They say platinum plugs last 90k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well then that explains everything! Maybe I'll wait until September and tune it up then. LOL

Autolite is indeed a replacement, but they are different than Motorcrafts. [I have no problem with Autolites, BTW.]
I've seen more than a bunch of plugs in my life.
For proof, look at the differences in the pictures Panda Bear posted.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
For proof, look at the differences in the pictures Panda Bear posted.

The outside looks identical other than some anodize differences in the shell and the color of the bands in the ceramic. They maybe build different but my pics definitely seems like Motorcraft is made by Autolite (maybe a different spec)

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Any tips on changing the plugs on the 3.0 Areostar? It is a job I'm not looking forward to, trust me.

The left side is not so bad. I think you can come in from the front and through the side. (Jack up the vehicle, put on stands, take the front wheels off) On the right side, you can come in from the side for #1 and #2.. On plug #3, (right, back) come in from the bottom side.
Get as many different sized extensions as you can get, including a wobble extension. Have both a spark plug socket and a deep 5/8 socket at your disposal.
Your first plug change will be the worst.
After that, you're an expert!
P.S. Make sure you are not needing the van for awhile in case it goes slower than you expect. Also, your arms will look like you got in a fight with a wild cat.

Boy, if that isn't the truth!

I agree with everything else he said too.

The ones on the driver's side are only a minor pain in the *** - I usually get a few scratches from the power steering pump and lines in the way! Not too unusual to leave a little "DNA" behind! :) I usually do those first

Like he said the first two on the passenger side aren't too bad if you take the wheel off. But the rear passenger side plug - all sorts of foul language comes to mind here. I even tried taking the engine cover off and that doesn't help at all!
I usually have a lot of trouble getting the spark plug wire loose on that cylinder too.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Well then that explains everything! Maybe I'll wait until September and tune it up then. LOL

Can't say I'd blame anyone for wanting to put off changing spark plugs on an Aerostar.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back