Things that I THOUGHT were illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weekend a couple of things have turned up in the media that I thought would have been illegal...but in reflection I agree aren't.

Prison Guard/Inmate relationships - we've got a maximum security (male) prison here just out of town. It's in scandal at the present time along with at least another three in the sate, with guards and inmates having bedtime relationships. Naturally massive public outcry...but it's not illegal, it's consentual...appears that employment contracts and codes of conduct, but not the law...fair enough.

Was telling a workmate about our crazy night last Thursday (lunacy thread), and he one upped me.

His son has recently moved for work, $1.5-$2M houses around him, and a very unstable household over the road. Went to bed (must find out the timing) with them screaming, and awoke in the wee hours to hear a hi-po engine screaming...faltering, then exploding, the oil fuel and what not catching the garage (built in) and the house went up before fire trucks could get there.

Apparently THAT's not illegal either (destruction of your own property)...as long as you don't claim insurance.

Were another 2-3 in the media over the weekend...if you do it during a divorce process, you are destroying someone elses property (their half) in one of the cases.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
... and awoke in the wee hours to hear a hi-po engine screaming...faltering, then exploding, the oil fuel and what not catching the garage (built in) and the house went up before fire trucks could get there.

Guess the guy should have ran something with higher HTHS.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
... and awoke in the wee hours to hear a hi-po engine screaming...faltering, then exploding, the oil fuel and what not catching the garage (built in) and the house went up before fire trucks could get there.

Guess the guy should have ran something with higher HTHS.
grin2.gif

You can't be too careful with your factory engine warranty.

His son has recently moved for work, $1.5-$2M houses around him

pfft, that buys you a condo in my area!
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

coffee2.gif

Helloooo Vancouver? Totally SNAFU real estate market there. Been going that way since Hong Kong '99. Mainland Chinese flight money has only accelerated. Getting rather famous for it. Not good for "normal" people or for the city as a whole.

Larry

In the province of Ontario, Canada you need to be at least 16 years old to get married but you must have parental permission if you are under 18 years old (16 or 17).

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
In the province of Ontario, Canada you need to be at least 16 years old to get married but you must have parental permission if you are under 18 years old (16 or 17).

You’ll need to wait a few more years though in order to buy the champaigne..... and don’t you dare to get any ideas about smoking....
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: csandste
States set minimum marriage age, not the Federal government. Imagine something similar in Canada-- provincial level? Agree that this is misleading. Kind of like the maps that ignore state and local educational expenditures in "proving" that the US underfunds education.

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia
Every state except Delaware and New Jersey allows exceptions to their age of marriage. Most states allow marriage at 16 and 17 with parental consent, and some states also make exceptions if judicial approval is obtained, or in cases of pregnancy. Given an exception, 18 U.S. states have no minimum age of marriage at all. Thirty-two of the states have a minimum age, which can be as low as 14.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage_in_the_United_States

Prison Guard/Inmate relationships - we've got a maximum security (male) prison here just out of town. It's in scandal at the present time along with at least another three in the sate, with guards and inmates having bedtime relationships.

Trying to come up with something snarky involving soap-on-a-rope but got nothing....

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

coffee2.gif

Helloooo Vancouver? Totally SNAFU real estate market there. Been going that way since Hong Kong '99. Mainland Chinese flight money has only accelerated. Getting rather famous for it. Not good for "normal" people or for the city as a whole.

Larry

Lol, you know it!
lol.gif

Drinking and driving - you can drink a bottle of beer while driving...so long as you are under the limit.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Drinking and driving - you can drink a bottle of beer while driving...so long as you are under the limit.

Here, that's illegal

Originally Posted By: Silk

Not here, it's illegal to have any open container of alcohol in a vehicle.

I was in a customer's vehicle last week...an open bottle of beer in the cup holder. Driving over the alcohol limit is an offence, being under is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back