Thinking about getting a Harley

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been 25 years since I had my last motorcycle. I rode a bike all through high school and I got rid of my last bike when I was in college. My dad rode a Harley in the late 40s and early 50s, and I've always wanted one. So, I have about 99% made up my mind to get one. Probably a Sportster.

Guess I'll wander over to my local Harley dealer next week and see what they've got.
grin.gif

G-MAN:

Do yourself a favor and ride ALL of the other bikes in the same class before you buy.

I'm not suggesting that you don't buy a H-D. H-D makes a very good bike. When you ride diffrent brands of bikes before you buy one, you will see and/or feel a few things that are, diffrent.

My first bike was a 1978 H-D XLCR-1000. Wish I still had it.
mad.gif

Always ride and compair before you buy. At the very least, you may get a better deal and... it's fun to compair!!!
cool.gif

Quote:

G-MAN:

Do yourself a favor and ride ALL of the other bikes in the same class before you buy.

I'm not suggesting that you don't buy a H-D. H-D makes a very good bike. When you ride diffrent brands of bikes before you buy one, you will see and/or feel a few things that are, diffrent.

My first bike was a 1978 H-D XLCR-1000. Wish I still had it.
mad.gif

Always ride and compair before you buy. At the very least, you may get a better deal and... it's fun to compair!!!
cool.gif

I hear ya, but I don't think I'm going to do that. And here's why: I'm quite certain that there are several Japanese bikes that are technically superior to the Sportster, as well as being less expensive. If I ride any of them I'll only be tempting myself to get one with the rationalization that "it's really a better bike for the money." I swore a long time ago that the next bike I got would be a Harley. And it's going to be.
wink.gif

...Please don't confuse me with the facts!"

I'll be the one that says it -

"it's really a better bike for the money." You know it for a fact, yet it doesn't sway you at all.....priceless!
doc

Quote:

...Please don't confuse me with the facts!"

I'll be the one that says it -

"it's really a better bike for the money." You know it for a fact, yet it doesn't sway you at all.....priceless!

Yup...but just the way it is.

The "facts" say a granola bar is "better" than a Milkyway. I still prefer the Milkyway.
thumbsup.gif

Get the Harley you know you want it. For what its worth my dads 85 XLS Roadster that he owned for 10 years since new was more reliable than the other 3 Japanese bikes he had before it.

Why is thread named "thinking about getting a harley". You already have your mind made up don't you G-man?

99% of harley owners could care less about mechanical excellence, performance, and handling. I own a harley therefore - I'm tough - I'm a bad boy - I'm dangerous - I am the elite.

Everyone has a dream. Have fun with your new bike Gman.

Btw ... what oil are you going to use? I hope you use harley oil because anything else would be blasphemy.

Quote:

Why is thread named "thinking about getting a harley". You already have your mind made up don't you G-man?

No, I said I was 99% there.
wink.gif

As for oil...I have no idea. But I can guarantee you it won't be Harley's overpriced Syn3.

A Harley salesman told me he loves to sell Sportsters because it means he will be able to sell another Harley if a short while when the owner finds out Sprortsters are really not very comfortable and shake too much. This was a few years ago and things may have changed.

Whatever you get, don't let you mind tell you that you're as good rider as you used to be. The accident/fatality rate for newly retreaded riders is pretty high.
cheers.gif

....so you know the Harley oil is technically inferior and overpriced, and that there are many superior products from other suppliers.

If you we apply that reasoning to other Harley products, they would be out of business in a week.

doc

I certainly don't own a motorcycle, but, a Harley always gets my attention. Just yesterday I saw an acquaintance and she said she was very proud of the fact she was in town riding her boyfriends hog.

Quote:

A Harley salesman told me he loves to sell Sportsters because it means he will be able to sell another Harley if a short while when the owner finds out Sprortsters are really not very comfortable and shake too much. This was a few years ago and things may have changed.

Things have changed. The Sportster now has the rubber isolated engine mounts that the big twins got a few years back. Supposed to be much smoother now.

If I ever get into serious long distance riding, I'm sure I'd go to something other than a Sportster. But for the type riding I intend to do, the Sportster is perfect and will be a much more enjoyable ride.

Quote:

Whatever you get, don't let you mind tell you that you're as good rider as you used to be. The accident/fatality rate for newly retreaded riders is pretty high.
cheers.gif

Don't worry. I've got no illusions about my current level of riding skill.

I've got to take the MC safety course before I can get a MC license anyway.

Quote:

Quote:

cheers.gif

Don't worry. I've got no illusions about my current level of riding skill.

Not having illusions about that is good for your health.

Quote:

I've got to take the MC safety course before I can get a MC license anyway.

That's good. A lot has been learned about survival on the roads in the past 25 years.

You should take the advanced MSF course in 6 to 12 months too.

I got back into riding a few years ago. I bought a Moto Guzzi Breva 750. I have ridden 35000 miles in two years! One thing that is hard to get used to is the added performance bikes have nowadays. The good news is the brakes are much better also.
Using common sense and being seen are the important things. I added a flashing LED tail light and modulated head light. I saw a bike with bright yellow add on front lights that really got my attention. Having the headlight on all the time helps but you can still go unnoticed.
The black helmets and black jackets are not such a good idea.
Since this is the oil forum I need to mention that I use HDEO in the engine and Red Line shock proof gear oil in the tranny and drive shaft gears.

Quote:

I see no Japanese brand names tatooed on people's bodies.

Some people would take that to mean these non-tattooed people are smarter, since they don't have tattoos, and this fact is further exemplified by the fact they choose not to ride a Harley!

Look, I've had Four Harleys, none were a Sportster...Sportsters are just too small for what I like a bike to do. Compared to my current 2053 cc V-twin Vulcan, even the "big" Harleys are small. Just be careful whatever bike you ride, and realize that the 50-60 year-old "New Harley" owner has a VERY high accident and death rate. Take a Motorcycle Safety course, before it's too late. It's certainly not guaranteed to keep you safe, but, it can keep you from making a mistake that can kill you. And, I think you are smart to start out on a Baby Harley, if you are relatively new to riding again. Be safe, I want to see you get a bigger Harley some day. Then if you want to ride a really big and powerful single-crank V-twin, try a Vulcan 2000...there's a good reason the computer on that bike doesn't allow full power from the engine in 1st and 2nd gears...

As someone who has been riding non stop since he was a teen I agree: skip the little Harley and go bigger. Course, I'd skip the Harley altogether but I long ago learned there's no arguing with those guys, especially the Boomers who buy them. Riding will bring you lots of joy. I can say one of the best things I ever got from riding is my handicapped plates. A sweet plum, especially this time of year
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back