The Used Car Market in 2021 (Jeep Wranglers)

So, I can't talk my wife out of getting a Jeep Wrangler (A vehicle I suspect will wear off very quickly and she won't want), and have come to realize that the used market for them is even more off its rocker than other used cars. $30,000 for a 10-year-old Wrangler with 80k on it? Are you kidding me? People have an awfully big opinion of a vehicle that's still carrying around 30-year-old technology that the engineering has been paid for ages ago.

It probably doesn't help that I will not entertain anything older than 2012 (Engine reasons) or anything that has been modified already or has big stupid tires on it. This thing needs to serve as her daily driver, and she would contaminate the driver seat and never drive it again if she ever ran up against any form of the Jeep Death Wobble, nor am I replacing a $1200 set of tires.

I'm really just venting about the used car market continuing to be insane.

Yea, we're kind of half looking at that, might well be where she ends up. I just fear that she is going to realize that it's really not a good choice for her to daily drive and the newness is going to wear off quick. Or she's going to be tired of getting crap milage. 🤷‍♂️ She's never even driven one that I'm aware of.

Reactions: JC1
Yea, we're kind of half looking at that, might well be where she ends up. I just fear that she is going to realize that it's really not a good choice for her to daily drive and the newness is going to wear off quick. Or she's going to be tired of getting crap milage. 🤷‍♂️ She's never even driven one that I'm aware of.

I've only rented them, they're fun and unique vehicles but nothing I would want to drive on a daily commute. Warning though, on a test drive she'll want it even more...I even looked at one after I rented one and took it on this trip.

Screenshot 2021-03-19 222447.png

I feel for you brother, My wife wants a new ride....A truck, But complains anytime she drives anything that doesn't get the MPG her Corolla gets. Talk about a rock & a hard place.

Once things loosen up....She'll get a Pentastar/8HP Ram & have to accept whatever MPG it gets.

I feel for you brother, My wife wants a new ride....A truck, But complains anytime she drives anything that doesn't get the MPG her Corolla gets. Talk about a rock & a hard place.

Once things loosen up....She'll get a Pentastar/8HP Ram & have to accept whatever MPG it gets.
I'm really sortof hoping she swaps back to wanting a 2010-2015 Pilot. I know those come with some other issues (VCM), but they're a lot more reasonable on the market right now. Doesn't solve the MPG thing though, they're still a massive brick in the air.

Yeah, the market is crazy! Even some local junkers around here go for 5k+. Just saw a 2002 Cavalier w/108k going for 6995! I have yet to see any type of Jeep going less than 10k here, regardless of age/miles. It doesn’t help the the Wrangler has turned into a trendy status item either.....

It doesn’t help the the Wrangler has turned into a trendy status item either.....
So much this...X100000

And, I just re-read your post and noticed your location. I don't think I believe you. There's no way there's still a Cavalier alive in the north, I'd have thought that thing would have turned to dust ages ago. Couldn't tell you the last time I saw one in the south, let alone in saltland!!

This is my daily driver … but I don’t drive to work (rent car and/or fly) …
The newer Wranglers are more refined but that’s relative to being a Jeep Wrangler.
My wife loves to drive it around town … it’s for sure our short trip vehicle because they maneuver so well … Tahoe for long trips … As for technology ? Mine is equipped with electronic safety features, e-lockers, heated seats, wheel, navigation etc …

231DD3F5-AB8D-4F6E-98E4-EF190892F793.jpeg
AEE36E8F-0DD8-4C65-9235-7ED4B9242D56.jpeg

Last edited:
The used market is crazy for Wranglers. When I worked for a Lexus dealership we had a metallic orange painted one. It was ONE of 6 in the entire Front range area, and one of two that were only a couple years old. We had it priced competitively and had already knocked $3k off the sticker. A crazy lady came in, and complained about the price until she realized it was the only newer one close to her. I've driven a number of Jeep Wranglers but yeah they drive like an off-road vehicle. They do have a ton of options.

Go new, and do the best that you can.

If the novelty wears off, as you suspect it will, it should hold its value well and you should be able to recoup a high percentage of what you've got in it.

Good luck.

Last edited:
+3 on buying new. Don't be afraid to expand your search geographically. It sounds like she's not too picky on options as long as it's cute.

Should make for some competitively priced leases, no? Might be an option, especially if you think she will get tired of it.

Yeah, prices are high. My bare bones (but under 100k) 2012 truck is worth a little more than half of what I paid new.

Idk. She might stick with it. If the jeep is the right car, she’ll stay in it. I dont know why... while not a wrangler, i loved my zj. That thing had an allure. Some folks get them and the jeep bug bites and its a match.

I've only rented them, they're fun and unique vehicles but nothing I would want to drive on a daily commute. Warning though, on a test drive she'll want it even more...I even looked at one after I rented one and took it on this trip.
I think it might be a good idea for her to rent one for a week, but just use it for her daily commuting/normal errands. Doing fun vacation things will make her want one more, but a week of driving it to work and doing errands will probably be enough time to tell if she really wants to drive one everyday, or just rent one occasionally, or never drive one again.

I know Enterprise carries them. I'm sure everyone else does too because Wrangler.

Going mainstream/4 doors with the Wrangler was definitely a good business decision. Hardly anyone bought TJs as family cars, now mostly four door Wranglers are EVERYWHERE.

Back