They wrecked GasBuddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by PimTac
The Gas Buddy app uses geolocation which tracks you wherever you go. Gas Buddy in turn sells this information to others.

Not something I would use.

If you let it.

True, but if you don't let it it won't work, right?
I just find it easier in my case to use Kroger rewards and save that way.

Just input a zip or city.

My brother will travel many miles out of his way to save 37 cents on gas. I may not even cross the street depending on traffic to save that much.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Haven't used this site in a while. They used to operate under (region)gasprices.com but now I have to go to gasbuddy.com.

And they added a bunch of layers of crap to see prices. To see a map I have to install an extension in my browser. Nope!

Someone sold out and became a millionaire, I hope.

So what's the next good version of this?

Edit, for now I open google maps and search for "gas prices".

Try the browser extension. What's wrong with that?

Originally Posted by talest
Aren't these sites reliant upon user-updated information? If not updated every day, I would think they would display old prices.

I've checked it on occasion, but I find out when you really need it (like a price rise is ongoing), that's when the information is slow to update and/or simply wrong. If I need gas, I go and buy it. I just keep my eyes open a little bit as I'm driving to see if a jump or a drop is ongoing.

One of the many reasons I use iCab Mobile instead of Safari on my iPad is because iCab allows me to spoof desktop browsers on sites that are fooled by that simple change.

In my case, iCab tells GasBuddy i'm running a desktop version of Firefox, so I can save the page's URL for the last four hours of gas prices exclusively in Winnipeg. There is no way to do this with the iOS app. It displays prices in the last 24 hours, which is meaningless, and for the entire province, which is even more useless.

I haven't visited Gasbuddy since I found out they did away with the message forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back