Think of getting a bike, whats a good 1st ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry about what people say about the different types of bike. Buy the type that grabs you. My best friend is a dyed in the wool cruiser rider, while I'm into standards. We both enjoy the occasional ride on each other's bikes, and appreciate the differences, but still choose to own the respective types. If you are not certain, I'd suggest riding all the different types first.

I've ridden everything from full dress tourers to 125cc commuters, and everything in-between. I've found that every bike, with the right tires and riding style, can be ridden very quickly, and that includes big cruisers. No, a cruiser won't do it with as much aplomb as a sport-bike, but you can still suprise people. It's also no big deal if you don't care about riding quickly, and in that case, a sport-bike is a waste, with a cruiser probably being the best choice. I like bikes that do everything well, so standards are for me.

I'd also suggest that you buy a used bike first, of the type that you find most attractive, but smaller if you are looking at anything but a cruiser. Older bikes lose little value if you decide you want something else, where you'll take a serious hit on a new bike.

The Vulcan 900 is a bit bigger than I'd suggest for a first bike, but not majorly so. For standards I'd suggest something under 600 and for sportbikes under 400. A good first cruiser would probably be under 750.

Please do not consider motorcycle safety courses to be optional. The things you learn with such a course are not intuitive and will drastically reduce the probability of having a major accident.

I started with a 20HP 250, moved up to a 58HP 650, and am now riding a 87HP 700. The biggest step was the 250, but every step up in power took some getting used to. The acceleration that mid-size and up bikes are capable of can easlily put you past your limits. Heck, a 250 can do it, but it's acceleration is closer to that of a car. I don't see my self ever needing more speed and acceleration, but am now considering something bigger for over the road comfort. Maybe a BMW K75...

FordFasteRR
Not all of your facts are correct. My 790 lbs. Harley gets 45-50 mpg with a mix of city/highway driving. I commute on this bike most of the time, and mileage is better than co-workers 2001 Yamaha R6. Thats a fact.

Ditto what Bagger said, I have a 750 vulcan, 47 mpg, more city than highway. 110$ per year full coverage insurance. While it doesn't handle like a crotch rocket rocket it will stop on a dime with dual front disks.

How set are you getting a cruiser? If you are really set on getting one of those, then I might suggest looking at the smaller Yamaha cruisers (535 or 600 Virago's, even the venerable 750 Virago). Those machines are quite reliable by all reports. The Kawasaki 454 is also a good achine and is water-cooled (positives &d negatives to that in a used machine). I would suggest that some sportish bikes such as Suzuki's GS500 would serve very well or the Kawasaki EX500 Ninja. Those are mildly tuned & quite comfortable machines for all-around use. Good for learning on! The entire Yamaha Maxim line (sort of cuiser-meets-standard line of bikes) would serve well. Yamaha also used to make the Seca line (which uses the same engines but is more sportbike-meets-standard) & has even revised & reintroduced a Seca model recently.

Suzuki has a line of bikes called the Bandit. They are a lot like the new Seca - air-cooled inline four's that are comfortable to ride & very good values.

DO NOT get a late-model sportbike such as an R6 or GSXR600 - they ain't for learning on a-tall. As well, DO NOT get a heavyweight cruiser. Stick with what you NEED not what you want. If you come acress something that seems in reasonable condition & price, bounce it off us here & we may have some insights.

John.

I ride cruisers because I must be forced to be more tame in my riding. I like to ride at the limits on bikes that handle great, and that is too dangerous to do on public streets...it's just a matter of "when" I make a mistake, or some other driver makes a mistake. I find with cruisers, I can settle down to a more sane level of cornering speed due to the low side clearance, and they are more about sound and feel than speed and yaw-angle. Love the sport-bikes, but, I stay on big cruisers!

Vader makes some very good points.

Take the MSF course. Preferably BEFORE you buy your bike.

If this is your first bike, buy something used. It's not required, but you'll probably dump your new bike several times before you acquire street smarts. Better to do that with a used bike. Besides, you'll probably decide you like something else better after logging several thousand miles.

You'll also need to determine what kind of riding you want to do - cruising or sport. Cruisers are quite comfortable and allow for a relaxed seating position. Sport bikes are meant for canyon carving at high speeds, and provide appropriate seating to do so. They're not comfortable for long distances, although there are thousands who have used sport bikes to go touring.

Just looked back and determined that VadarSS said everything that needed saying.

Regards, Gary in Sandy Eggo

I have had several bikes and for your first bike I would recommend you get a used metric cruiser under 1100cc if possible from someone who put limited mileage after they impulse bought. The metric bike don't hold their value well so you can get a really good deal on a 2 year old bike that has 95% of it's useful life in it. Then decide what you like after a year. Don't buy a Harley until you are sure you like bikes.

I found 750cc sport touring bikes to be a good all around bike, and these days 600cc will do fine. Not too leaned over all ricky racer like on the sport bikes, and sport bikes these days are just probably just plain dangerous for novices. I found cruisers to be bizarre, all leaned back and all, but I guess they ok for moderate riding. Motobagos like Gold Wings and such never appealed to me, and that's all that I have to say about that. A sport tourer allows comfortable riding on extended trips, and enough speed and handling to have fun. Heavier 1200cc to 1000cc bikes offer more power, my all time favorite bike was an 1100cc Suzuki, but they're also heavier and are harder to keep out of trouble. I could wrestle with a 750cc and keep it up when hitting oil or such, but couldn't alsways do the same with the 1100cc, and ended up going down a couple of times at low speed. The 1000cc sport bikes are very light these days, but 10 seconds flat and 135 to 140 mph in the 1/4 mile isn't a good bike to start with.

