The Worst Muscle Cars Made. The Pinto was a M.C.?

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
My friend told me about his uncle who ran his bone stock '65 El Camino 283 4 speed at Fremont Drag Strip. It turned mid 12's...

That sounds highly suspect. 283 cars were slow and that engine was 195HP SAE GROSS, which means NET it was like 135-150HP. The only way that car was running 12's was with a 10 second car pushing it. I watched a legit 426 HEMI Charger run much, MUCH slower than that (high 13's IIRC) bone stock.

My '87 Mustang making ~320HP NET (270 to the tires) pig rich on the dyno ran 106Mph and a bottom 13 when I broke the transmission. That was a car capable of a 12-second timeslip and had probably 150HP on that 283. Similarly, my E39 M5 was a mid to high 12-second car and conservatively rated at around 400HP (NET). My Jeep makes 475HP and would have a hard time getting into the 12's just due to weight.

Bone stock that 225HP Mustang was a bottom 14's car and it was an over-performer, consistently lapping at 100Mph traps. No gears, underdrives, e-fan and an aluminum DS got it into the high 13's at 101.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
My friend told me about his uncle who ran his bone stock '65 El Camino 283 4 speed at Fremont Drag Strip. It turned mid 12's...

That sounds highly suspect. 283 cars were slow and that engine was 195HP SAE GROSS, which means NET it was like 135-150HP. The only way that car was running 12's was with a 10 second car pushing it. I watched a legit 426 HEMI Charger run much, MUCH slower than that (high 13's IIRC) bone stock.

My '87 Mustang making ~320HP NET (270 to the tires) pig rich on the dyno ran 106Mph and a bottom 13 when I broke the transmission. That was a car capable of a 12-second timeslip and had probably 150HP on that 283. Similarly, my E39 M5 was a mid to high 12-second car and conservatively rated at around 400HP (NET). My Jeep makes 475HP and would have a hard time getting into the 12's just due to weight.

Bone stock that 225HP Mustang was a bottom 14's car and it was an over-performer, consistently lapping at 100Mph traps. No gears, underdrives, e-fan and an aluminum DS got it into the high 13's at 101.

OVERKILL, this was a joke. Beck in the day, everyone told a similar, ridiculous story. All good.

Last edited:
OVERKILL, this was a joke. Beck in the day, everyone told a similar, ridiculous story. All good.

[censored] it man, you should have used a smiley,
lol.gif
I thought you were being serious. And yes, that still goes on. When I was into racing it seemed the guy with the "fastest car" was the one who never managed to make it to the track
wink.gif

Back