The Wedding Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
2020-2021 may have been a lean years but there is actually a backlog of impending nuptials now that is making it a challenge to pull off a wedding. Venues, florists, etc. are booked up and friends that are supposed to be in the wedding are already booked with other weddings. Oh the drama. Oh the humanity.

When we married 50+ years ago, the total cost including food at the reception was about $300. I have youngers telling me they have installment payments for $20-25k weddings=nuts to go into debt like that. And gee, 60% fail and then the lawyers have their fun. What a world!

We got married in 2016…. The second my mom mentioned a wedding the price went from $70 to $300 for a few dozen cupcakes. Same cupcakes, same amount of cupcakes, but because they had the word wedding on them the price shot up. Ridiculous. We had a courthouse wedding and pizza for the reception lol

Fixed:
Weddings are such a waste of money.
You can make it cheap, even a small $50 meal with your close friend or a potluck in your backyard can be memorable.

2020-2021 may have been a lean years but there is actually a backlog of impending nuptials now that is making it a challenge to pull off a wedding. Venues, florists, etc. are booked up and friends that are supposed to be in the wedding are already booked with other weddings. Oh the drama. Oh the humanity.
I know quite a few friends and coworkers who got pregnant without getting a wedding last year, they just get married in front of the judge in the city hall or didn't even bother getting married. To be honest it is really more of an emotional experience and it isn't going to make you any more or less likely to divorce.

When we married 50+ years ago, the total cost including food at the reception was about $300. I have youngers telling me they have installment payments for $20-25k weddings=nuts to go into debt like that. And gee, 60% fail and then the lawyers have their fun. What a world!

I know quite a few that cost more than that. Mine probably ended up being 30k total about 10 years ago. Anyways, it is like a vacation, you can go on one with a big budget or a small budget, but you should always think about it before you spend it.

We got married in 2016…. The second my mom mentioned a wedding the price went from $70 to $300 for a few dozen cupcakes. Same cupcakes, same amount of cupcakes, but because they had the word wedding on them the price shot up. Ridiculous. We had a courthouse wedding and pizza for the reception lol
I can see the stress of being in a wedding. If you screw up an order you can just refund a regular customer or "give them a discount next time". If you screw up a wedding you can bet people will talk trash about you all over town. We had a vendor screw up and I left a big bad review on yelp, and I am sure that causes a lot of problem with them (they deserve it, they lied about knowing the size of tables of a particular restaurant and they end up with the wrong stuff on the wedding day).

The same goes for a lot of one time event work, they likely require a lot of prep and a lot of "spares" that will be tossed away, but must still be done as backups. Or at the very least they have to block off a particular time to prepare for the wedding business, and make sure nothing can go wrong.

Where I work we cater to photographers and last year really hurt the ones that do weddings but they are slowly coming back.

I've talked to photographers from all around the US and the most expensive weddings seem to be in New York City, it's nothing for a wedding to go into six figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back