-30 for a UOA to tell me I could squeak out another couple thousand miles from the oil??

That's penny wise but pound foolish.

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Only a UOA will tell you if you need to change your oil. It will take ALL the doubt out of the process.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by davefr:
Why would I spend $20-30 for a UOA to tell me I could squeak out another couple thousand miles from the oil??

I understand Oilguard is a new site sponsore here. On their website you can get 6 UOAs for $9 each or 3 for $10 each. My first ever UOA (albeit $20 at a different company) showed me I could easily go a couple thousand more miles on my oil. I'm no environmentalist, but neither do I like wasting good oil. I just bought three of the $10 UOAs for future use. At that price it is worth it to me. Besides, they also can tell you if you have other problems like fuel or antifreeze contamination.

Check the color again. Put some on a white paper towel to see if it's black or dark brown.

That oil should go more than 5000 miles because your motor isn't high milage yet.

For peace of mind you change the oil to syn blend or Delo 400 and keep the 5000 mile OCI.

Joe

Good idea Jorton. He could do a blotter test. I put a few drops on a white file card and wait for it to soak in. The center will be darker. Hold it to a light and look through it. You should see that the center is clear with a thin black ring. Probably OK. But a UOA is the only way to know for sure.

Nice Website!! You did a great job on the buildup. My advice is if your going to change the filter go ahead and change the oil.

oil/filter change $30.00
Peice of mind for a Jeeper PRICELESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back