Thinking about getting ccna certs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it is a computer based test, I thought I would post here. anyone want in, drop me a line pronto, i got the resources covered for any1 really.
Just as title states, I am thinking about embarking on an epic journey (translation: will have to study for up to 4 months before dropping a sit down and strike and write) the CC-entry level certification-exam- one first so I get a rough and tumble title. Then maybe do the upgrade tech one, to get a job or perhaps security or wireless, since you don't have to have ccna to do other stuff..

thoughts?

Last edited:
Anything you can do to advance your education, career and income.... Go for it.
thumbsup2.gif

Very difficult test. Its gotten harder over the yrs and I had to take it twice even after splitting up the exams back in 06. Cos look for experience first and will test your knowledge on interviews.

Good luck!

Should have done it when I was working as a network engineer/manager, but was too lazy.

When you're "in" you don't need it, since you can get by on experience. Then I was "out" and discovered that I was probably going to need it to get back "in".

Lifetime learning is a good thing.

With computer stuff, anything you knew three years ago is mostly useless today (and that's a running metric) but the best staff do remember that stuff (and older) because it's a key problem solving skill, even if it only comes up occasionally.

There are always companies looking to razor-cut their IT costs, they will hire you. Maybe not the best work environment, but you will learn what you need to move up in a few years to a better company that provides more support to IT.

The current future-proof field is AI, there is already a shortage of qualified personnel and the demand is increasing exponentially, and worldwide in case you want to explore the world and get paid to do it. Just so you know.

Get an employer to pay for it, and let them keep paying for certs every year.

I have two MCSA's, and am working towards a Security + so that I can be a DoD contractor.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

With computer stuff, anything you knew three years ago is mostly useless today (and that's a running metric) but the best staff do remember that stuff (and older) because it's a key problem solving skill, even if it only comes up occasionally.

Respectfully, that's asinine.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
thumbsup2.gif

That and it's only 1 test and you get instant credibility plus you do not need both pieces of the CCNA, I'm only doing the first half, or entry-level network tech but it's really not entry level cause you have to study hard and since it isn't the harder ICND2 and just ICND1, so no biggie, right, a big deal without being one. No harm, right? And you can get upgrade cert easy and just work remotely. You get my drift, plus you can do remote support for those remote sites. No harm, right, only 1 test, easy PEASey, just put in work. NO BIGGIE.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
thumbsup2.gif

That and it's only 1 test and you get instant credibility plus you do not need both pieces of the CCNA, I'm only doing the first half, or entry-level network tech but it's really not entry level cause you have to study hard and since it isn't the harder ICND2 and just ICND1, so no biggie, right, a big deal without being one. No harm, right? And you can get upgrade cert easy and just work remotely. You get my drift, plus you can do remote support for those remote sites. No harm, right, only 1 test, easy PEASey, just put in work. NO BIGGIE.

Well, its a long while since I looked, but I remember it being a bit of a biggie, plus a bit of a PITA, because you had to learn stuff that you never, in practice, needed, and if you did you could have trivially looked it up.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
thumbsup2.gif

Well, its a long while since I looked, but I remember it being a bit of a biggie, plus a bit of a PITA, because you had to learn stuff that you never, in practice, needed, and if you did you could have trivially looked it up.

Yeah but the trivial stuff is what Cisco wants. stuff like port numbers are easy to remember. then you have values for the WAN protocols like BGP timers etc you might need to know This is why I say let it be a PITA cause it enhances its credibility. And I just want to do remote repair/installs. I don't need a CCNA, just the entry level cert for that. NO BIGGIE smalls, right?

Just keep in mind that the remote field is quite competitive. You may be surprised. there are tons of folks with decades of experience *and* certs doing this from all over the globe: Indians from India, Russians from Ecuador, Uruguay, what not in any combo. A friend's son, who graduated as a Nuclear Engineer with summa cum laude had to quickly retrain himself in mundane electrical engineer. Says, no chance to compete with Czech, Slovak, Polish and Ukrainians with decades of working experience and much deeper education on fundamentals.

So, keep improving yourself constantly. This is a non-stop lifetime race.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Just keep in mind that the remote field is quite competitive. You may be surprised. there are tons of folks with decades of experience *and* certs doing this from all over the globe: Indians from India, Russians from Ecuador, Uruguay, what not in any combo. A friend's son, who graduated as a Nuclear Engineer with summa cum laude had to quickly retrain himself in mundane electrical engineer. Says, no chance to compete with Czech, Slovak, Polish and Ukrainians with decades of working experience and much deeper education on fundamentals.

So, keep improving yourself constantly. This is a non-stop lifetime race.

Only valedictorians come to US from everywhere around the world, except, down south of US. haha lol, what the [censored] have they done to make things better.

Ok so I decided to make this entry level cert a mission with goal being years end. no biggie, no harm no foul.

Last edited:
Ok so I decided to make this entry level cert a mission with goal being years end. no biggie, no harm no foul.

true, and you will have better understanding of your own home lab requirements. Broadcast and simulcast domains and things like that..

Originally Posted By: Y_K

true, and you will have better understanding of your own home lab requirements. Broadcast and simulcast domains and things like that..

I will update on this. YK, I'm jumping in the deep end. Keep a vigilance as this is the price for freedom. Remember and keep in mind, I only need the 1st half or ICND1 and then I can move on to repair tech, which is all I want to do. YK< I'm doing it, watch me work. I will return victorious in all of its glory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back