They put #%&#@ Valvoline Dino in my Buick Encore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
How do you KNOW it's VWB? If you saw them with VWB pouring it in, why didn't you have them stop right then?

This is a non-OMG moment. VWB will protect just fine.

Good point. This thread is hilarious. Leave the VWB in for 5k and dont lose sleep

OP has nothing to worry about. Those oil change prices are a bargain, and I would stick with Maxlife, but either oil in question will do just fine with a reasonable OCI. MY 05 Civic still had a healthy engine at 310k miles living on VWB when other repairs on the car overcame it's value. Two years after I sold it it's still on the road.

Originally Posted By: csandste
Car has 97,000 miles, bought it at 50K. Have used MaxLife since day one even though it's no longer Dexos 1. Paid for Maxlife and they'll switch it out when I return in six days for some A/C work. Doubt if less than a week is going to cook my engine.

My question is, I've had great luck with MaxLife--my car is out of warranty. The place I go to advertises Valvoline dino changes for $15, Max costs an additional $10 (plus various shop, disposal fees, etc.) I've already paid for the MaxLife so that's what's going in next week, but my hunch is VWB is nowhere near tough enough for normal change intervals on a GM 1.4 turbo. If the car had turbo and direct injection (the more powerful Encore), I wouldn't even be running MaxLife red.

I doubt if any damage will be done by next week, but since I'm running the VWB, is there anybody out there running it in a tough environment, i.e. small displacement turbos, etc? I did occasionally run VWB in a Kia Rio with direct injection without incident but my hunch is that turbo is too much for the oil.

And yes, I realize that all modern oils, including VWB, have small bits of syn in them.

How did you become aware that Maxlife was not used and VWB was used/

To summarize my earlier comments and respond to yours: Their receipt showed VWB. It's all bulk oil, I didn't see them put it in. I paid for MaxLife, I'm taking the car in next week for service and they'll put the MaxLife in for free when they fix my a/c. I know I'm doing no real harm in driving until that time and that I could drive for about three thousand miles with no trouble. I want to run my oci until about 6500-7000 miles which should be no problem with MaxLife.

The basic advertised $14.95 oil change is if you use their card (Autotire drive card issued by Citibank) and a coupon and comes with extra disposal charges and credits, to confuse things a bit. They used to rotate tires for that price although apparently they don't now.

Comments about Ford not specing a better oil for d.i. (which my car doesn't have) and turbos is interesting.

What I was really looking for was someone who regularly drove a small GM turbo (1.4 or 1.5) used VWB, or Quaker State Green, or dino Super Tech etc. Changed when the OLM told them to do it, and got a whole slew of trouble free miles on the odometer. That might make me rethink my use of MaxLife.

What I was really looking for was someone who regularly drove a small GM turbo (1.4 or 1.5) used VWB, or Quaker State Green, or dino Super Tech etc. Changed when the OLM told them to do it, and got a whole slew of trouble free miles on the odometer. That might make me rethink my use of MaxLife.

I regularly ran Pennzoil and Valvoline conventional in a 1.4T Cruze without any trouble, and usually changed the oil every 5K-7K miles. When I traded the car in, the engine still looked brand new under the valve cover when peering through the oil fill hole-not a hint of varnish.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
I would park the car immediately and change the oil on the side of the road.

hahahahahaha!

Their receipt showed VWB. I paid for MaxLife,

How did you pay for Maxlife if the receipt shows VWB? That would also throw off their accounting vs. inventory system.

Again, you won't have any issues running VWB. Guys like Dnewton have run 15k+ on dino oils without issue.

I can think of 100 other things to lose sleep over, and I certainly wouldn't be losing any sleep over this.

It's going to rain here this weekend. And we have yet another dealer rant thread-that isn't even justified........

Originally Posted By: W3DRK

I regularly ran Pennzoil and Valvoline conventional in a 1.4T Cruze without any trouble, and usually changed the oil every 5K-7K miles. When I traded the car in, the engine still looked brand new under the valve cover when peering through the oil fill hole-not a hint of varnish.

That's the information I was looking for. Someone using conventional oils n a small displacement GM turbo for a long period of time with no ill effect. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back