Thick metal particles in oil

Hello, I’m new here so hopefully im typing on the right place. I bought a ML250-4. It has a 253FMM engine (Chinese). Today that I decided to change my oil it has thick metal particles in the oil. The engine was already broken in but somehow there are still metal particles on the oil. A guy was telling me that it’s metal particles from my flywheel but I’m worried it could be worst than that. The engine isn’t making any strange noises nor is the counter shaft wobbling. Has this ever happened to anyone in this group…
8EB39214-DBA1-4C0A-899F-B3F06BFCA336.jpeg
B5A5B01C-6BF1-4AFD-85DF-18D10787B79C.jpeg

That looks much worse than normal.

Can you cut the filter and take a look in there?

Is that aluminum or steel or what? that would indicate what parts are missing pieces. Gear teeth would be my first guess ...steel.

We'd often joke about debris that size having the part number still on it!

It would be worth some effort to see if you can determine where that came from. If it's magnetic, you might want to use a magnetic drain plug to keep the parts from circulation.

That engine has physical issues.

You said it was already broken in. Was it rebuilt? How many miles since the rebuild?
The engine isn’t brand new, it has a total of 10,000 km. It hasn’t been rebuilt yet but looks like I’ll have to soon.

It would be worth some effort to see if you can determine where that came from. If it's magnetic, you might want to use a magnetic drain plug to keep the parts from circulation.
It has a magnetic drain plug, the pieces I was holding were taken off the plug…

Attachments

• 99E2EB53-6EB4-408C-AB8D-1DEE35E15554.jpeg
    99E2EB53-6EB4-408C-AB8D-1DEE35E15554.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 38
Looks like maybe a ground up retaining clip or spring steel. Something came loose inside and got chewed up by the gears.

A couple of choices...1. Figure out what went wrong and fix it. 2. Sell it (with full disclosure to the buyer) and 3. Ride it until it stops.

Only you can determine if it is worth opening up the engine & transmission to fix it.

Looks like maybe a ground up retaining clip or spring steel. Something came loose inside and got chewed up by the gears.

A couple of choices...1. Figure out what went wrong and fix it. 2. Sell it (with full disclosure to the buyer) and 3. Ride it until it stops.

Only you can determine if it is worth opening up the engine & transmission to fix it.
I’d go with this thought, doesn’t look like upper engine such as oil rings.

Put some fresh oil in it and take it out for a spin. Come back and see if anything else is on the plug.

Took it to the company that sells those engines and the guy told me it’s one of the bearings that holds the transmission in place was chewed up. That ended up causing my gears to wear out..had to order a new transmission…🥲

Back