Thicker than M1 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Ford 4.6L SOHC V8 (2000) that makes a tad more noise than I want with the 5W-30. I hear that LS1 owners switch to another type of oil and the noise goes away.

I'm thinking if I step up to a slightly thicker oil, it might protect the engine better.

What I'm really concerned about is the nylon timing chain tensioner arm wear as well as valvetrain bearing surface wear.

My car sees year-round driving in Michigan. From sub-zero temperatures to 100F (ambient).

Should I go with M1 10W-30? Or 0W-40?
Or a home-brew mix of 10W-30, 5W-30, and 0W-40?

Try out Amsoil 5w30, it's about 2cst thicker at 100c. And you are an Amsoil dealer, or did you forget?
dunno.gif

As a dealer, it's going to cost me a tad more to order Amsoil than it is to walk to Walmart and pickup a few bottles of M1.
dunno.gif

That's one major gripe I have about Amsoil's dealer pricing.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
I have a Ford 4.6L SOHC V8 (2000) that makes a tad more noise than I want with the 5W-30. I hear that LS1 owners switch to another type of oil and the noise goes away.

Certainly you can't compare the 4.6 to the LS1 and I'm not saying you are but with your aftermarket cams I'd look into the Mobil M1R 0w-30 .

If it was mine I would just throw a quart of M1 15W50 into the mix with the 5W30. That should do it. If my calcs are correct you would end up with a 7W34 oil which might be just the thing.

Dickwells: Good idea! If I did 4 qt 5W-30 w/ 1 qt 15W-50, I end up with a 40C cSt of 69.8 anda 100C cSt of about 11.48
Those specs are similar to Amsoil ATM 10W-30. I'm wondering how the SAE viscosity grades can differ so much between manufacturers.

Motorbike: I would TRY 0W-30R but I cannot find it. I may do some searching in the near future, but how much per quart does the racing M1 cost? If its over $5, I might as well go with Amsoil.
dunno.gif

[ May 06, 2004, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: metroplex ]

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
Dickwells: Good idea! If I did 4 qt 5W-30 w/ 1 qt 15W-50, I end up with a 40C cSt of 69.8 anda 100C cSt of about 11.48

You should mix it up first and send it off for a VOA to see the viscosity. If you use Wearcheck USA you can get the viscosity at 100C and 40C too.

Mixing two different viscosities of oil with different levels of VII in them doesn't always return an exact mathematical average of the two remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back