Thickest or thinnest oil you have used in winter

Temperatures don't get too low over here in the UK. I think -10°c (14°f) is probably the lowest we see every few years. Especially near to the coast where I live. Some places further North of the country, Scotland etc will get a bit colder.

I think the thickest in a daily driver I've gone over winter was Morris Lubricants HD4 15w40 in my Wifes 2016 Dacia Duster 1.5DCi 4WD. Was absolutely fine with no issues. Still wish we never got rid of that car! What a mistake that turned out to be.

Once my current stock dries up I'm going to buy 40 litres of Mobil Delvac MX ESP 15w40 which I plan to run in everything for the next 12 months or so, or until I run out and buy something else. I think it's the same product as the Mobil Delvac1 Extreme you get over there?

I use 0W20 in my Honda, Jeep, and Ford truck most of the time. The Corvette takes a little thicker oil 10W30. The 0W20 works great for me year round and is my go to oil. Any brand but I always use full synthetic and I don't use synthetic blends because the price is about the same. Lately I just go to Costco and grab the Kirkland brand. Actually I used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic in my Honda on Monday.

Attachments

• 19wenutMSiKO7Gwt2WTGYQ.jpg
    19wenutMSiKO7Gwt2WTGYQ.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 21
I’ve had two vehicles lock up and not start close to -30C with 10W-30 oil in them; including M1 EP 10W-30. These vehicles both had good batteries in them.
That’s why I think people who say ‘I’ve started a car at -40 with 10W-40 in it’ are exaggerating about the temperature - 10W DOES NOT work below -25C.

Rotella 15w-40 in my Prius because I was curious. Caused slow/harsh cold starts and noticeably lower MPG beginning around 20F. I'll still use it in the spring/summer if it's all I have sitting around.

PUP is a good thin-for-gade oil for winters. Others might be more suitable for hotter weather for same grade.

We need to add to our posts, the winter temps and why do we chose the W viscosity. I use a 0w 0r 5W - 30 or 40 all year because I do more or less once a year oil changes and where ever I have lived the oil viscosity spread allows all year use of the oil all year long and allows the engine to out live the ownership of my vehicles. Where I live , Caldwell Idaho, it gets into the low teens some times to zero degrees F. The highs are a bit over 100* F during the hot spells.

Back