"The Wonder Years". Life in the 60's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX

In the area I grew up in, one either walked to school or took public transportation. The idea of everybody needing a school bus was most foreign (but it was a fairly urban existance, still. today, school buses are ubiquitous now in the same area).

The pedophiles were just told to move out of town and no longer get involved in youth sports or boy scouts. It was kept hushed up.

The Georgia city I grew up in had sort of a reverse desegregation thing. They would cherry pick white students to get bussed into the inner-city school. Since I rode the bus to the inner-city school, they did not have to bus African American children to the "nice white school" (that had air conditioning. My school did not. Ever been in coastal Georgia on a late summer day? It's not refreshing and cool, it's hot)

The pedophiles were above reproach and unassailiable. Often (but not limited to) church leaders. To speak out against one meant that at the minimum, you would destroy your own credibility. The little girl who spoke out against our church's bishop went "away". Her family still attended services. She was absent and nothing was spoken of her again. She was not seen playing in the neighborhood. She was just gone.
Another little girl's family was disfellowshipped. The rumor was that the family had "bore false witness against the church." She was one of the kids on my side of the street that went to the inner-city school and rode the bus with me. She never smiled again, nor did she speak.

I miss the muscle cars of the 60's. GTO's, 442's, Grand Sports, 383 and 440 powered Mopar's, 390 cid Mustangs, 427 Vettes, 55 thru 57 Chevys with hot engines. Not the controlled acelleration of say a current Corvette but the awesome tire spinning, fishtailing, speed shifting, great sounding V8's of the 60's!

Originally Posted By: callbay
I miss the muscle cars of the 60's. GTO's, 442's, Grand Sports, 383 and 440 powered Mopar's, 390 cid Mustangs, 427 Vettes, 55 thru 57 Chevys with hot engines. Not the controlled acelleration of say a current Corvette but the awesome tire spinning, fishtailing, speed shifting, great sounding V8's of the 60's!

If you launch it right (or wrong, depending on how you look at it), you can have that same violent, smokey, almost out of control experience in most any current C6 variant (just switch off the launch control/any other nannies).
The Z06, Grand Sport, and ZR1 even have a decent stock exhaust wail/roar while doing it as well.
wink.gif
34.gif
thumbsup2.gif

ha, me thinks you need to go for a ride!

The muscle cars of today are in a whole different league than our old 'daze', and most of the nannies are easily disabled if you want the smoky memories.

I've had two different old muscle machines challenge me and it wasn't even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back