There’s a new form of keyless car theft that works in under 2 minutes

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
A much more higher tech method of stealing late model vehicles.

"When a London man discovered the front left-side bumper of his Toyota RAV4 torn off and the headlight partially dismantled not once but twice in three months last year, he suspected the acts were senseless vandalism. When the vehicle went missing a few days after the second incident, and a neighbor found their Toyota Land Cruiser gone shortly afterward, he discovered they were part of a new and sophisticated technique for performing keyless thefts."

When I bought our car one of the first things I bought was a faraday bag. The fobs are stored in that. The car is parked right next to the home so the distance between car and fobs is short.

The bags are inexpensive. $10-15 on Amazon.

When I bought our car one of the first things I bought was a faraday bag. The fobs are stored in that. The car is parked right next to the home so the distance between car and fobs is short.

The bags are inexpensive. $10-15 on Amazon.
I need to convince my wife to use one.

I leave the key fob to the wife's car at home--and drive a car whose key cost $1.50. Its theft deterrent is... it's that old that a $1.50 key would work.

Reactions: D60
I leave the key fob to the wife's car at home--and drive a car whose key cost $1.50. Its theft deterrent is... it's that old that a $1.50 key would work.
The 97 Accord has been the most stolen car for like 15 years because it's before chip keys and its parts are so interchangeable. I think Kia took over that title recently though.

Dang, that sucks. This, combined with other weird stuff has caused me to rethink things’. Sometimes I wish I had purchased a late 60s early 70s car, and just revamp the suspension and seats. Of course, now that I’m old, I would likely be disappointed with the inherent issues of an older vintage car. In fact, they’re likely easier to steal anyway. I’m blessed to have a garage and I’m fairly strategic where I park my car. When all else fails I simply cross my fingers 🤞and carry more ammo.

Dang, that sucks. This, combined with other weird stuff has caused me to rethink things’. Sometimes I wish I had purchased a late 60s early 70s car, and just revamp the suspension and seats. Of course, now that I’m old, I would likely be disappointed with the inherent issues of an older vintage car. In fact, they’re likely easier to steal anyway. I’m blessed to have a garage and I’m fairly strategic where I park my car. When all else fails I simply cross my fingers 🤞and carry more ammo.
I used to daily an '88 Ranger. 2wd, total beater. Super slow w 2.3 but with a 5 speed manual will never die.

I tired of Ford's 2-key system and just yanked all the "wafers" from the ignition cylinder. I had a door key so security was locking the doors.

But if someone wanted to slim Jim the door, could drive a manual, figured to try starting it with no key inserted and REALLY wanted an ugly '88 Ranger....I guess I would have been screwed (shrug)

one of my great grandparents had a trashy jeep Cherokee, the keys wouldn't come out of the ignition so they just left the doors unlocked and the key in it. i don't think it ever got stolen

I remember early 1980's Toyota Hilux; you raise the door handle and the rod for the door lock button would be exposed. A pencil with an eraser against the rod, push up and you're in.

I would leave the Gremlin parked with the windows down and keys inside all the time, nobody cared at all.
One of the best cars I ever had.
Thats a riot! But while I was LMAO I realized I have magazines full of articles and photos of guys who loved all things
AMC and hot rodded the Gremlins all across the USA on drag strips! :love:

Back