The Used Car Market in 2021 (Jeep Wranglers)

I have daily driven my 02 since I bought it new. It has been on road trips but mostly local stuff. I really like it. It has been very dependable and has never let me down.
Not sure if this fits my definition of dependable:

Not sure if this fits my definition of dependable:

Always started. Been miles out in the desert and got me back. Our FJ has had much more serious problems than my Jeep. Most annoying thing is the rear shocks. That is not a Jeep part. Made by Gabriel or Monroe. it is due for some tie rods soon. 184k as of today.

Attachments

• IMG_20210321_115722370_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210321_115722370_HDR.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Always started. Been miles out in the desert and got me back. Our FJ has had much more serious problems than my Jeep. Most annoying thing is the rear shocks. That is not a Jeep part. Made by Gabriel or Monroe it is due for some time rods soon.

What problems has your FJ had, other than rodent chewed wires, and being vandalized by losers?

Ball joints. Axles. Control arm bushings etc. The front end is frail. A busted shock on a Jeep will still get you home. A broken ball joint won't.

You bought it well used didn't you? I wonder what it's life was like before you got it.

A Forester? Really?
Why not just force her to drive a 20 year old Yaris that was rolled over in a ditch instead?
Let the Woman drive what she wants, not what someone else thinks she should, because their mindset is all women are stupid, and must listen to the man.
Boring!!!
BITOG clearly wrote this scene from Clueless....

Yes, we definitely shouldn't assume that a solid axle SUV isn't what she wants. I do think she needs to drive it first, but plenty of people do like daily driving vehicles like a Wrangler.

My parents have been married close to 50 years and whoever's turn it is to get a new vehicle picks what they want. Mom has a bright red Ranger 4.0, Dad has a tan Subaru.

Which is exactly how it should be. Spouses Shouldn't be telling the other what they need to drive. My Mother passed away when I was only 2, but I guarantee that if she was still with us, Dad would not be telling her what 'she needs' to drive. A spouse should be supportive, even if 'they' think a vehicle might be a mistake. Who cares, if she decides that it isn't what she wants in time, sell it, and get something else. I'm not married, but if I was, and my husband picked out my vehicle, I would then pick out his...Pretty sure somewhere is a Mary Kay car for sale.

63 yr old female real estate agent bought it new.

Do you know how she used it? Was she doing lots of off-roading looking at/for new development sites in the desert for example?

I'm just curious, as I know a guy with 260k on his FJ. He does explore lots of BLM land trails with his. All it has needed is regular wear items like tires, brakes, and regular preventive maintenance. All original drivetrain.

Last edited:
Which is exactly how it should be. Spouses Shouldn't be telling the other what they need to drive. My Mother passed away when I was only 2, but I guarantee that if she was still with us, Dad would not be telling her what 'she needs' to drive. A spouse should be supportive, even if 'they' think a vehicle might be a mistake. Who cares, if she decides that it isn't what she wants in time, sell it, and get something else. I'm not married, but if I was, and my husband picked out my vehicle, I would then pick out his...Pretty sure somewhere is a Mary Kay car for sale.
I am glad that my wife chose a 4x4 as we need it here. I complain about the Toyota but I sure would not want to be maintaining a BMW on my roads! Glad she chose a car that is more sensible for our roads. Here is a video. This is the shortest and smoothest way for me to get to a street.

Do you know how she used it? Was she doing lots of off-roading looking at/for new development sites in the desert for example?

I'm just curious, as I know a guy with 260k on his FJ. He does explore lots of BLM land trails with his. All it has needed is regular wear items like tires, brakes, and regular preventive maintenance. All original drivetrain.
That I do not know. Other than that she worked in Orange county Ca.

Going from 20mpg to 30mpg would save you a whopping $45 a month. I saved more money than that by not eating out and getting coffee as often.
For my wife it's $72/ month cost difference at 3 bucks a gallon - she drives a lot.
Me being retired driving 500 mile /month fuel mileage is not an issue.

Other than poor efficiency wasting resources
But with solar making ~ 175watt/sq metre petrol may NOT be a highly consumed resource in 20 years

A Forester? Really?
Why not just force her to drive a 20 year old Yaris that was rolled over in a ditch instead?
Let the Woman drive what she wants, not what someone else thinks she should, because their mindset is all women are stupid, and must listen to the man.
Boring!!!
And angry, too? :)

No one is forcing anyone to do anything. These are suggestions.

But there is a LOT of selfishness in buying a Jeep for 40-50K because it is "Cool and Popular"
And many of these folks have average middle income, They will be Car Poor.

But that's America right now, the land of the: " me, me, ME" brats !

But maybe I'm just an old, tight Scot who had his fun in the 80's and hollerin' at the vital youth.

I had to sell my Cafe racer 500cc two stroke 'Zuki
Now you know why I'm grumpy!

I am glad that my wife chose a 4x4 as we need it here. I complain about the Toyota but I sure would not want to be maintaining a BMW on my roads! Glad she chose a car that is more sensible for our roads. Here is a video. This is the shortest and smoothest way for me to get to a street.

That is a brutal drive. You are in Jeep country for sure. I drive a 900 foot long gravel driveway, to a sort of paved road, its not great but not bad, do that for about 2 miles, then hit the hwy.

So, I can't talk my wife out of getting a Jeep Wrangler (A vehicle I suspect will wear off very quickly and she won't want), and have come to realize that the used market for them is even more off its rocker than other used cars. $30,000 for a 10-year-old Wrangler with 80k on it? Are you kidding me? People have an awfully big opinion of a vehicle that's still carrying around 30-year-old technology that the engineering has been paid for ages ago.

The prices are insane, but you have it backwards. The old tech is exactly why they are worth more.

That means simpler to repair and fewer things to go wrong. I wish all vehicles were still built like this.

If you can't be comfortable in a 30 year old vehicle in good condition, that's not the vehicles' fault, rather a mental obstruction. If you can't drive safely in one, same thing, though a jeep, yeah take corners slower lol.

The new ones, JL's are not too rough as a DD. They made lots of improvements to the body and suspension to make them much more tolerable as a daily.

I would go new if she really wants one. Wranglers have always been stupid expensive used and are not a good value. Being a Jeep, especially a Wrangler, you have no idea what type of life it's lived before your ownership...

And angry, too? :)

No one is forcing anyone to do anything. These are suggestions.

But there is a LOT of selfishness in buying a Jeep for 40-50K because it is "Cool and Popular"
And many of these folks have average middle income, They will be Car Poor.

But that's America right now, the land of the: " me, me, ME" brats !

But maybe I'm just an old, tight Scot who had his fun in the 80's and hollerin' at the vital youth.

I had to sell my Cafe racer 500cc two stroke 'Zuki
Now you know why I'm grumpy!
Well in 2020 you did buy the cheapest Ford possible......

Tell her to wait for the new Bronco.

Every Wrangler, even the new ones, I've driven has sucked. I can't stand them.

Well, she just quit her job this week, so it looks like she's going to be sporting the 03 Accord a while longer.

Back