"The Wonder Years". Life in the 60's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As many of you know, I have an addiction about life before the 70's. This is why I ask so many question to older folks on BITOG.

My friend gave me a DVD set of a show called "The Wonder Years". It's a fictional story about a guy's life growing up. I was just wondering if any of you folks who lived life before the 70's watched it and how you think of the show
smile.gif

So far, I've finished the first season and I'm hooked! 5 more seasons to go!!

Does the DVD retain the music from the original series? Heard it took a long time to come out due to licensing issues.

I was born in mid 70s. I watched it when it was playing, which was from 1988 to 1993. I remember liking it a lot as a kid. One of the shows that shaped my view on America (I grew up in Europe), regardless how skewed.

I remember vaguely that the first two seasons were better than the rest.

Great show, I'm a few decades off from having anything to do with the 60's (younger), but remember watching this show on tv when it was prime time. Good stuff.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Does the DVD retain the music from the original series? Heard it took a long time to come out due to licensing issues.

Yup. So far they played Beetles and other popular songs back int he day. What is a reminiscence show without the proper music!!!

My wife and I are both in our late 20s, we grew up watching that show. Simpler way of life, I think people were more "community-oriented". Good times thats for sure.

Wonder Years was a great show for a few years. Too bad that there are not shows like that anymore. It was a much simpler time and a great time to experience first hand. You knew the people next door and really cared about each other. We were never in a hurry and seemed to have more time for friends and family. Great times to grow up but remember, years from now these may be the good old days. Make the most of them.

Being one of the first Baby Boomers, I came of age in the 60's. In my estimation, it was one of the most dynamic, yet chaotic decades of the Twentieth Century.

It started with "Leave It To Beaver" and effectively ended with the pullout of American troops from Vietnam. It encompassed the Vietnam War, Kennedy Assassination, Civil Rights, Space Race, Voting Rights, Watts Riots, desegregation, The Beatles and the drug counterculture. A good place to start getting an understanding of the 60s can be found here.

"The Wonder Years" is a romantic comedy which more or less accurately portrayed the 60's as seen through the eyes of a pre-adolescent and adolescent boy, but is not a realistic account of what was really happening in this decade.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Great show, I'm a few decades off from having anything to do with the 60's (younger), but remember watching this show on tv when it was prime time. Good stuff.

+1

Originally Posted By: bruckus
Wonder Years was a great show for a few years. Too bad that there are not shows like that anymore. It was a much simpler time and a great time to experience first hand. You knew the people next door and really cared about each other. We were never in a hurry and seemed to have more time for friends and family. Great times to grow up but remember, years from now these may be the good old days. Make the most of them.

I have the same sentiments from growing up in a middle class family in the 60's. Funny how we only remember the good stuff.

But, there were certainly darker aspects of the 60's. Popinski, definitely see the current movie "The Help" set in the '60's for a look at the racial attitudes back then with less sugar coating(great 1960's cars and settings too). The movie is deeper and more substantial than the trailer shows:

The Wonder Years covered Kevin's life from age 12 to 17, 1968 to 1973. I graduated high school in 1974 at 18, so I grew up during the exact time period.

I enjoyed the nostalgia of the show. Ahh, the trials of puberty. Going into Jr. High, 7th. grade...the thought of having to shower naked with everyone else was a constant worry for me that entire summer! The Vietnam war, walking on the moon, endless summers with fishing, summer romances. Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the show. I'll have to look it up again, as I should like it even more now.

I liked that show. It was exactly the time period for my age. I always rooted for Kevin to hook-up with Winnie, she was a winner! But he never did.

My favorite show was about how Kevin wanted to make friends with another girl, she was a little quirky, liked bats as I remember. But he folds due to peer pressure and doesn't get to know the girl. A shame. The adult voice-over at the end of the show goes on to say how the quirky girl became a real success in adult life and Kevin's adult wist-full remorse at not getting to know her. Kind of like real life. Working from a memory when the show originally aired, almost 30 years ago, guess that show made an impact.

I never really watched The Wonder Years.
I did enjoy Freaks and Geeks. It was much more how I remembered school in the early '80s than even movies of the time were like Fast Times at Ridgemont High

I was born in 1961. Too young to be aware of some things. I liked the show, and thought it did a fair job trying to show some of the things going on in our culture at the time.
But real life is more extreme than most shows.

Originally Posted By: drg
Where did he find the dvd's I've been looking for them for years

I kind of lied a little. My friend let me borrow his Netflix account. I said "DVD" because it is pretty much a universal format and easier to understand. Yes, the DVD is not out but streaming (DVD quality) is available on Netflix.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: bruckus

I have the same sentiments from growing up in a middle class family in the 60's. Funny how we only remember the good stuff.

But, there were certainly darker aspects of the 60's. Popinski, definitely see the current movie "The Help" set in the '60's for a look at the racial attitudes back then with less sugar coating(great 1960's cars and settings too). The movie is deeper and more substantial than the trailer shows:

The Wonder Years covered Kevin's life from age 12 to 17, 1968 to 1973. I graduated high school in 1974 at 18, so I grew up during the exact time period.

I enjoyed the nostalgia of the show. Ahh, the trials of puberty. Going into Jr. High, 7th. grade...the thought of having to shower naked with everyone else was a constant worry for me that entire summer! The Vietnam war, walking on the moon, endless summers with fishing, summer romances. Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the show. I'll have to look it up again, as I should like it even more now.

Looks like a good movie. Thanks for the recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back