Thinking about going from an E90 328 to F30 340

In US F30 335/340 was coming with two different rotors sizes, same pad size, but 3 different materials:
1. Base (Grey calipers, 340mm rotor): Soft feel=Low dust=Garbage.
2. S2NHA code (M Sport-Blue Brembo calipers 370mm rotor): Lots of bite. Extremely aggressive=True BMW pad, on all EU models as base pad.
3. P337 M Performance (ANy color Brembo caliper, 370mm rotor): Soft bite, low dust. Garbage IMO.

Good thing S2NHA fits all Brembo calipers, base or Blue, regardless of rotor size.

Thanks for this. Although I have no complaints about the base brakes on mine. Better than most cars I’ve owned.

F3DD1346-6212-45C7-A881-17BEE78FC3D6.jpeg

Not true. We have the same brake options. My Fathers 2012 320d Sport had the 340mm single pot brakes.

Just to add for the OP. My Father bought his F30 brand new in 2012 as one of the first in the country. He kept it for 5 years, putting a smidge over 170,000miles on it and it NEVER went wrong. Other than some ARB bushes, it never needed anything other than basic maintenance. The 20k OCI's were adheared to in some fasion. I know it hit 25k between OCI's a few times. Fantastic cars.
Your father doesn’t have 340. Inam talking 335/340 which strictly comes with 4 pot Brembo.
Options between US and EU differ! And 340 is not 320d.

Last edited:
There are a lot of complaints about brakes on F30. Of course, complaints that they are not really BMW brakes (they are still leaps and bounds above 99% of cars on the road).
Problem with F30 is that it wanted to be Lexus, Audi, MB, and BMW at the same time. They had 3 (three) different pad materials for American market (EU was getting only one). That is to satisfy these buyers that are more concerned what neighbor will say about their wheels.
In US F30 335/340 was coming with two different rotors sizes, same pad size, but 3 different materials:
1. Base (Grey calipers, 340mm rotor): Soft feel=Low dust=Garbage.
2. S2NHA code (M Sport-Blue Brembo calipers 370mm rotor): Lots of bite. Extremely aggressive=True BMW pad, on all EU models as base pad.
3. P337 M Performance (ANy color Brembo caliper, 370mm rotor): Soft bite, low dust. Garbage IMO.

Good thing S2NHA fits all Brembo calipers, base or Blue, regardless of rotor size.
IIRC initially the M-Perf brake shares the same pads w/ grey caliper setup but due to the complaints about soft feel BMW later on added the dustier M-Sport (euro) pads..

I so wanted the yellow brakes and the M-LSD. :(

Back