Things always seem to cost more than I think they should

Yeah it seems like a lot. Was it really 7 hours of labor? For that price it should be.
Of course they should have given you an estimate beforehand, so it should not be a surprise.
When things seem to cost more than you think they should, it often means you're getting old.
I resemble that, BTW.
Is almost 70 old?

Yes $700 seems high. But you have to consider the price of everything has gone up and keeps going. Means overhead and wages go up
also. Plus the fact places cant even find enough workers anymore. You could have saved a few bucks had you known (been on terms) with
an owner of a local private shop. Its hard to accept I know as I cringe to turn any of my vehicles over to anyone but when we do, its gonna
cost us more and more all the time.
I considered myself (66) old when my back, neck, knees and ankles , shoulder prevented me for doing almost all the DIY things I did all
my life. About the only thing I can do anymore is light electrical or plumbing in the house. Nephews and son I use for some things and I
make them take some $$$$ even thought they try to run off without taking it.

Is almost 70 old?
For most people. There are exceptions. When I retired I left behind a guy older than me who was built like Paul Bunyan and could work circles around younger guys. I asked why he wasn't leaving too? He said LoL. he did not want to get old. He said everyone he knew who retired got old!

I charge $120 an hour on passenger cars & 1/2 trucks.....$150 an hour on 3/4 ton & 1 ton. $200 an hour on the East or West coasts sounds about right.
Was just talking to a friend who works at a high-line dealer in Southern CA. Not an expensive part of Southern CA either. His dealer has raised their rates by 1/3 since last year - they are currently at $270/hr.

But you have to consider the price of everything has gone up and keeps going.
Exactly. We are in a death spiral of soaring inflation. Everything is up, probably 50% in less than 3 years. Shop has to pay for stuff just like everyone here, wages increase to keep up with inflation b/c those mechanics have families to feed, etc. We are getting murdered.

I just returned from grocery shopping. Examples:
1 gallon OJ - $10
2 pounds shredded cheese - $10
Sliced deli turkey was $10/lb and chicken $13 per pound.
Basic frozen pizza - $10
sliced deli cheese around $8/lb.

I came out with 3 plastic bags: a loaf of bread, 2 pounds lunchmeat, 3 pounds of various cheese, a frozen pizza, and 10 pounds of potatoes for $60... SIXTY DOLLARS.

I talked to a lady who was obviously upset, mom of 4. Said she was going to have to skip most of her list, couldn't even buy butter.

It's a complete travesty, what is going on.

$700 for that labor is extremely reasonable in our run-away inflationary period. I'll even go further and say anyone who can spend cash now to get good discounts should be doing so before further inflation.

Exactly. We are in a death spiral of soaring inflation. Everything is up, probably 50% in less than 3 years. Shop has to pay for stuff just like everyone here, wages increase to keep up with inflation b/c those mechanics have families to feed, etc. We are getting murdered.

I just returned from grocery shopping. Examples:
1 gallon OJ - $10
2 pounds shredded cheese - $10
Sliced deli turkey was $10/lb and chicken $13 per pound.
Basic frozen pizza - $10
sliced deli cheese around $8/lb.

I came out with 3 plastic bags: a loaf of bread, 2 pounds lunchmeat, 3 pounds of various cheese, a frozen pizza, and 10 pounds of potatoes for $60... SIXTY DOLLARS.

I talked to a lady who was obviously upset, mom of 4. Said she was going to have to skip most of her list, couldn't even buy butter.

It's a complete travesty, what is going on.

$700 for that labor is extremely reasonable in our run-away inflationary period. I'll even go further and say anyone who can spend cash now to get good discounts should be doing so before further inflation.
Help is on the way soon. Ooops. No it is not.

Back