Thinking about getting back into E9x chassis.

Well, thinking about getting back into the E9x family. Looking at this 2011 BMW 328 with 117k miles on it. The owner states ticking from the motor (I bet it's just the lifters ticking) and needs head??? 😂

He's asking $5k. It's got the M sport package etc. Needs the OFHG replaced. Looks like that thing was JB welded or what have you.
Video of ticking noise:

I offered him $2500. Leaks a little from the OFHG (obviously). 2 owner's car. Sold CPO to second owner. I can get a new OFH for like $400 off FCP or I can try looking for a used one.
1.jpg
2.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not the tick I remember when I had an E90 330. In fact I don't hear a tick.

In any case my concern would be oil/coolant mixing within the area of the OFHG. $2500-$5k seems reasonable for Chicago.

That's not the tick I remember when I had an E90 330. In fact I don't hear a tick.

In any case my concern would be oil/coolant mixing within the area of the OFHG. $2500-$5k seems reasonable for Chicago.
Doesn't see how coolant would mix unless the gasket is busted. All I know is the housing looks to be glued or something. I think I'm gonna start off at $2,000. not going higher than like $3500

Nope, walk away. I've seen that area cracked once before, the only way to really fix it is replace the head, otherwise the gasket won't seal correctly. The OFHG on those engines already is a common failure even with all the bolts holding. The ticking issue shouldn't be a problem after around November 2008 build date when they used the improved camshaft ledges/cylinder head. I'd hold out for a better car.

Nope, walk away. I've seen that area cracked once before, the only way to really fix it is replace the head, otherwise the gasket won't seal correctly. The OFHG on those engines already is a common failure even with all the bolts holding. The ticking issue shouldn't be a problem after around November 2008 build date when they used the improved camshaft ledges/cylinder head. I'd hold out for a better car.
I'll see if I can get it for $2500-$3,000 I might do it

Back