There goes my Samsung - Darn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by StevieC
I really like the Vizio PQ 65. I had a look at it at Costco in person just now.... (Perks of the job on the road).

All the reviews I've read about it are really good. I've been researching a bit lately because I'm looking to move the older 58" Vizio we have now to the bedroom and replace it with something larger. The PQ 65 is really nice but I'd like something at least 75". The quantum dots are supposed to be moving to a lot more sets in the Vizio lineup this year.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-quantum

3 years old and I fired up the 4K Samsung tonight and now I have a big purple spot similar to this.
mad.gif

Apparently it's a big problem among many models of Samsung panels and they aren't doing anything about it.
Lots of folks complaining online about it.

Think I will pick another brand for my next TV until they figure this out. Was super happy with Samsung in the past with my other models I have owned / still have.

I would bet there is a TSB on that issue.

Originally Posted by Danno
In the 4 years since I bought my 75" Samsung 1080p, the following have become specs to have -
- HDR 10
- local dimming

The Samsung still works great, but the 85" Sony 900F is sure tempting.

For what its worth, we went from a 1080P Samsung to the 65" x900F Nov/Dec 2018
and ...
Simply stunning picture quality. Honestly I thought the 58" Samsung 1080P was so good that I didnt feel we would see much difference except for the increase of screen size, well, all I can say is I dont see how an image could get any better with the Sony.

Sony does upscaling very well with OTA signals too. Though we are used to it now, for the first few weeks, much program material, (OTA, BluRay, BluRay 4k, streaming 4k) depending on source, looked almost so lifelike 3D it was a bit eery at first!
The biggest surprise was how it upscaled some OTA (780 & 1080) OTA signals to lifelike 3D ish quality. IN fact, it looks just as good if not better then streaming 4K sources, as the 4k so compressed from Netflex and Amazon.

and the Local dimming HDR ... wow! I think this is the key, the dynamic range of the picture (light to pitch black) is what surprised us the most.

Now, I just hope this Sony proves reliable, decades ago I had a rear projection Sony, it was not reliable and never bought another, here we are decades later and we are giving them a second chance but I think Sony has their act together again and stands out from the crowd in the mid to upper class of TVs once again. (so far)

Anyway, for those not to tight of a budget looking in the midprice range without question I recommend checking out the Sony 65" x900F.
One thing we did different then most people is completely IGNORE hooking up the TV WiFi set up.

I MUCH prefer having control over my TV (any brand not just Sony) so we stream through a 4K Roku Player, OTA through the TV through a Channel Master, DVD through a 4K Sony player. When first starting up the TV we ignored setting up it built in WIFI operating system.
I do on occasion connect it soly to check for any firmware updates when I first got it. Then disconnect right away.

Some TVs (maybe more so with cheaper ones) are nothing more then bloatware which ruins the experience (as far as I am concerned) and becomes an extended source of income for the TV manufacturer that I just paid good money for.
So I look at the TV as a monitor, I decide what it can deliver.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
3 years old and I fired up the 4K Samsung tonight and now I have a big purple spot similar to this.
mad.gif

Apparently it's a big problem among many models of Samsung panels and they aren't doing anything about it.

Think I will pick another brand for my next TV until they figure this out. Was super happy with Samsung in the past with my other models I have owned / still have.

Here is the Model# UN48JU6500F XZC in case you can find it.

Called Samsung Canada this morning about it. Can't help me but offered to repair it at a minimum of $400 and that is if I walk it in locally to their repair center about 50km from where I am. I paid $999 on sale so I can't justify a repair of $400 if that's all it would take and not cost more than that.

Last edited:
That sucks for sure.

On the other hand, I can't get my 13yr/old Dynex ~42" LCD to die! It was is/was a cheap Best Buy house brand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
That sucks for sure.

On the other hand, I can't get my 13yr/old Dynex ~42" LCD to die! It was is/was a cheap Best Buy house brand.

My parents had a similar size Dynex in the RV and it wouldn't die. It spent many winters and hot summers in the RV while it was parked too.

I have the Vizio. It's a E series 50" and works though it's only 18 months old. I'm not sure about your model but if you need a tuner inquire first. Mine doesn't have a tuner so if I go antenna tv I'll have to buy the external tuner as well. Since I am streaming only it's not a concern.

VIZIO XVT553SV 55-Inch Class Full Array TruLED with Smart Dimming LCD HDTV SPS with VIZIO Internet Apps (2010 Model) still going today with no issues.

I am not impressed with Samsung quality at all with any of their electronics.

Originally Posted by Lubener
mad.gif

Here is the Model# UN48JU6500F XZC in case you can find it.

Called Samsung Canada this morning about it. Can't help me but offered to repair it at a minimum of $400 and that is if I walk it in locally to their repair center about 50km from where I am. I paid $999 on sale so I can't justify a repair of $400 if that's all it would take and not cost more than that.

crackmeup2.gif
400$?! You could buy another 55-inch TV for that price!

I know it's an anecdote, but after my 48" Hitachi went out after 15 months, I bought a Vizio at Sam's Club. Same sort of deal, more warranty with the Sam's Club MasterCard...

It's been a pretty good set. I just don't care for the WiFi remote with IR being an afterthought option. About half the time, my Harmony remote doesn't get the TV (on or off) in the sequence when starting up our system (receiver, DVR or BlueRay and TV) as while it has an IR receiver, it prefers the WiFi remote it shipped with.

No big deal turning it off, as it will auto-power-off after 5 minutes of no input. But it's a first world annoyance when turning on the system.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Semi off topic but here goes -

Costco offers a 2 year warranty on all sets. 2 more if you pay with their credit card. Many times they'll include a 3 year square trade warranty at no charge - they stack for a total of 7 years.

Vizio makes a quality set as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back