They're not using only Toyota trucks anymore...

Probably traded without the graphics removed, then stolen from the dealer. That's not good, though. Bad PR. Seems like there are cheaper ways to get a truck than stealing it from Texas and shipping it across the world.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
That truck wasn't traded in, it was stolen and went through Messico.
No, it was traded in. From the article:
Quote:
We had no intentions or no idea that this would even happen," said Jeff Oberholtzer, son of Mark-1's owner. He traded the truck in himself in November 2013 at an AutoNation Ford dealership about 20 miles away in Houston. The truck immediately went to auction and likely traded owners over and over before apparently winding up in the hands of a Chechen group named Jaish al-Muhajireen wal-Ansar, a dealership spokesman said.
And
Quote:
Oberholtzer said he's learned a valuable lesson in hindsight: Remove any company logos from vehicles before selling them; you don't know where they'll end up.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
...apparently militants are running around in a plumber's old Ford Super Duty from Texas: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/12/17/plumbing-truck-syria/20523873/ If you're a business and you're trading in your vehicle, why wouldn't you remove graphics or logos prior to the exchange?
Didn't want to scratch the paint and take a hit on trade in? Let the dealer remove logos on their dime and at their risk? In hindsight that risk seems neglible!

Still looks like it has a TX inspection/ registration sticker in the windscreen as well.

Not spending $3 on a can of paint cost him a whole lot of grief. Lesson learned. Small world that it can be shipped overseas and used for nefarious purposes.

Any advertising is good advertising. I bet the plumbing company's phone is ringing off the wall right now. I believe the bad guys will find servicing that Ford to be much more expensive that the Toyotas they have had in the past.

Truck was probably bought and shipped by some militant supporter in Texas, maybe even US citizen. Can't see any other reasonable scenario for shipping used pick up across the globe. Something to think about. Hope I'm wrong.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Truck was probably bought and shipped by some militant supporter in Texas, maybe even US citizen. Can't see any other reasonable scenario for shipping used pick up across the globe. Something to think about. Hope I'm wrong.
3 or 4 shipping containers of stolen cars were going to be sent to Africa from Toronto, but one got randomly inspected by customs and they tracked the others down. Who knows from there where they go? ISIS probably has a few guys surfing the web and buying equipment all the time too with a few fake companies to seem legit. I'm sure most sellers don't do a lot of investigation on who's buying their product.

Could be a hoax. Why would you blurb out the terrorist faces, and the phone number? Why not the company name? Also, looks like Texas scenery to me...

My cousin recently sold his Tahoe to some guy in Africa. Apparently they're highly desirable and will pay a fortune for one over there. I don't know the details or logistics of how he did it though.

Well Africa is big market for used cars, trucks, mobile phones, etc. The older, the better. I saw on TV some Africans buying old trucks in Europe. Russians did similar thing in the 90s when they were buying their Ladas back from Europe.

Originally Posted By: supton
Didn't want to scratch the paint and take a hit on trade in? Let the dealer remove logos on their dime and at their risk?
A heat gun and some sort of solvent like brake parts cleaner should remove that with no damage. Its the first thing we do when we decide to sell one of our old service trucks! Even before the plates are off.