For a first bike, I'd stick with something used, because more than likely you'll dump it while learning to ride... especially slow speed manuevering.

It's up to you regarding cruisers and sportbikes. Cruisers have less aggressive ergonomics, but are heavier. Sportbikes are lighter and nimbler, but can get you into trouble if you give it too much throttle or too much brake.

If you're going with a cruiser or standard, look for something with a 750cc or smaller engine. If you're looking at sportbikes, at most 600cc.

Your size may be of some affect on which bike you choose.
Cruisers have low seat height, BUT they often push the foot controls waaaay out in front.
If you are short legged, that's were the problem might be.
If you're not challenged leg wise, a standard(can you still get those?) or cruise of about 750/800cc is a good place to start.
You sound like you have ridden or can ride now, so a relly small bike will bore you in short order. The course is a good idea in any case, and it may help with insurance.

my friend just for rid of his kawasaki 800 Drifter for the Vulcan 900. even though there is less than a 100cc difference. he said the power is worlds different. ALOT more torque. and the thing i like about the 900 over when i had a 800 is belt drive VS chain, Fuel injection VS carb. long valve adjustment intervals, rear disc brakes. I saw a vn900LT today on the rode. WOW it looked Full size, and was a great sounding bike also.
chris

quote:

Originally posted by Jeepster_nut:
I am looking into getting a bike for joy riding on the weekends and after work on weekdays. I was looking at the Metric Cruisers. What would you recommend for a first bike? I like the Kawasaki Vulcan 900. I have always had quads/jetskis/ and I had an Yamaha XS400 a long time ago for a few months.

A nice used Honda ACE tourer 1100 sounds like it would suit your needs perfectly.

quote:

Originally posted by FordFasteRR:
if you plan to ride in the city, go with any cruiser that suites you ...

here is my take on cruisers..

#1. weak brakes.
#2. crappy tires, little traction.
#3. bad handling, turns like a boat...
#4. sound like junk
#5. twin cylinders rattle a lot , vibrate your brains out.
#6. suck on fuel consumption.....

If you live somewhere with country roads, get yourself a sport bike. any 600cc will be a great first bike because they have:

#1. awesome brakes!
#2. great tires and awesome traction on turns.
#3. great handling, feels like a train on rails !
#4. sound awesome at high rpms !
#5. very little if any noticeable vibration
#6. very good on gas, usually over 40 + mpg.

Good luck !

OK, maybe you're talking about Harley's, but my V-Star 1100 has:

#1. Great brakes - Dual discs up front, single disc rear. They can really haul the bike to a stop in a hurry.
#2. Great tires and awesome traction on turns. I've had the bike down almost scraping the pipes and it felt just fine. It will never be a sport bike, but it is more than enough for anything short of racing.
#3. Great handling - see #2. I ride with guys with sport bikes. I keep up just fine in the twisties.
#4. Very little vibration in the motor and the bike sounds down right fantastic at WOT. It's not a Harley and doesn't vibrate like one.
#5. See #4. The bike runs awful smooth. Again, it might look and sound like a Harley, but it certainly doesn't ride like one.
#6. I get between 40 and 50 mpg on regular 87 octane in my 1100. Probably because I don't have to turn the motor at 10000 RPM to make any power like most sport bikes.

Oh yah, and I can ride my bike for more than 20 minutes without my shoulders hurting. Sport bikes are made for racing. For anything other than that, they pretty much suck.

Pretty much true in a real-world application Dub... Particularly the bit about the pain. You gotta be flying on most squirtbikes for the weight to be taken from the wrists (R1's, 6's and Ninjas, etc.). Not that they are not fun - that's undeniable - just that all bikes have their strengths and higher-spec sportbikes' strengths are skewed to performance. For some that gets to be too big of a compromise in the real-world. I like sport-tourers of all sizes. I have an FJR. Perhaps in my future, as I age, there might be a power-cruiser in store for me! Used an MT-01 the other day - THAT was a hoot!

John.

quote:

Originally posted by Reg# 43897:
Pretty much true in a real-world application Dub... Particularly the bit about the pain. You gotta be flying on most squirtbikes for the weight to be taken from the wrists (R1's, 6's and Ninjas, etc.). Not that they are not fun - that's undeniable - just that all bikes have their strengths and higher-spec sportbikes' strengths are skewed to performance. For some that gets to be too big of a compromise in the real-world. I like sport-tourers of all sizes. I have an FJR. Perhaps in my future, as I age, there might be a power-cruiser in store for me! Used an MT-01 the other day - THAT was a hoot!

John.

A friend of mine picked up a Suzuki M109R. That bike is just incredible. It's half sport bike - half power cruiser. Almost 130 hp at the rear tire.
worshippy.gif

I had an 883 Sportster and was cramped on it at first, but Corbin makes a tall rider seat and with highway pegs I had plenty of room. The Sportster is easy to handle too. Parts are cheap and available and I never had any problems with my Sportster.

Technically, you could learn on any bike as long as you have good self-control. The bigger the engine, the faster you can get yourself into trouble... no matter if it is a cruiser or sportbike. Too much throttle or brake will get you into alot of trouble quickly.

I'd recommend going to a used bike shop and sit on a what they have in stock so you get a feel for what fits you. Bikes come in different sizes, so you should find one that you feel comfortable on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back