Thinking about buying condo with PTAC units

I've read online that they are not that efficient. Some of them use electric heating for heat. I'm in NYC. I once used a little electric heater for a month, the electric bill was very high. I'm used to using ductless mini split, (they work great). With PTAC units, I'm kind of afraid of having an expensive bill, lackluster performance, and noise. Anyone have experience with them? This is for NYC, so heat and AC are equally as important. I wonder if they would allow me to install ductless? I haven't seen the place yet.

They make heat pump ptac units. The nice thing about ptac units is they are easy to change. If you buy the place and the ones in there are old and junky you could easily change them. They also make inverter units now so efficiency is better.

I wonder if they would allow me to install ductless? I haven't seen the place yet.
How old is this condo and how many stories? If you have units above and below you as well as on both sides, these isn't much heat or cooing loss, so bills can't be too high. And if you want ductless, don't you have to install a unit in every room? That would cost more to run than one central unit.

PTAC units SUCK. Did you hear me? The SUCK

They have zero latent capacity, meaning they really don't remove humidity. They just suck all around.

You probably aren't going to be allowed to replace the PTAC with something else, like a ductless split, so I'd pass. Hard pass.

Back