Thermoquiet or Wearever Platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks, I saw the post form Trav and Stephen9666 on the Bendix CT thread, very good information. but that mean I will have to wait til i see the pad, usually not possible. but from generally, how are wearever platinum? are they compareable to the thermoquiet? thanks

Beware the semi metallic version of the Platinum pads. They eat rotors on our fleet trucks in easy duty.

One thing worth noting is you cannot assume your car's pads are the same material as mine even if they have the exact same name. So comparing brands across platforms may not be relevant at all.

Good luck choosing, as pads are like ice cream, over one million flavors...

I've used both. I get a little bit more dusting from the Wearever Platinums (COO: India) but equal stopping power and longevity. No noise from either. While I like to see products from first world countries, I don't mind if they are made in India (to a lesser extent, China).

Personally, if I don't go Akebono I will go with Wagner or Wearever, whichever I can find a smoking (pun intended) deal on.

Originally Posted By: gogozy
Anyone has experience on both? i wonder how wearever platinum from Advanced vs Thermoquiet? and thinking of picking up a set for the 2009 mdx.

I actually removed the ThermoQuiets from my car and put on Wearever Plats. The WAGNER Thermoquits grey / silver paint just falls off and it looks horrible.. Unless you have hubcaps and cant see the brake pad.

However the Wearever create much more heat and DUST..... The Thermoquiets didnt create as much brake dust and were also not as HOT. Probably better braking compound. However the Wearever Plats do what the say.. They stop awesome and they make zero sound and are a very good brake pad.. I just wish they were made in USA.

However I got new rotors and the Wearver plats for a deal at AAP.
Also TOM PETYs Garage uses Wearever.. Look

Watch the video and see how much Tom Petty Personal Garage only uses Wearever and what they have to say about them and how they beat on the brakes in the video.

Last edited:
thanks to all the good reply. I guess I can try use the AAP online code for wearever platinum and try it out. another question, is brake dust a factor causing frozen pad? I know in my area, the rust from caliper and rotor or surrounding area cause rust buildup on the shims and so pad does not slide freely, does brake dust do the same thing?

I don't think that the ceramic dust from the pads will be an issue with rust. Ceramic dust is less harmful to aluminum wheels even if the dust is dark(er), it just less damaging!

I first tried ceramic pad to eliminate the noises that I was experiencing from other friction materials. THEN, what I found out was, the more I used and drove my cars, the more I found to like about the ceramic pads:

*Less harmful dusting
*Quiet regardless of Season(winter/summer)
*Good initial bite & even during multipal stops or when traveling through mountainous regions and stopping while traveling downhill
smile.gif

*Consistent braking feel throughout the drive whether it's short trips, long hauls or regardless of outside temps, snow, ice, rain.

I guess good semi-met's could perform the same way, I just haven't found it this way for my applications.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Beware the semi metallic version of the Platinum pads. They eat rotors on our fleet trucks in easy duty.

One thing worth noting is you cannot assume your car's pads are the same material as mine even if they have the exact same name. So comparing brands across platforms may not be relevant at all.

Good luck choosing, as pads are like ice cream, over one million flavors...

They have been phasing out semi-metallic part numbers and only offering ceramic for many models.

Wearever pads with "MKD" in the part number indicates semi-met. "NAD" indicates ceramic.

For example, on my truck they offered PNAD652 and PMKD652. Both Platinum line, but different materials. PMKD652 has since been discontinued and only PNAD652 is now offered.

They use the MKD/NAD designation for the other lines too. Gold line will have G as the first letter, silver does not have a letter in front (just MKD, NAD, and PAB for organic), and the cheapo line has an E in front.

For the ThermoQuiet line, QC indicates ceramic and MX indicates semi-met. Often both will be offered, but as with Wearever they are going with ceramic as the primary/only offering more and more.

I have used ThermoQuiet semi-met pads on my truck before, but I did not get good life out of them. Only 27K miles. I was towing all the time then though...like thousands and thousands of miles of towing. No issues with noise or excessive dust though.

I have never used Wearever Platinum, but I have only heard good things about them. When I worked for Advance, there were a couple shops that refused to use ThermoQuiets due to noise complaints and would only use the Platinum line. We just never had complaints about them, and the shops liked them because they didn't have comebacks. It's also a pretty complete kit with hardware and grease.

