The worst UOA in BITOG history!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: saaber1
4.5 months to get results???? What lab did you use. With service like that I wonder if it is even the right sample tested.?

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Lubetrak did the report.

From above

What oil was in the sump according to the OCI sticker on the windshield???

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
It's a 302, they will handle a LOT of abuse.

Yes they do. My brother's old 92' F150 had that motor. He got it with 200K and didn't change the oil or filter the whole time he had it, 52K miles! When it started knocking, he added a quart of oil. Somehow that truck ran great and never let him down. He sold it for 2800.00 back in 99'. He regretted selling it when his 87' Firebird quickly became the worst car he has ever owned
wink.gif

I was young at the time, but even I miss that pickup. He went through tires like crazy too because he "jumped" the truck on this backroad hill all of the time.

Anyways.......... yes the 302's are awesome!

Originally Posted By: GMFan
What oil was in the sump according to the OCI sticker on the windshield???

the sticker was too faded. I could barely make out the "06" year. the oil was black as night.

Quote:
Also you wrote TBN div>

Considering the condition of the vehicle, time/miles on the oil, and all the other numbers in the analysis, any positive TBN is impressive!!

Side note - I wonder why parents think they're doing their kids good by babying them. When I was 18, living at home and on Dad's insurance, any accident and I'd have been walking till I was out on my own!!

Additional Notes: Piston, cylinder, and bearing wear indicated. moderate level of nitration products detected. Low TBN indicates low alkaline reserve left in the oil. Viscosity higher than typical for the given oil, type, moderate level of oxidation and nitration products detected. Suspect high operating temperature and or over extended drain interval. Resample at 1/2 normal interval to further monitor, check for oil pressure drop and abnormal noise. Advise use of additional diagnositc tools to dertermine course or corrective action

Lubetrak said: "Major bearing wear…………would check air cleaner, hoses"

I found out today that the check engine light came on in this vehicle for the past month. My nephew said he went to autozone and one of the oxygen sensors is bad.

While bearing wear can be the result of a leak in the "air cleaner," the very low Si levels indicate otherwise. As far as this analysis is concerned you do NOT have an intake leak. The bearing wear is due either to sludge build up in the oil passages or metal expansion and contact due to engine overheat.

just changed the air filter in this vehicle. it was bad, the filter had caked on black dirt. no joke. the coolant reservoir and radiator was empty again. there was black residue at the bottom of the coolant tank.
frown.gif

Any chance that the coolant did leak into the engine/oil, and it was just in there for so long that it was cooked out of the engine?

If that's not the case, there must be some kind of external leak. You may have to do another UOA on a shorter interval to see if coolant is getting in the engine (if you actually care).

classic...just leave in oil and top it off here and there and yet it runs

Pics speak a thousand words. these came off of my cell phone when I visited last month. finally figured out how to transfer them from my micro flash card to my Sansdisk adapater then to my digital camera then through the USB on my computer, then post them onto photobucket.
thankyou2.gif

airfilter.jpg

radiatorcap.jpg

radiator.jpg

reservoir.jpg

So you guys still think that I wasted my time checking his air filter since the silicon in this UOA was only "6"???
grin2.gif

their was no antifreeze in the UOA, everything is fine right? check out the empty coolant reservoir photo, radiator cap, radiator spout, and caked on dirt of that air filter.

Don't these photos back up the "worst UOA ever"?
wink.gif

Yes, I did change his air filter, and top of his antifreeze (2nd time in 5 months)

Last edited:
Dude....call in Darwin on this fellah! Sorry but we will only contaminate the junkyards of tomorrow if we do not make these folks learn from their mistakes today :). Nice save on this one Cutehumor!

Overkill has it right - not much kills a 302. It's got a while longer on it...whether that's good for the general public, I don't know.....

Flush the coolant, change the oil, then drive the snot out of it
grin2.gif

Gotta love 302's.

302's are awesome! My brother owned a 92' F150 w/ this motor. He sold it with 252K miles, running good. While 252K might not seem like much, he didn't change the oil the whole time he had it, 52K miles
crazy2.gif
Mostly stop and go driving. He just added a quart when it started knocking. Like I said, ran fine when he sold it, insane!

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Flush the coolant, change the oil, then drive the snot out of it
grin2.gif

Gotta love 302's.

302's are awesome! My brother owned a 92' F150 w/ this motor. He sold it with 252K miles, running good. While 252K might not seem like much, he didn't change the oil the whole time he had it, 52K miles
crazy2.gif
Mostly stop and go driving. He just added a quart when it started knocking. Like I said, ran fine when he sold it, insane!

A good friend of mine has a '92 (Mustang) LX notch. Engine had 300,000Km on it, lived through 2,000+ bottles of Nitrous, and then 525RWHP from a supercharger. Stock bottom-end. Ended up putting 13L of coolant through it when an intake gasket let go, so he put new bearings (and a used piston from another 302) in it, slapped it back together and is still driving it. Runs like a clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back