There oughta be a law.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you ask a call center where they are located they must tell you (the truth).

I had a nightmare (1.5 hours Paypal [censored]) last night and one of the chickees sounded really cute, but she would not tell me what country she was in. She did not sound Indian in the least. Taiwan or Chinese. Fairly perfect but stilted/inflected perfect Engrish.

You mean you don't love it when Apu from the Simpons answers the phone when you call for tech support for your computer?

Asian women,YUM!!!!!
11.gif
10.gif

I AGREE!
thumbsup2.gif

I had a "issue" with Vonage and spoke for 30 mins to a gal in their customer satisfaction center. She told me many times in real good English that she would get a hold of a tech but she was not sure if they were still on duty (she referred to her time as Pacific time (one hour behind Mountain time).

So I'm thinking she is in CA, WA or OR.. I said there should be someone 24/7 in technical support so can I talk to her Supervisor to complain and the person comes on not speaking any English I've ever heard.
smirk2.gif
Find out that there IS 24/7 tech and the call center that I've been speaking to for 30 minutes is the Philippines.

They may sound like they are here but even with perfect English skills they don't understand what someone is asking them....

How did I find out there WAS a 24/7 tech? Called back about 30 mins later to ask another question and someone in NJ told me so.

Got the "issue" fixed 10 mins later.

SO I wasted 30 minutes with my first call....

Another rant... Anyone drive up to a fast food and the person who takes your order is in another COUNTRY!

Whats up with that! Everyone KNOWS that drive up speakers have the BEST quality speakers to understand someone who does not speak English...
06.gif

And it is cheaper to take someones order 5000 miles away, type it up and send it back 5000 miles to a place 50 feet away???

And how hard is it to understand... "#1 with a coke. That's all??"

I don't get it...

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Another rant... Anyone drive up to a fast food and the person who takes your order is in another COUNTRY!

Whats up with that! Everyone KNOWS that drive up speakers have the BEST quality speakers to understand someone who does not speak English...
06.gif

And it is cheaper to take someones order 5000 miles away, type it up and send it back 5000 miles to a place 50 feet away???

I don't get it...

I haven't heard of that, do you have a location? anyplace I've gone to has the person at the 1st window taking your order.
for that matter, you should be able to text msg your order in and pick it up at a window, no people involved at all!
at my company, the network is in Mexico; I don't get it, we only have 2 locations, that one and here! how much money is really saved by having the network based south of the border?!?

I like taking to Jason, who obviously has a heavy south central Asian accent. I then ask if the would like to continue in Hindi, which I don't speak.

The drive-through window thing actually was studied to help throughput and accuracy. You tell the person, the person keys it, it comes up on the screen inside and because the person is sitting in a headset with no distractions and a job of simply entering the orders as they arrive, it's supposed to work better.

The first franchisee to do it (they owned 30+ locations) figured they saved 12 seconds an order after their trial run.

Originally Posted By: mpvue

06.gif

I don't get it...

I haven't heard of that, do you have a location? anyplace I've gone to has the person at the 1st window taking your order.
for that matter, you should be able to text msg your order in and pick it up at a window, no people involved at all!
at my company, the network is in Mexico; I don't get it, we only have 2 locations, that one and here! how much money is really saved by having the network based south of the border?!?

It was in WY.

Here is a article on the system. McDonalds order system

(I guess they are in the US?? but the one I used was NOT very well versed in English like the article says...)

I still think it was out of the USA...

I'm not into texting using a cell phone. A cell phone is for TALKING
LOL.gif
(once you get older, little things are harder to use
grin2.gif
)

But I do like the idea of having a touch screen or buttons to order!

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I like taking to Jason, who obviously has a heavy south central Asian accent. I then ask if the would like to continue in Hindi, which I don't speak.
crackmeup2.gif

yeah it's a mixed bag. I prefer well spoken Americans that speak english.

crackmeup2.gif

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I hate when you get the obvious Indian call center and, with a heavy Indian accent: "hello, this is John Smith, how can I help you"

Yea, sure "John", I'm Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, fix my dam Dell computer!

Last edited:

Absolutely yes.

Part of it is the nature of retail. If you have 30 locations, and 30 order takers, at any one time some are busy, and some are killing time. Later, different ones are busy. So you centralize order taking, it smooths things out. I an 8 hour shift, one person can serve the peak 2 hours in 4 time zones.

The sad thing is that in many areas, the person 5000 miles away taking the order can be understood BETTER than some of the kids and adults working a McJob here.

Drive Thru: Can I helps you?
Me: #3, no pickles with lemonade.
Drive Thru: Yo! You wants ta supersize dat?
Me: No, thank you.
Drive Thru: Dats foah fiddy five at da first window.

FWIW, yesterday the folks at Blue Rhino were right here in the US. North Carolina, and there was no faking that accent.

PS, my dialog above is not racist. The person in the drive thru may be a suburban gang-banger wanna be, living the dream at his McJob.

Quote:
it smooths things out. I an 8 hour shift, one person can serve the peak 2 hours in 4 time zones.

Slightly
32.gif

There has to be some point where this quest for ultra productivity is going to implode. It doesn't equate to "easier". It just requires whipping less mules.

Slightly
32.gif

There has to be some point where this quest for ultra productivity is going to implode. It doesn't equate to "easier". It just requires whipping less mules.

Why don't they just get rid of the staff that takes order and let you use a vending machine type entry system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back