The Worst Automotive Fads To Hit The Streets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
These weren't in the list but I find them to be utterly ridiculous! Crooked license plates (I'd think that would be illegal),and those stupid ice chest brand and underwear brand decals. I guess I just don't get it?

I haven't seen a crooked plate in a while, I think that was mostly a 90s mini truck and lowrider thing.

The brand stickers are funny. Cooler flex bruh, no Igloo in this Tacoma/Wrangler/rubber band mud tire domestic truck.

Originally Posted by wag123
Add "swangers" to the list. They are all the rage around here now. They look ridiculous.

[Linked Image]

And, then there are these...

[Linked Image]

Anybody who does this to a Challenger should be shot!

Man those James Bond wheel spikes I'd think would be illegal. And that Challenger,is it 4WD? Looks like it's made to go mudding in!
19.gif

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I didn't peep at the link, but

- Displaying your (now outdated) Garmin prominently with a windshield suction cup mount. You have Arrived Tech !

What's outdated about that? Not all cars have navigation and even if they did and you drive rentals or many different cars, it's a pain to learn and program a new system to your settings and destinations.

Just set it on the seat and follow voice commands.

You cant drive and look and look at the thing.

But I was poking fun of the " I got new tech" flashy crowd - lIke a fitbit or a new Iphone.

Lost and moronic sheeple.

I you need it to get to where you are going - Im all for it,.

I'm out in the sticks and I don't go anywhere.

If I do, I try to read and memorize a google map the night before.

- Displaying your (now outdated) Garmin prominently with a windshield suction cup mount. You have Arrived Tech !

What's outdated about that? Not all cars have navigation and even if they did and you drive rentals or many different cars, it's a pain to learn and program a new system to your settings and destinations.

I look at the screen to see roads, exits, intersections and traffic changes coming up before voice commands tell me what to do. Placing it on the seat would be dangerous and take your eyes off the road.

Blacked out or tinted rear tail lights are the most idiotic thing I've seen people do. Why would you make it even harder for someone behind you to see if you're braking? Are you asking to be rear ended?

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Blacked out or tinted rear tail lights are the most idiotic thing I've seen people do. Why would you make it even harder for someone behind you to see if you're braking? Are you asking to be rear ended?

It's even worse when people do that to motorcycles.

One thing I didn't see on the list but I don't like and fortunately seems to be a long-gone fad is spinners. I don't know when I last saw a set.

I'm not a fan of big wheels in general, whether aftermarket or OEM, although almost all OEMs look better than aftermarket. I recall once looking at a Jaguar S-type R, a car that comes from the factory with nice, simple 5-spoke wheels, and it had these awful bright chrome "spiky" 20" jobs on it. I was offered a good price on the car, but wanted to see what a set of factory wheels would cost. When I realized that the ~$1K off book for the car wouldn't make up for the cost of a set of factory wheels, I forgot that deal quickly!

Slammed/stanced whatever is probably even more ridiculous looking to me than donks, even though both are bad.

A lot of the things on the list tie into what I'd call ricer type cars, including the [censored] cans, big spoilers, stickers, body kits, super low ride heights on "rubber band" tires, and the like.

I look at the screen to see roads, exits, intersections and traffic changes coming up before voice commands tell me what to do. Placing it on the seat would be dangerous and take your eyes off the road.

If you are looking at a map that is 4" wide - YOUR EYES ARE OFF THE ROAD.

If you just listen to voice navI through your stereo with BT there is less distraction.

I had on, e used it for a day then I threw it in the sock drawer where it sits today.

Wife may have used it to go to Jersey from NH.

Now she uses WAZE app on the phone. It's better.

Nah NAh! Hee HEE.

If you just listen to voice navI through your stereo with BT there is less distraction.

I had on, e used it for a day then I threw it in the sock drawer where it sits today.

Nah NAh! Hee HEE.

Well yes, if you set it on the seat, YOUR EYES ARE OFF THE ROAD. However, a normal person sticks it on the windshield so a momentary glance is less distracting that looking at the speedometer or fiddling with the radio. The only real distraction I get is opening up a real map over the steering wheel at 70 mph and putting on some closeup glasses to check what's 50 or 100 miles ahead.

Nah NAh! Hee HEE.

Well yes, if you set it on the seat, YOUR EYES ARE OFF THE ROAD. However, a normal person sticks it on the windshield so a momentary glance is less distracting that looking at the speedometer or fiddling with the radio. The only real distraction I get is opening up a real map over the steering wheel at 70 mph and putting on some closeup glasses to check what's 50 or 100 miles ahead.

Classic example of inattentive driving right there. Arco is right on this one.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Nah NAh! Hee HEE.

Classic example of inattentive driving right there. Arco is right on this one.

I use Waze on dash if I need a quick glance on an unknown road as I have it hooked up to the radio as no Bluetooth. I also have Pandora playing so it is not distracting. If I pass up a road or exit I pull over in a convenient store parking lot then map it out.

Originally Posted by grampi
I didn't see the worst fad listed...black wheels...

Many of us like black wheels, on our black vehicles. Certainly a [censored] of a lot better than the list of garbage I presented.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by grampi
I didn't see the worst fad listed...black wheels...

Many of us like black wheels, on our black vehicles. Certainly a [censored] of a lot better than the list of garbage I presented.

Personal choice and taste. To me, at least from 20 feet away, they look like steel wheels that somebody stole the hubcaps off of. May be cool on a rat rod but not on something nice. The worst are the ones sprayed with flat black peel-off paint. A month later it start peeling and looks like crap.

One other thing-I don't really agree with their assessment of car bras.

I've never personally used them, but I see some value in them.

My dad use to run one on his Porsche 924 because the front end looked a little ratty and it looked better with that on than without.

If you're someone who does a lot of interstate driving, you know that your front end can take a beating from bugs, gravel being kicked up, and unfortunately other road debris. A bra at least covers the most susceptible part of your front end.

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
My dad use to run one on his Porsche 924 because the front end looked a little ratty and it looked better with that on than without.

Until one day you take it off and see the rest of the hood has faded so you have to repaint it anyway. Maybe a clear bra is better but it has problems of it's own.

Nah NAh! Hee HEE.

Haha the old school paper map!
laugh.gif

The worst thing that I could think of is the excess camber trend. Looks like your ride is broken down. Street cars are worthless to drive like this. No idea how this became a thing, humans are incredibly stupid. Different is not always better. Notice the duct taped flares on the 2nd pic LOL.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back