Thinking About Adding Synthetic to Dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im wondering if I were to add a quart of 0W-20 Synthetic (Im not sure yet if its full or a blend yet, waiting on a reply from Petro-Canada) to 5W-20 Dino. Both will be the same brand and the crankcase capacity is 4.2 qt. I'd do this over the cooler months of the year mainly as an aide to cold starts because although I'll will use a block heater when its 5 deg F or colder, Im unable to plug it in at work and it does draw a lot of current noticeable on my utility bill
frown.gif

So far, any oil with a 0W in front is a syntethic oil.
You certainly can do that if you wish.
Some here mix their own 'blend' oil.
The 'blend' you buy commercially is only about 15% or so synthetic anyway.
It's not considered a good value(overpriced, usually).
Mix away.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Go ahead. As long as you stay within a brand you will be fine.

I mix 2qts of syn w/3qts of dino for the winter months mainly(sometimes in the summer too), and neither are of the same brand. My engines run perfectly. Mixing brands and grades is just fine! I've been mixing for over 30 years and never a problem due to oil. Age/mileage maybe, abuse maybe but not oil. Keep my vehicles into their teens with many hundreds of thousnands of miles...LUBE AWAY!

For example: In the winter time, I may use 2qts of 5W30 syn with 3qts of 5W30 dino. OR, if I don't have any syn, I may use 2qts of 5W20 dino with 3qts of 5W30 dino.

In the summer time, I may use 2qts of syn(or maybe not) but, it may be 2qts of 10W30 syn with 3qts of 5W30 dino.

I have so many qts of oil(large stash) due to sales/rebates/closeouts/FAR, in so many different grades(0W20,5W20,0W30,5W50,10W30 & 10W40). Sometimes I'll grab what ever oil I can get my hands on especially if it's cheap. All of the oils I have in my stash are held in high reguard here at BITOG. I use the lighter oil for my I4 & V6 OHC VVT engines and the heavier oils for my small block Ameircan V8 and lawn equipment. So the vairety is what I need

I used to mix one litre of 0W20 with three litres of 5W20 for my Honda Civic Hybrid. It calls for 0W20. The problem is now I can't find any except at the stealership.

will work fine. i mix my oil all the time, especially since joining here.

go to the Canadian Tire, they have an excellent timer for 20$, that has a digital flash memory. let it run for 3 hours each morning, after that you are just wasting electricity.
i actually install TWO block heater, AND an oil pan heater. i run them for three hours, and the engine already is in operating temperature when it starts, which saves fuel and more than pays back the electrical cost. Your engine runs very rich when cold, and is very thirsty for fuel until it warms up. also, its nice for the defrost and heater to work right away, plus there is no cold start wear, oil goes instantly to the top where it's needed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Go ahead. As long as you stay within a brand you will be fine.

There isn't much point in this. Even within brands they can and often do use different additive packs from different suppliers from one product line to another.

Hi Zoomie,

If you want to know the resultant viscosity of any oil blend go to Rohmax.com. Click on customer service then viscosity blends. You'll need to know the kinematic viscosity of each oil at 40C and 100C which you can get from the Product Data Sheets most companies provide on line.

one block heater = 400W 2 heater = 800W, which is twice as good.
Add a 150w oil pan heater = three times as good, still less than
1000w, but does a Jim Dandy job of getter her nice and hot, in 3 hours on a timer, for about 25 cents of electricity, and easily saves half a litre of fuel during warm up, so you're ahead by 25 cents, plus, bonus, NO start up wear, and you can pull out at full speed. Not all vehicles will have 2 free frost plugs, but if it does, make use of it. This will also increase the longevity of the oil, cold starts are very stressful for not only the engine, but the oil as well. also, the pollution put out by the vehicle at start up will be much less, since a warm engine will warm up the catalytic converter faster as well, plus it will not be running rich.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back