thinking about drastically changing my oil buying habit

Messages
1,983
Location
New Brunswick
I'm always wondering what type of oil to buy for which car, which is more cost effective, synthetic or dino, HDEO or high mileage, so on so forth. A thought, which I'm not sure is a good one, crossed my mind about a week ago. Instead of trying to find the best oil to match a particular vehicle, maybe I should just drop it all and start buying those 20 liter (5.3 gallon) pails of oil at the Walmart in town. They are just a small bit over 31 bucks, and the oil is SM rated. I was thinking about using the 10w30, since the vehicles I own are all higher mileage cars. If I did go this route, I might 'dope' the oil in the summer with something like cd2 oil boost, then just run straight oil in the winter. Of course, I'd change the oil regularly, I'm thinking 4000 miles through spring and summer, and 3000 miles through fall and winter. I'd use good oil filters, of course. What's your take on that plan? To tell ya the truth, I'm kinda getting burned out on oil selection, it just doesn't seem as fun as it used to be.
 
Messages
6,435
Location
New Braunfels
quote:
Originally posted by 55: To tell ya the truth, I'm kinda getting burned out on oil selection, it just doesn't seem as fun as it used to be.
I agree. Your plan is sound. Any SM GF-4 oil is a very good oil for 4k mile intervals. That much oil should last a while and commit you to run the same thing for a while.
 
Messages
6,171
Location
Santa Barbara, CA
I ran M1 exclusively in my car for about 100k miles. Bought the 5qt jugs at walmart for around $20 for years. At the end of last year I was lucky enough to have some nice BITOGers give me their extra Buy3Get3 pepboys coupons for M1. I stocked up with a few quarts for 1/2 off. Now this OCI I'm running Pennzoil Platinum. Reason? It was less than $.50/qt after rebate. I also have 15qts of Maxlife recently purchased for multiple cars/family members that will be free after rebate. Make it fun and search for the best deals and you can run good quality oil for very cheap. I just picked up some $.01 (after rebate) filters today.
 
Messages
632
Location
Idaho
You gotta get excited again 55....If you have roller cams the SM is a good choice. I think I would buy a really cool oil additive to add to the oil from Speciality Formulations via MolaKule. Buy a really good pail pump and keep everything clean. Just run 6 months May-Oct and Nov-April. I just got excited again about running my oil forever in a test car....never changing it again! I gotta plan"" Stay tuned folks...
 

blupupher

Site Donor 2021
Messages
6,956
Location
Katy, Republic of Texas
Yup, would work well, but could you do it? I think we all get a bit anal when it comes to oil, but really any SL/SM oil with pretty much any filter changed every 3k will do most people just fine (and in reality it does...).
 
Messages
466
Location
Ohio
quote:
Originally posted by 55: I'm always wondering what type of oil to buy for which car, which is more cost effective, synthetic or dino, HDEO or high mileage, so on so forth. A thought, which I'm not sure is a good one, crossed my mind about a week ago. Instead of trying to find the best oil to match a particular vehicle, maybe I should just drop it all and start buying those 20 liter (5.3 gallon) pails of oil at the Walmart in town. They are just a small bit over 31 bucks, and the oil is SM rated. I was thinking about using the 10w30, since the vehicles I own are all higher mileage cars. If I did go this route, I might 'dope' the oil in the summer with something like cd2 oil boost, then just run straight oil in the winter. Of course, I'd change the oil regularly, I'm thinking 4000 miles through spring and summer, and 3000 miles through fall and winter. I'd use good oil filters, of course. What's your take on that plan? To tell ya the truth, I'm kinda getting burned out on oil selection, it just doesn't seem as fun as it used to be.
Don't give up! You may still find the Holy Grail if you just check one more Pep Boys ad in the Sunday paper! [freaknout] Just kidding. I like the idea of a good stock of the same oil and short OCI's myself. I won't use the same oil in all 3 I have, but I have enough backstock that I am willing to use that there will be no more oil hunts for a year. However, being the BITOGer that I am, I will still frequent oil aisles everywhere, but just to window shop and admire..... [Big Grin]
 
Messages
8,711
Location
Nothern USA
Don't remember seeing 20 L pails at my Wally's. I will look for them. Once considered 55 gallon drums, but didn't want a lifetime supply. 10W-30 sounds a little stout for New Brunswick winters. How about 5W-30 or even an 0w30 synthetic? Maybe with my truck and car both well out of warranty, it is time for me to look at synthetics and more than 3 month OCI's. My wife is back on the job with the 30 mile each way drive, mostly low traffic 2 lane. We put about 6-7K on in my 3 month intervals. I have stuck with 5W-30 Pennzoil dino and 3 month OCI's since the early 90's. Never get near the 3K in that time on my truck. With the Pennzoil being $9.95 for a 5 quart jug now, I am considering alternatives.
 
Messages
3,202
Location
Far North East Texas
Sounds like a good plan to me, though 5w30 might be a better choice than 10w30- same viscosity when hot, pumps a little better when cold. Either way it should work OK. There's a lot to be said for simplicity.
 

Kestas

Staff member
Messages
13,959
Location
The Motor City
I was about to make a comment that the price is no better than the sinle bottles I can get at Costco or on sale, but I see you're from Canada. For a Canadian I say you have a good plan. I wish I could find the equivalent in Detroit. I'm a 5W-30/10W-30 dino user for all my vehicles.
 
Messages
4,478
Location
Southern California
quote:
Originally posted by blupupher: Yup, would work well, but could you do it? I think we all get a bit anal when it comes to oil, but really any SL/SM oil with pretty much any filter changed every 3k will do most people just fine (and in reality it does...).
Copy that! [HAIL 2 U!]
 
Messages
249
Location
SC
I'm up to 181 quarts so I will give up on buying more oil. Thats 45 gallons of oil that I will use over the next 15 years [Eek!] All of the oil I bought was on clearance sales, between 29 cents and 79 cents.
 
Top