Thinking about going from an E90 328 to F30 340

I brought my E90 3 years ago ( I was 20 and this was my first car/huge purchase) when it had 67k miles on it from the first owner. Sitting at close to 77k miles right now.

I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on an F30 340 since from what I've been reading, the B58 is pretty much bulletproof (except for the normal BMW oil leaks). Plus, I kinda want something newer. Just like the N52. I kind of want to get into something new. Nothing wrong with my current car. But it's 13 years old. So, coolant systems going to start going out, suspension components are going to start going out etc.

I haven't driven one yet since I am out of town and won't be in town until March 1st. I've got a few 340s on the list that I want to take a look at.

My main thing is, will I regret selling my E90 for the 340? Obviously, there's going to be a huge difference in technology compared to the E90. and power. From what I've been reading, steering feel is much more "soft" and not so sporty compared to the E90. Interior material also lack? A lot of plastic used??

The F30, in my opinion, is a much more aggressive car. The 8 sped auto is way better than the 6 speed, and yes, they steering is way lighter. I would definitely go M Sport.

The steering is really weird after having driven an E90.

Last edited:
I love mine so far. Got it last year with 48k miles and so far put about 9000 on it. Lots of power, lots of torque. Your gonna need good tires on this thing. 30+ mpg highway no matter what speed.

I actually prefer the BMW interior to others like Mercedes and Lexus. It feels more down to earth and usable. So food and kids and going to ball practice doesn't bother me at all. But then it cleans up real nice for date night.

No oil leaks so far. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I love mine so far. Got it last year with 48k miles and so far put about 9000 on it. Lots of power, lots of torque. Your gonna need good tires on this thing. 30+ mpg highway no matter what speed.

I actually prefer the BMW interior to others like Mercedes and Lexus. It feels more down to earth and usable. So food and kids and going to ball practice doesn't bother me at all. But then it cleans up real nice for date night.

No oil leaks so far. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
What packages does it have? Anything major to bad?

I had a rental F30 for a week, probably 1000 to 1200 miles. Never really cared for it. When it was returned, I drove my E90 and realized how much better it was (to me). The F30 may be ok for some, but I just never warmed up to it. It felt bigger, more numb, and the brakes were garbage.

I have never lusted for an F3X since then, although I plan on driving an G20 soon to see how they are.

I had a rental F30 for a week, probably 1000 to 1200 miles. Never really cared for it. When it was returned, I drove my E90 and realized how much better it was (to me). The F30 may be ok for some, but I just never warmed up to it. It felt bigger, more numb, and the brakes were garbage.

I have never lusted for an F3X since then, although I plan on driving an G20 soon to see how they are.
An "F30" isn't necessarily a 340i. That's like stating that all E30's have 4 cylinder engines....completely inaccurate.
Most F30's are/were rentals that received the smaller, 4 cyl engine. I believe they are in the 330i lineup

Once you step up to the inline 6 with the turbo(s), it's a totally different experience.
Yes, they are noticeably more expensive and harder to find than the 330i's with the 4 cyl, but the persistance in finding one is worth it (to those who've spent any amount of time with them).

Last edited:
An "F30" isn't necessarily a 340i. That's like stating that all E30's have 4 cylinder engines....completely inaccurate.
Most F30's are/were rentals that received the smaller, 4 cyl engine. I believe they are in the 330i lineup

Once you step up to the inline 6 with the turbo(s), it's a totally different experience.
Yes, they are noticeably more expensive and harder to find than the 330i's with the 4 cyl, but the persistance in finding one is worth it (to those who've spent any amount of time with them).

Rentals are usually low end cheap models. So a 320 or 328

Back