thin30w vs heavy,acceleration.

recently moved to a thiner 5w30 from my previous one and I feel the car accelerate faster under the same pedal input and on wot,now I know that placebo is strong and real in thos situations but is there a chance its a reality?the heavier had a kv100 of 11.4,hths of3.3 and a vi of166 the thiner one has hths of3.1,kv of 10.3 and vi of162.

recently moved to a thiner 5w30 from my previous one and I feel the car accelerate faster under the same pedal input and on wot,now I know that placebo is strong and real in thos situations but is there a chance its a reality?the heavier had a kv100 of 11.4,hths of3.3 and a vi of166 the thiner one has hths of3.1,kv of 10.3 and vi of162.
Turbo? Turbo will spool bit faster. Highly doubt any noticeable difference on stopwatch.

I'll take increased protection over one tenth second quicker acceleration.

Same with "performance" air filters. Yeah they do very slightly increase acceleration but the poor filtration isn't worth it in my mind.

I just went the other way from a "thin" 5/30 (pp ultra) to a "thicker" 5/30 (M1 ESP) in both my 3.0L turbo Volvos, and dint notice a difference. Also ETd at the track last weekend, slightly faster. Now I did go from reg M1 5/30 years ago to M1 0/40 in an older 2.4T volvo and noticed slightly slower spool.

Same with "performance" air filters. Yeah they do very slightly increase acceleration but the poor filtration isn't worth it in my mind.
Agree 100%....Ive seen the ugly stuff K&N has done....even on my own stuff....I would only use on on a low use track car if no other option

Could be many other factors other than viscosity.
I agree on the ability to feel a difference. I am for instance very sensitive to how my engine (and car in general) behaves.

Need to do the "blind oil test" (ie, not knowing what oil is in the engine). It was probably mostly placebo with a KV delta of 1.1 and HTSH delta of 0.2. I went from a 5W-20 to a 5W-30 in a Coyote and couldn't tell any difference, but that engine makes 436 HP so it's not going to be sensitive to viscosity with that much power. On a low HP engine it might be more noticeable. What's the HP rating of your engine?

Need to do the "blind oil test" (ie, not knowing what oil is in the engine). It was probably mostly placebo with a KV delta of 1.1 and HTSH delta of 0.2. I went from a 5W-20 to a 5W-30 in a Coyote and couldn't tell any difference, but that engine makes 436 HP so it's not going to be sensitive to viscosity with that much power. On a low HP engine it might be more noticeable. What's the HP rating of your engine?
192hp

i know it sounds crazy but on the high way with the same pedal input the car cruises 10kph faster on the exact road i drive all the time,it is so weird.

Add me to the that list. It's also possible to see increased oil consumption with oils hovering near the thinner end of the grade. Especially if you frequently do a lot of heavy acceleration.

i think im protected enough with the ss.
its a family car that i hardly rev it above 4k rpm.

noticed big difference going from 5w30 resource conserving to 5w40 oil. 5w40 made engine very reluctant to rev up. but the 5w30 was hths 2.9 100c 9.6cst. the 5w40 was hths 3.5 and 100c 13.6cst. so thats like 37% or more thicker at 100c. and i felt it alright. engine ran hotter too as in warmed up faster with the 5w40 so that means more friction or load. dumped the 5w40 in 1 week and went back to 5w30.
5w40 was quieter though.

I went with a thin 5w30 where 5w20 is spec so I know it is different but yet not so different as op. On the 20 grade it was Valvoline Daily Synthetic Blend and 30 grade was Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic. It revs smoother with Synthetic although not bad with 20 grade. Engine gets revved up to 6500 rpm on occasion without worry with no oil consumption on either oil. Best I can explain it is engines that are built with a grade in mind can be changed by manufacture down a grade for better fuel mileage without effects on wear when normally driven. You can go up a grade without worrying as well. However if you plan on tracking the vehicle, changes to internal and oil are recommended with knowing that you will do all you can to extend the life of engine also knowing as well it will or better yet can blow up at any second.

When in a AA Fuel dragster and .002 seconds make a difference it might be the edge you need if your response time on the accelerator is always the same. In a regular car it is bad logic lost!

Back