Think the dealership pulled a fast one on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler 4 door and when it had 2500 miles on it I brought it to the dealer for some work the TOB was making noise but while it was there I figured I'd get the first oil change. About s week later when I get it back of course they see nothing wrong with the TOB and the oil change timer on the Dashboard has not been reset and the odometer was about .2-.3 miles off ( I wrote the miles down to see if they would even test drive it to see if the TOB was going). So today I did a oil change on my jeep and I'm at about 7000 miles now and I was alittle surprised how much metal shavings and big metal pieces in the oil . Ever other vehicle I did a change on had way less in it and it's making me think the dealer never even did the first change.

This look normal to you guys or am I just crazy also a lot of the big pieces I picked out and was looking at them so you can see them in the pic

Last edited:
Break in wear from the new engine, somewhat normal but you hardly see them on Japanese engines.

If they were that big they were just sitting in oil pan waiting to be drained.

That's what I thought I know your always gonna get some metal and even more so with a new engine I'm just use to the other vehicles I've dong changed on. when I had my 2011 mustsng gt I had the dealer do the first change and I did the second and I thought there was a lot less debris in the oil and even less each change after,but most of the other vehicles I have done changes on were a lot older. Then again I could just be going crazy and seeing this I'm no mechanic lol

This is quite a lot of metal debris even for new car. They were sitting in oil pan so no harm done. I would really do couple of short oil drains with filter if you planning to keep car for longer. Magnetic drain plug for pan would be good idea too.

I think the block on the jeep is aluminum and so is a lot of the parts don't think a magnetic plug would do much right? but I was shocked how clean the filter was is had very little metal in. The jeep uses one of those open median filters so I pulled it apart

Originally Posted By: FowVay
What's a TOB?

Throw Out Bearing. I've heard lots of complaints of them failing early in the Jeep Wrangler.

Haha nice catch on the TOB abbreviation.

I studied Auto Mechanics and I couldn't figure out what TOB stood for!!

Anyway, I have a Honda Fit, and I had the exact same Aluminum foil type pieces in my motor oil for a few OCIs.

They looked exactly like that too. You have a bit more of them, but when I dumped out my black plastic oil catch pan they were all over the bottom.

To me they looked like pieces of Aluminum piston skirt, and I knew the Fit had Moly peened pistons so I thought it could be a bit of that.

It stopped shedding after about 4 OCIs, I do them about 5-7000km apart.

The time when I noticed them the most was when I drained Pennzoil Ultra SM.

So you have no worries unless it doesn't stop.

I am installing a magnetic drain plug in the Spring to see what it grabs, but these flakes are Aluminum.

Edit: my car runs great and uses NO oil at all. This is just break in wear as other people have said.

Last edited:
With the very first Honda Accord that I ever bought, the dealer pulled a fast one on me too! I brought it in for an OCI and they never changed it but, changed me ~ $25...in 1988!

Didn't matter. I put on 340K miles on this car!
laugh.gif

That oil looks pretty caramel colored to me for an oil with 7k miles on it. I would almost bet that it has only 4500 miles on it and the dealer did do an oil change but you have some continued break in material in the oil.

The Jeep dealer service dept here is fairly reputable and I bet yours is too when it comes to changing oil and filter.

I would not sweat that stuff yet. Give it a few more OCI cycles before you get too worried.
49.gif

Wow... some Chrysler quality there... I've built new engines dozens of times over the years and have NEVER seen that much metal debris in the oil when I change it... Thats pretty pathetic IMO...

I'd watch that thing very closely and be very concerned if I were you. Modern engines barely need any break in at all and surely shouldn't be shedding aluminum chunks that size!

I'd flush out the oil pan. It's entirely possible those are not wear metals, but just "debris" from manufacture.

No sense in eventually sucking debris into the oil pump, just to have the filter catch it.

Anyway, the easy way to flush a pan is simply to configure a 2 or 3 gal pressurized container like you might use for spraying roundup or insecticide. Use a small, flexible tube and insert it in the oil drain plug. Use your choice of solvent. Kerosene works very well. So does gasoline.

After that, I'd not worry. As I'm sure you know, many, many engines have debris, and the owners have no idea. The filter protects against sloppy manufacturing techniques, then catches nothing the rest of the engines life..... My Cessna airplane had no filter at all. Lasted from 1974 through 2007.

Last edited:
Don't pull the oil pan, and don't be alarmed. If it has that kind of swarf in it on the next drain, that would be a little strange. High probability that all is well.

Could be normal.
For Reference Purposes, you could save all those metal particles and put them in a small glass jar.
List with Date & Mileage.
Just put some Kerosene in the drain bucket and then pour thru a 'fine' screen.
If it clears up the next couple oil changes, then no problem.
If it continues, keep collecting them and you have a 'history' of problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: FowVay
What's a TOB?

Throw Out Bearing. I've heard lots of complaints of them failing early in the Jeep Wrangler.

It's a 100K service item on the NGS370 pretty much.

0P-
You having a lot of chain noise on that engine? That is a lot of debris. I can imagine that much stuff in the second OCI - esp in filtered lubricant - mabe in a OPE gen set, but not your 3.6.

I have RARELY had anyone else change my oil in 14 years.
I mark the filter,

and when picking up I check the dipstick.

only has happened 2x in 14 years when I had surgery.

Last edited:
I had a Camry (older with high miles) that had weird chunks (small) in the drain pan when id change the oil. It was also very glittery. I had a UOA done and it came back perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back