Thickest 20w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
A catalogue in the newspaper this morning for Autobarn (Australia) had 5 litre jugs of Pennzoil mono grade 60
shocked.gif
- for older engines.

It seems we are tending to thicker oils over here, 6 years ago 15W-40 was our most popular, and now 20W-50 is used, in most i6's and V8's.(those with a bit of mileage on them).

Dave

[ April 24, 2004, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: DavoNF ]

Dave,
I was going to post that we had our first frost today, and the Supercheap Auto catalogue was in the mail with Pennzoil straight 50, and Shell Heilx 25W-70.

I can't think of any oils less suited to Lithgow's winter (I ran the latter last year for an experiment, but that's about it).

How cold does it get in Lithgow in the winter? What would the coldest spot in Australia see on the coldest winter day? Would it ever hit -10C anywhere there for example? Or would that be super rare?

Patman,
the coldest recorded temperature in Lithgow was -11C, I've seen -8 here, but only once. We get a fair few -5, -6 mornings.

I don't think there'd be a -20 in this country ( I could be wrong on that)

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
Patman,
the coldest recorded temperature in Lithgow was -11C, I've seen -8 here, but only once. We get a fair few -5, -6 mornings.

That's it.....I'm moving to australia. Oh yeah....I forgot about 120 degree summers you guys have down there......DOH!!!!!
cheers.gif

quote:

That's it.....I'm moving to australia. Oh yeah....I forgot about 120 degree summers you guys have down there......DOH!!!!!

But the beer is nice and cold.
cheers.gif

offtopic.gif

Shannow,

Is the Newnes valley still as pretty as it was, or have the coal miners moved in? Spent many a happy day there in the early 70's, with my long hair, Kombi van and the odd vegetarian cigarette.

Sadly my hair is thinning, the Kombi passed away and I've stopped smoking. Such is life.

Dave.

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:

quote:

Patman,

cheers.gif

I'll gladly take the hot summers, it's only 3C here right now! (forecast was for 13C too, making it even worse!)

quote:

Patman,

I dopn't see records here but there are some interesting climat maps of Oz

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/map/anual_rainfall/index_tmp.shtml

What towns are the hot ones in Oz. I thought Alice springs was hot, but it's only about the same as Sacramento, CA in the summer.

sbc and Patman, the more the merrier I say.

As we live in the "mountains" (1000m above sea level), we don't get the extreme heat. This year we touched 40C a couple of times, and every day in January was over 32C.

But as Dave says, we've got the best, coldest beer in the world.

quote:

Originally posted by DavoNF:
Shannow,

Is the Newnes valley still as pretty as it was, or have the coal miners moved in? Spent many a happy day there in the early 70's, with my long hair, Kombi van and the odd vegetarian cigarette.

Sadly my hair is thinning, the Kombi passed away and I've stopped smoking. Such is life.

Dave.

Dave,
the Newnes area is still glorious. It survived the shale mines a hundred years ago exceptionally well, and is currently untouched by coal mining (It's all underground in this area, so there are subsidence issues, but no great swathes of cleared area.

It's amazing how the environment in this area has swung back.

Turn of the (last) century Lithgow, there was not a tree around, due to the acid coming from the rudimentary copper and iron smelters - now it looks like virgin hardwood forest.

When they were refining oil from the shale, the unwanted byproducts were literlly poured into the rivers to be carried off (giving local places such interesting names as "kerosene valve"). 100 years later, there's some rustic looking boilers and brickwork, and you'd never know what used to go on there.

OK, back on topic.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Thickest 20w-50 I've seen is Castrol's High Milege product. It has a cSt@100c of 20.3

This one looks like the winner, I have checked a few and the range is from the high 17's.
Halvoline 20w-50 is 19.1. So looks like Castrol HM is the winner.

Dave

[ April 26, 2004, 03:20 AM: Message edited by: DavoNF ]

offtopic.gif
Wasn't this thread about 20w50 oils ?
"If I want to know the weather in other parts of the world, I'll watch the Weather Channel"
rolleyes.gif
(j/k
wink.gif
smile.gif
)

There was 30cm of snow at Mount Buller over the weekend, looks like the ski season will be early this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back