Things always seem to cost more than I think they should

Yeah it seems like a lot. Was it really 7 hours of labor? For that price it should be.
Of course they should have given you an estimate beforehand, so it should not be a surprise.
When things seem to cost more than you think they should, it often means you're getting old.
I resemble that, BTW.

$700? That's too much in labor. I wonder how much it would've been if you didn't supply the oils. As for the diff covers the gaskets aren't expensive. But that's lame no drain bolts on them. Can you post the itemized bill just with personal info folded out of sight or marked out.

Yeah, post the bill. Seems high, but, it's a big truck.

Did you demand Amsoil or something? I wonder if pricey fluid plus high labor charges on an oversized vehicle (plus an upcoming boat payment) was behind this.

sounds $$$pendy to me!! thats why i DIY whenever i can! your location means a lot for sure BUT still $$$ as a pro should be able to handle that in a few hrs, unless he stands + watches each fluid drain!!!!

So the bill d/n include fluids, but does include filters? $700 for labor, 2 fuel and one trans filter, maybe some minor consumables like cleaner, etc. and disposal fee for the fluids? Not inexpensive but I don't see it as completely unreasonable.

HVAC makes this look like bargain...
Friend's furnace blower died.. its a trane 2 stage nothing super fancy.
1800+

oh and they jacked it up somehow.. now it wont turn off.

Not sure which blower it was but I see about 20 options from $150-$500

House is large 4 bedroom

Last edited:
Got the transmission drain & filled along with filter changed, front and rear diff gear drain & fill, xfer case drain & fill, both diesel fuel filters changed.

I supplied the lubricants. The diff covers needed to be pulled and installed back on, no drain plug.

The bill was just over $700. Seems like a lot.
Totally reasonable IMO. Maybe cheap overall today. Factor in reality we've had probably 40% inflation since 2020. About 15% annually.

In 2019 I paid close to that, for similar work (new CV Boot, power steering flush/fill, transmission filter, spill and fill). It was about $825, and I didn't supply any materials. That shop is very fair and honest, but I think 20% higher priced than another shop I use.

Some vehicles are more complex than others. Dropping a tranny pan is not a small task, generally requires a lift. Pulling diff covers is messy and time consuming as well. These are not particularly hard but somewhat labor intensive, sometimes requiring 2 people (double labor charge?). Might be a lift-fee as well.

$700 for labor for transmission and diff, dropped and opened, serviced, fuel filters, etc.. Verdict: Reasonable. Maybe even under-charged in 2023 dollars.

seems high to me 700$ including all the fluids etc would be ok though.

Trans fluid change which I assume required a pan drop, front and rear diff fluid changes requiring the covers to be pulled, transfer case fluid change and two fuel filter changes for $700 labor? Doesn't sound at all unreasonable to me.

I would guess the price is ball park especially if the quality of the work was there. The Wife had a 2002 F250 with the diesel engine and now she has a 2018 F350 with the 6.2 gas and I have done the maintenance, it is time consuming to change the diffs and clean the RTV , change the trans oil and filter do the trans case and I wouldn't know about the diesel fuel filters. Half a day + clean up and paperwork.

Last edited:
So the bill d/n include fluids, but does include filters? $700 for labor, 2 fuel and one trans filter, maybe some minor consumables like cleaner, etc. and disposal fee for the fluids? Not inexpensive but I don't see it as completely unreasonable.
I provided all the filters. Transmission pan gasket is reusable. Unsure about diff covers.

$700? That's too much in labor. I wonder how much it would've been if you didn't supply the oils. As for the diff covers the gaskets aren't expensive. But that's lame no drain bolts on them. Can you post the itemized bill just with personal info folded out of sight or marked out.

Attachments

• PXL_20230128_223549214.jpg
    PXL_20230128_223549214.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 45
Back