I think either choice is pretty good for most vehicles.

WearEver came out with the Platinum Ceramics awhile ago(within the last 2 years) but, just came out(in my area)with the Platinum seim-mets this year!

thanks to 01rangerxl and Char, these are great information. I will stick with ceramic pad. I used wearever and thermoquiet on the TSX before but didn't know there were different materials in same line, friction code, etc. I will get a set when i am going to US next month. another question, after servicing brake, would braking power be more "gradual"? I found my brake is not going to 80% 100% from nothing like before. the stopping is more gradual, it build as as i pressing the brake, still have enough power to stop. is this normal? I think I might have leave some brake lube on the rotor from dirty fingers,, shall I be concerned? thanks!

You guys are putting a lot of stock in the term "ceramic". It can mean anything from .01% to 100% ceramic. Iow, it could be a very real, functioning component in the system of ingredients that make up a brake pads friction material, or it could just be marketing. The pads in question will all work fine. More importantly, are your seals heat damaged or friction abraded? Have the caliper pins been checked for integrity, cleaned and regreased with a proper brake caliper lubricant? Do you have moisture in your brake fluid that might cause corrosion (rust) between the piston and the caliper bore? These considerations and more are of greater importance to how well your brakes work vs whether you have the best or the bestest pad out there.

Btw, I'm about to exercise my "lifetime" warranty at AAP for the Thermoquiets on my Suburban. They took a while to break in, but with their goofy "laser" sculpted pad, as they wore, the friction surface of the pad actually increased, as did their stopping power. Low dust, but their "built in" shims still need some caliper compound on the back to stay quiet.

Do some research, check the friction codes on the pad edge and maintain the rest of the brake system. You"ll be good to go.

[Quote-72te27]: You guys are putting a lot of stock in the term "ceramic". It can mean anything from .01% to 100% ceramic.

Probably! I have read similar articles or views on Ceramic Friction Materials. So, I have no argument there
laugh.gif

What I do know for myself and my personal applications it that, ceramic friction materials have allowed me to get rid of all of the things that I didn't like(various noises, inconsistent braking feel, faster rotor wear, etc.) compared to other friction materials that I was using prior. That's about it for me !
smile.gif

And too, I am not saying that every single previous type of friction material "Sucked" for me, just tooooo many of them, causing me grief!

Nor, am I saying that ceramic friction materials have absolute better braking or bite. Actually, Semi-Mets did for me! For my situation, ceramic friction materials(whatever %) just gives me more consistent braking feel for my liking under a wider variety of driving situations and climate/weather changes. I am more happy with my brakes now.

And I hear of less brake related issues from my wife & daughter...

laugh.gif

Last edited:
In addition to my above statement^^^

Of all the ceramic brake pads that I have used over the years, AKEBONO were the cleanest(lowest dust)
and Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic were the dirtiest(BLACKest Dust).

Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: gogozy
Anyone has experience on both? i wonder how wearever platinum from Advanced vs Thermoquiet? and thinking of picking up a set for the 2009 mdx.

I actually removed the ThermoQuiets from my car and put on Wearever Plats. The WAGNER Thermoquits grey / silver paint just falls off and it looks horrible.. Unless you have hubcaps and cant see the brake pad.

However the Wearever create much more heat and DUST..... The Thermoquiets didnt create as much brake dust and were also not as HOT. Probably better braking compound. However the Wearever Plats do what the say.. They stop awesome and they make zero sound and are a very good brake pad.. I just wish they were made in USA.

However I got new rotors and the Wearver plats for a deal at AAP.
Also TOM PETYs Garage uses Wearever.. Look

Watch the video and see how much Tom Petty Personal Garage only uses Wearever and what they have to say about them and how they beat on the brakes in the video.

That is not Tom Petty's garage, it is Richard Petty's garage.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
.....That is not Tom Petty's garage, it is Richard Petty's garage.

crackmeup2.gif
Close! Perhaps the heartbreakers use them too.

Put TQ's on a Tacoma when they had rebate in the last year. Working fine, very low dust good stopping power ime. Never tried the Wearever pads. Using Wearever rotors though, same vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back