The use “their” instead of his or her.

I understand that “their” is becoming acceptable to use instead of his or her. It used to be that “their” referred to multiple people.

I heard it in use lately when a police chief said clearly on a news conference “ The officer drew their weapon .” Have you guys seen this type of use of the word their? I’m not a speech egghead, but wanted to see if this is a thing.

Last edited:
"used with an indefinite third person singular antecedent" So yes, "their" can be used in singular form.

Recently I got confused in an article that had this issue. Took me reading it a couple of times to realize the usage of "their" for a non-binary person.

The more I come across it, the more normal it seems.

I understand that “their” is becoming acceptable to use instead of his or her. It used to be that “their” referred to multiple people.

I heard it in use lately when a police chief said clearly on a news conference “ The officer drew their weapon .” Have you guys seen this type of use of the word their? I’m not a speech egghead, but wanted to see if this is a thing.
Woke idiot gibberish. JMO

Their is the possessive pronoun, as in "their car is red"; there is used as an adjective, "he is always there for me," a noun, "get away from there," and, chiefly, an adverb, "stop right there"; they're is a contraction of "they are," as in "they're getting married."

Kick me out for this, but this is how I see it, and I'm going to call you how I see it...

XY chromosomes, you are a he, his, male.

XX chromosomes, you are a she, her, female.

...and don't give me that crap about not being able to tell the difference. If you are of sober mind, you know...no matter how hard they try.

Last edited:
Kick me out for this, but this is how I see it, and I'm going to call you how I see it...

...and don't give me that crap about not being able to tell the difference. If you are of sober mind, you know...no matter how hard they try.
This would make it pretty easy to decide which sports division you compete in, wouldn't you say? For example, "XY chromosomes, you are a he, his, male."...you compete in the "Mens" sport and "XX chromosomes, you are a she, her, female.", well...that means you compete in the "Women's" sports.

:)

Ed

This would make it pretty easy to decide which sports division you compete in, wouldn't you say? For example, "XY chromosomes, you are a he, his, male."...you compete in the "Mens" sport and "XX chromosomes, you are a she, her, female.", well...that means you compete in the "Women's" sports.

:)

Ed
agree 100%

It's called compelled speech and you guys are getting primed for it. Google Bill C-16 in Canadian charter of rights. They can put peope in front of a human rights tribunal for not using preferred pronouns. After that doesn't work it's fines and jail.

Welcome to the woke culture.
IF that happens here in the USA, I will pay a fine, or go to jail.

I suppose it can mean that, but it is probably more commonly used when the gender of a person was not clear, as in, "To each their own," as a newer way of saying, "To each his own." "Each student needs to take a paper out of their backpack, etc." So the primary use here isn't that it is a polite way of referring to people who have an identity crisis, but just that it could be referring to either men or women.

Recently I got confused in an article that had this issue. Took me reading it a couple of times to realize the usage of "their" for a non-binary person.

The more I come across it, the more normal it seems.

"Their" comes easily to the tongue when speaking, but it's not grammatically correct.

Lots of words are becoming common. My least favourite new word is "racialized", which is right up there with "fisher-persons" and "fishers".
Their as a singular person means possessive as in; their car or their home.

How do you replace her or him in a sentence?

Give the spare change to him. It would be incorrect to say give the spare change to them , meaning a singular person.

I guess you could say give them their spare change, but now you have to change the entire sentence.

“ The officer drew their weapon .” Have you guys seen this type of use of the word their? I’m not a speech egghead, but wanted to see if this is a thing.

I can only offer my opinion. If the gender of the officer was unknown to the author or person reporting, the use of "their" was simply lazy and the author should have used "his or her." The use of "their" can also imply that the officer in question doesn't identify with merely one gender but maybe both or three, or maybe is a tweener/twiener? But what does that matter really? It's all unecessarily complicated.

Last edited:

Ok, you tell me, I forgot what what pat was. This was SNL years ago.

Kick me out for this, but this is how I see it. I am going to call you how I see it...

What about intersex persons? Persons whose development doesn't match their chromosomes.

Yep. We take a simple blood sample and...SHAZAM...we tell you which sport division you're allowed to compete in! That's MY definition of fair!
What if they test as XXYY? Link.

Ok, you tell me, I forgot what what pat was. This was SNL years ago.

What about intersex persons? Persons whose development doesn't match their chromosomes.
Heinlein wrote a nice short story about that, called All You Zombies.

Back