The YOKOHAMA Avid T4's rock!! (for a family car tire that is)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been driving over a week on them and I say they are the best tires we have had on the Volvo 850. They grip well, wet or dry. They ride well, and aren't excessively noisy. Recommended.

have they been updated recently? We've been really happy with the H4s/v4s line of tires, but when I was looking for some T/H rated tires for my mercedes, the H4 and T4 hadnt gotten that great of reviews.

I might have to look into them again for other cars we own that use sizes that the T4 fits.

JMH

I fully agree! I have had a set on my 240 now for about a year, and I think they are the best tire I have ever run. Smooth on the highway and grips well on the curves. I always thought Japaneze tires were "hard," but not the Yoko AVID's. I had run Yoko's before, but the new AVID's (maybe called "H-2"?) are a second generation Yoko and really a very good tire.

I'm a new member of BITOG. I need new tires for my 95 Maxima SE, 5-speed, in about 5 or 6K. So far its a toss-up between Yokohama Avid H4S and BF Goodrich Traction TA (H-rated). Both are rated at 60K. Based on the tirerack.com reviews I've seen the Avid H4S outperform the BFG in the area of road noise and comfort, whereas the BFG outperform in handling and traction in all weather conditions. Since my car is a 5-speed with a sport suspension, I am leaning towards the BFG but the Yokohamas are 4lb./tire lighter and would provide less unsprung weight and perhaps better fuel economy.

Any thoughts on this?

bobo - what kind of tires were you running before, and now?

I honestly think the difference in grip between Avid and TA will be minimal with the edge even going to the AVID's. I have run TA's on my other Volvo and other than wearing down really quick, there was nothing exceptional about this tire and the traction didn't amaze me, either.

My 95 Maxima has only 59K, mostly highway miles on it. I'v owned it since day 1 and still have the OEM Goodyear Eagle RSAs on it (215-60R15).

The RSAs are slammed continuously from what I've read elsewhere but they do wear like iron. We get a fair amount of rain in Vancouver as you are aware, but just like you very little in the way of snow (probably a little less as I'm almost on the ocean) and ice isn't a problem.

I don't drive the car much in the winter and its seldom seen snow in almost 11 years.

I've never particularly noticed road noise from the RSAs but both the above options are supposed to be quieter and have a more comfortable ride. Also the RSAs are supposed to be lousy in rain but I've always coped.

bobo,

You might consider the V rated Yokohama Avid or the BFG Traction TA.

The old BFG Comp TA VR4 (pre Michelin ownership)was a great tire; the new BFG G Force KDWS is a loud rough riding tire.

I am not sure about the Traction TA; I believe it is the replacement for the Comp TA.

The Yokos look like a good deal for the $$. I am considering a Yoko tire for my 2k Maxima.

I still have the stock suspension on my Maxima, am running the OEM 15" sawblades and am restricted to tire size as a result. There are a lot of tires that don't fit my 15" wheel, eg. Pirell P-zero nero, Toyo Proxes 4 & TS-1, Avon etc. etc.

The monthly tirerack survey was e-mailed to me today and the high-performance all-season tires in my size at the top of the list were: 1 Yokohama Avid V4S, 2 BF Goodrich Traction TA (H),
and 3 Yokohama Avid H4S. The V4S are not available in my size. Where I'm from the price of the Yokohama Avid H4S and BF Goodrich Traction TAs are virtually the same.

So you see where I'm coming from. I'm restricted by wheel size, but want to keep with the lighter weight wheels and I don't mind the 4x4 look. Since ice and snow aren't a consideration, I am leaning towards the Yokos. They handle better than my RSAs and will be quieter, so its a win-win situation. I have added a front strut tower brace to the car and am contemplating a rear sway bar after I buy the tires, but won't be pushing the envelope on the car as I'm not into AutoX or anything like that. I just want my car to handle well and not be excessively noisy and I am a bit concerned about fuel economy with the Traction TAs.

Sorry to have written an epistle.

Outch, tyres cost an arm and a leg in Canada, eh? I once got a quote for Toyo T1-S that was 2x that of U.S. street prices, PLUS 15% tax!

But, if you can afford it, and if it is available in your size, check out these top-rated all-season tyres: Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S.

I don't recommend directional tyres anymore, they are just too noisy beyond half life (saw-toothing), and you will wish you could just dump them. Rotating non-directional tyres every 5-10k miles with Forward-X pattern is the best to squeeze more life and quietness out of your high-performance tires.

You can play with tire size slightly (with minimal change to your grear ratios) if you cannot find the size you want. Try this Calculator

I don't run all season anymore, I've had Michelin Arctic Alpin and Dunlop DS1 snow tyres, and Toyo Proxes T1-S, Kumho ECSTA MX, and Avon Tech M500 high-performance 3-season tyres.

bobo,

I believe the stock tire size on your 15" wheels is 205/65 R15 in the States (Brother has a 96 Maxima) It is good to known that there is no problem with 215/60 slightly oversized.

The rear sway bar is the best thing for Max and its horrible solid rear axle.

My Maxima is an SE and the OEM tires are 215-60R15. The 205s came stock on the GLE and GXE. I also have the stock sport-tuned suspension which is stiffer than either the GLE or GXE. I've been holding off on getting the RSB until I get new tires as I wouldn't be able to take advantage of it in the meantime and may be tempted to try and run the risk of breaking the a$$ end of the car loose.

You won't regret that RSB, do it ASAP. It helped my buddy's 99 Max out significantly, and he swears its the best bang for the buck mod on the car (and he's also got a full Tokico suspension, among other things...)

My vote is for the Yoko Avids. I LOVE these tires. I have the Touring version on my girlfriends car, and my dad's car just got a set of T4's. They are fantastic to drive, quiet, and wear has been excellent.

I agree. Had them on my Protege a few years back and I was delighted with the performance and value.

I bought 4 Yokohama Avid H4S tires two weeks ago at blowout prices. I got them for C$80 each versus regular C$147, plus mounting and applicable taxes. Once the inventory is depleted for my oddball size they are going back up to C$147.

I'm impressed with how quiet they are and they seem to hold the road well in the rain. I haven't had much of a chance to try them out in the twisties other than on an off ramp.

My Goodyear Eagle RSAs sadly were removed at 61,004 miles and would have lasted another 5K if we were going into the spring/summer rather than the fall/winter. My 95 Maxima has seen mostly highway miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back