The world's last commercial ocean-going sailing ship

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
The world's last commercial ocean-going sailing ship - The Pamir - rounding Cape Horn, 1949. Very cool this ship was still in operation sailing one of the toughest stretches of the ocean known to man as late as 1949. Check this baby out!!! Wow, the sails are awesome. I would have loved to have a coffee or a drink with the Captain of the Pamir.

Of note, I was "taught" that men wearing an earring signified they had sailed through Cape Horn. Not sure if true, but that is what my Dad taught me as a boy (he was a merchant marine).

287598804_7489658704437662_7127476641442422109_n.jpg

The world's last commercial ocean-going sailing ship - The Pamir - rounding Cape Horn, 1949. Very cool this ship was still in operation sailing one of the toughest stretches of the ocean known to man as late as 1949. Check this baby out!!! Wow, the sails are awesome. I would have loved to have a coffee or a drink with the Captain of the Pamir.

Of note, I was "taught" that men wearing an earring signified they had sailed through Cape Horn. Not sure if true, but that is what my Dad taught me as a boy (he was a merchant marine).

View attachment 103816
I was told long ago that, Sailors wore a gold earring so that if they got drunk in a port, and their ship sailed without them, they could pawn the earring and have enough money to eat and catch back up with their ship. Sounded like a plan to me.,,,

• Wow
Reactions: GON
I heard the same regarding gold chains.

The picturesque side-wheeler, Ticonderoga, was said to be in use on Lake Champlain until 1954.
You can walk the ship as it's part of the AA+, 200 acre Shelburne Museum near Burlington, VT.

View attachment 103816
GON - you sure took lots of pictures when you were young 😷

There is a great series of videos, believe they were originally a documentary in the '70's, on the last sailing ships sailing around Cape Horn. Has interviews and lots of footage. Check YouTube.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Back