Thick & Thin

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most wear occurs at start up is not entirely true in my opion! Look at the guy that is a courier here and has 300,000++++ miles on his truck and I am sure it does not idle constantly in california. What about hybrids that shut off and restart constantly. What about golf carts thats shut off and restart automaticly when you hit the gas pedal etc..... I have never blown up an engine by starting it!

I think one should use the thickest oil that is right for the ambient temps you will see dureing the OCI. I am starting to lean towards a good synthetic 5W40 for year round use though! The amount of VII's in a gality synthetic 5W40 is minimal and it offers a great comprimise fr 99% of United States. It is almost impossable to go wrong with gality dino or synthetic 10W30 for year round use though either!

JohnBrowning - The most wear occurs at start up is not entirely true in my opion! Look at the guy that is a courier here and has 300,000++++ miles on his truck and I am sure it does not idle constantly in california. What about hybrids that shut off and restart constantly. What about golf carts thats shut off and restart automaticly when you hit the gas pedal etc..... I have never blown up an engine by starting it!

The general opinion is that "cold startup" is where the greatest wear occurs. Your examples of high mileage vehicles demonstrates my point. Warm starts do little harm.

1sttruck
Life across the pond
Very short start up journeys
Blast down twisting county roads - gear changing and high revs
Blast down Motorways - Fast Lane speed usually 80-120+ Germany 150+
Track Days - these are very popular road car on race track - brakes tyres and oil shot in one weekend.

In view of above Castrol Magnatec (US "Start UP")
is very popular because of esters also Castrol RS10W60 and M1 15W/50 and Silkolene as Castor Oil based.

Golf carts are generally electric, or two stroke/cycle engines. They have way different oiling systems than automobiles [permanently lubed bearings, splash, or oil in fuel]. The cart engines use ball, and needle bearings, not plain bearings supplied with pressurised oil.

Quote from the CAFE site:

" The penalty for failing to meet CAFE standards recently increased from $5.00 to $5.50 per tenth of a mile per gallon for each tenth under the target value times the total volume of those vehicles manufactured for a given model year. "

Ford and others have only met CAFE through using credits from flexible fuel vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back