Thinking about buying this 2004 Ohio Suburban, opinions?

Where? They can't give them away here.
Because the ones without rust and 150K miles sell for $6-8000

Trust those of us from the rust belt. That is not very rusty and a cheap price. A Z71 in that body style that didn't have rusty bumpers would be a unicorn.

No one outside of California wants a CARB or 2wd vehicle would be my guess on the prices.

These are the realistic choices you get here
2003 Burb with only 319k miles for only $3k.
Basically worn out. But it has no rust.

If I am buying any GM product that has lived in the upper midwest/ northeast USA I am focusing on the brake pipe and fuel lines. Take a look at the fuel filter on the GM of the Suburban generation Typically one end has a nut and that assemble is corroded up on rusted GMs. If that nut is corroded, quick inspection and quick walk away from consideration. Same with the brake pipes (lines). If they are corroded, especially but not limited to connections, I am walking away.

Just my .02

Way too rusty. Frame May be good…but floor pans, brake lines, fuel lines, filler neck, fuel tank mounts, exhaust…will all be shot and cause you endless headaches.

Reactions: GON
Seems I will end up putting several thousand into it and end up with a $5k vehicle which I can buy to begin with and with no rust.
Agree, and it probably wouldn't even be worth the $5k either.

Save a little more cash and be ready to expand out of the rust belt. You'll find a deal on a decent one, just be patient. The $4+/gallon gas prices should have an effect on the values of the Suburbans before too long.

Does this make more sense?
2013 Burb with a blown motor. Get this and install a crate or a used engine with low miles. While not cheap, it will guarantee reliability and while at it, replace all the other parts - belts, etc.

175k, is it on the original trans? I would wonder if it might need a trans refresh too.

175k, is it on the original trans? I would wonder if it might need a trans refresh too.
$3500 seems like a great price if you can do the engine swap (and trans, if needed) yourself. List on a reman long block from GM is $4700, assuming you can get one.

That's the going rate around here for one with worse cosmetics.

Sure can tell who is used to buying cars in the rust belt here and who is not... Looks like an '04 living in the rust belt for most of its life... If the frame and brake lines aren't shot, then $2500 isn't bad. Lots of folks will buy those who don;t care about the cosmetic rust, then run out the rest of their functional life...

Back