There goes my Samsung - Darn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 years old and I fired up the 4K Samsung tonight and now I have a big purple spot similar to this.
mad.gif

Apparently it's a big problem among many models of Samsung panels and they aren't doing anything about it.
Lots of folks complaining online about it.

Think I will pick another brand for my next TV until they figure this out. Was super happy with Samsung in the past with my other models I have owned / still have.

20180815_003619.jpg

Last edited:
Can you post a picture of your TV? What does it look like with an image on the screen?

I am afraid their quality has been lacking in recent years. We have both a Samsung and LG, I prefer the LG.

Semi off topic but here goes -

Costco offers a 2 year warranty on all sets. 2 more if you pay with their credit card. Many times they'll include a 3 year square trade warranty at no charge - they stack for a total of 7 years.

Vizio makes a quality set as well.

Originally Posted by gregk24
I am afraid their quality has been lacking in recent years. We have both a Samsung and LG, I prefer the LG.

I have one. It was really, really, cheap at Walmart. We will see how long it lasts.

You can spend more on a T.V. Much more.........

Last edited:
I hope my Samsung doesn't do that...

The Samsung is a replacement for a Vizio that only lasted 2 years and 9 months before the backlight started failing. Common problem on their older E series TV.

Midrange Sony such as a X900F

Just kind of kidding.
It doesnt matter what the brand is, all electronics will have a certain percentage of failures and there is no way to know the exact failure rate of any brand from what you "read".

Consumer reports is the closest you will get to any factual information on failure rates and even then, its "luck" if you will the small proportion of an owner with a failed unit. But with Consumer reports you may see a "trend" and even then who knows ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
3 years old and I fired up the 4K Samsung tonight and now I have a big purple spot similar to this.
mad.gif

Apparently it's a big problem among many models of Samsung panels and they aren't doing anything about it.
Lots of folks complaining online about it.

Think I will pick another brand for my next TV until they figure this out. Was super happy with Samsung in the past with my other models I have owned / still have.

Look up Tampatech on youtube, he walks through many TV repairs and gives a place to buy parts. Not sure if he has covered this yet, but I have used his videos to troubleshoot and repair in the past!

That's unfortunate. I've had my Samsung for 4+ years now without issue *knock on wood* and will probably get another when this one lets go. In my opinion, it's got a better picture than my previous Vizio or LG.

My brother's Samsung did the same thing. I took it apart and the board was fried in the same area that a lot of videos on Youtube said it would be. A new board was unavailable and shopping for used boards looked to be about $60.
Meanwhile, my 10-year old Vizio keeps working just fine.
I'd stay away from Samsung unless you got some super great extended warranty.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Go TCL for the replacement. Love mine.

A lot cheaper and usually similar life span, picture quality maybe not be as good as Top end brands though.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Can you post a picture of your TV? What does it look like with an image on the screen?

The reason I posted the image above is I had a hard time capturing it with my phone. You have to catch it on a white screen and I tried taking a picture from different angles and can't get as good of a shot as the picture above.

All my other Samsungs I have owned and still own are fine, it's just this one but after reading about it online it appears to affect a number of models and I don't want to get stuck with this problem again so most likely I will pick another brand. I really like the Vizio 65" QLED I was looking at on Costco last night. It was on sale as well.

I also looked at the Sony's and the TCL but I liked the refresh rate better on the Vizio for a lower price tag.

Not sure... Might just put up with this until it gets much worse and I can't stand to watch TV on it any longer and that way I'm that much further ahead in the models / technology and I get more than just 3 years out of it.

It's more of an irritation rather than a need for replacement because the picture is fine it just has more of a Purplish hue in the one spot.
frown.gif

Last edited:
My monthly cable bill cost what I paid for my samsung TV. So three years? cost per month not bad. About the same as the cable modem rental fee. I have to figure out if I can hack into the service menu and turn on the BT feature so i can try some BT headphones instead of using analogue Sennheiser wireless plugged into my cable box. If I had an $800- tv and it died after 3 years I wouldnt be so happy. thats for sure.

In the 4 years since I bought my 75" Samsung 1080p, the following have become specs to have -
- HDR 10
- local dimming

The Samsung still works great, but the 85" Sony 900F is sure tempting.

I really like the Vizio PQ 65. I had a look at it at Costco in person just now.... (Perks of the job on the road).

Originally Posted by StevieC
I really like the Vizio PQ 65. I had a look at it at Costco in person just now.... (Perks of the job on the road).

I almost bought the same Vizio, until I looked on the back and it does not have a 3.5 headphone imput jack.

That's a deal killer for me. Every once in a while I like to watch things using the headphones and my 16' extension for it. Now I've decided on the Sony 65" X850 at Best Buy for $999

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back